Requesting a Hand Shower

Buddy604

I'm a "fluffy" guy and find the regular Princess showers to be unpleasantly close, plus I have a spinal issue that makes it hard for me to stand upright for very long and I often resort to a shower stool. Nonetheless, as I do not have to use a wheelchair or scooter, I leave the handicapped accessible cabins for those who truly need it.

On a chance I contacted the Princess Access Office and found out I could request a hand shower be installed in my cabin. I did so, and they managed to have both legs of my B2B switched to one cabin, and the installed shower was waiting for me when I embarked a couple of weeks later.

I'll attach a picture to show the setup.

Just thought this might be a good tip for others who are fluffy or who need a shower stool and find the regular shower head too high from the stool.

Mike

HandShower.jpg.336805d567606b4025ae4dda80e33993.jpg

I'm much fluffier now than I used to be and that would have been nice on most cruises I have been on without the luxury of a bathtub (love those minisuites). Especially on the Mississippi/Delta Queen boats where you are almost sitting on the toilet while showering!

Good information for all of us.

I'm a "fluffy" guy and find the regular Princess showers to be unpleasantly close, plus I have a spinal issue that makes it hard for me to stand upright for very long and I often resort to a shower stool. Nonetheless, as I do not have to use a wheelchair or scooter, I leave the handicapped accessible cabins for those who truly need it.

On a chance I contacted the Princess Access Office and found out I could request a hand shower be installed in my cabin. I did so, and they managed to have both legs of my B2B switched to one cabin, and the installed shower was waiting for me when I embarked a couple of weeks later.

Just thought this might be a good tip for others who are fluffy or who need a shower stool and find the regular shower head too high from the stool.

Mike

That's great news! I'll add it to my request for a foam mattress topper! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried this today and was turned down. Fleet Services and/or the Access office said they do not have any hand showers that can be attached in any room on the Caribbean Princess. We'll live as we have a mini, but I think my Grandmother will have a difficult time with the shower. Guess there is always the bath!

I'm not sure if I was given the wrong information or if this is a ship by ship issue.

Just tried this today and was turned down. Fleet Services and/or the Access office said they do not have any hand showers that can be attached in any room on the Caribbean Princess. We'll live as we have a mini, but I think my Grandmother will have a difficult time with the shower. Guess there is always the bath!

I'm not sure if I was given the wrong information or if this is a ship by ship issue.

If you need to be able to help your Grandmother with showering, you might try the spa locker room or the pool locker room. The shower is larger and it is very easy to help someone in them. I too am fluffy and I love to swim and if there is a locker room available it just makes sense to bathe in the locker room (just like I do at the atheletic club). Since this is my normal routine I just put my clothes or my pop over dress/coverup in my tote and I'm done. I REALLY hate the little bathrooms but if that is the price of cruising I find a way to HATE it less:p

I too wonder if it is a ship-by-ship matter. We've been blessed with hand-showers both times we cruised the Coral and I believe when we were on the Diamond.

Now I wonder if the Emerald has hand-showers? We're cruising her this fall.

This sounds marvellous but I am surprised they are required. I have been on several different Princess and RCI ships and they have all had hand held showers (removable from their holder) I thought this was general

I would not like permanent high shower heads as I don t always wash my hair at the same time:eek:

This sounds marvellous but I am surprised they are required. I have been on several different Princess and RCI ships and they have all had hand held showers (removable from their holder) I thought this was general

I would not like permanent high shower heads as I don t always wash my hair at the same time:eek:

I now can't remember, but I've been on the Grand, Diamond, Star and Dawn. Don't remember what the showerheads were, but from what the OP here said I should expect a fixed showerhead. I went online and found a picture of a Caribbean Princess mini - looks like a fixed showerhead to me unless it pulls out of the wall.

Again, no biggie for us, but I was reporting that I tried and failed to get this accommodation.

minisuite bathroom

Most staterooms on Princess ships have fixed shower heads. Handicapped accessible staterooms have a hand held shower, and our suite on the Pacific Princess had a handheld shower, but I don't remember ever having one in any other category or on any other ship in the fleet.

On the Royal Princess we had a handheld shower. I don't remember any other Princess cruise that I've been on that had a hand held shower. I don't know if it is just the small ships or other ships also. We were in an aft cabin but not a suite.

Mike

After looking at the picture you posted, I think that this hand held shower may be standard on all the R class ships as this is the same as the shower on the Royal. I don't think that they added a handheld to your bathroom as a special request.

I hope our shower has the hand held type. We are sailing on the Emerald in September. This will be our first cruise on Princess. The other 4 lines have all had hand held shower heads if I recall correctly. I thought it was standard.

I hope our shower has the hand held type. We are sailing on the Emerald in September. This will be our first cruise on Princess. The other 4 lines have all had hand held shower heads if I recall correctly. I thought it was standard.

Unless you are in an accessible stateroom, you will not have a hand held shower on the Emerald, sorry!

No handheld in our Emerald cabin either.

Mike:)

After looking at the picture you posted, I think that this hand held shower may be standard on all the R class ships as this is the same as the shower on the Royal. I don't think that they added a handheld to your bathroom as a special request.
You are correct that the R-class ships have a hand-held shower, and probably the same model I received, but I wasn't on an R-Class ship when I requested it - I was on the Sapphire Princess. The Sapphire, like the Diamond, has fixed shower heads in all rooms, enless otherwise requested.

I'm surprised. When I initially spoke to the access office they told me it was no problem and that was before they knew which ship I was on.

No handheld in our Emerald cabin either.

Mike:)

Thats a bummer. Like someone else said.....sometimes you want a shower and skip the hair till later in the day. I really dont like those hair cap thingies. I think its odd in this day and age that Princess doesnt have them and the other lines do. Drats!

Archived