Dress code in Rome?

everydayavacation

So I am guessing you no longer have to cover your head?

Last time we were in Rome, my grandma and mother, got tissues out of their purses,and used bobby pins to keep the tissue on the top of our heads!:)

LOL - it has been a few years, hasn't it. No more head covering.

This is probably WAY more than you wanted to know on the subject, but Canon 1262, which was only introduced in 1917, is where the requirement for women covering their heads came from (based on scriptural references). According to a canon law expert (see discussion here: http://www.canonlaw.info/2006/09/vatican-ii-canon-1262-and-chapel-veils.html), it wasn't actually repealed, but the canon simply disappeared from code published in 1983. I suspect that they were simply giving in to what had already become custom in the church (in other words, the law followed the people, rather than the other way around).

The Vatican is the only place that will be stricter on dress code in Rome!

I can tell from having visited Rome more time then I can count that you DO always have the option of buying a cheap scarf to cover your shoulder up if worse comes to worse.

Just make sure you havnt waited in line for an hour only to be asked to cover up once your about to step inside :)

Have a GREAT time in Roma!

Any suggestions for guys? We will be there in July and I can't recall any shorts for guys that cover the knees.

We just returned from Rome and I agree with the above posters who say to err on the side of caution. I would wear capris...knees covered, cool. For men, our husbands both wore very lightweight travel pants.

I did not see anyone turned away from the Vatican sites, but did see people turned away from some smaller churches we visited. One of the things we enjoyed about Rome was suddenly coming upon charming little churches and being able to walk in to enjoy the peace and calm. Almost every one had someone at the door.

Our weather was spring-like...really quite nice, yet there were a few days where we felt the heat. I cannot even begin to imagine how roasting it must be in the summer months. We wore long pants every day, and it was no issue, and were boggled by all the Romans we saw in coats, knee-high boots, big scarves. I felt suffocated just watching them!

LOL - it has been a few years, hasn't it. No more head covering.

This is probably WAY more than you wanted to know on the subject, but Canon 1262, which was only introduced in 1917, is where the requirement for women covering their heads came from (based on scriptural references). According to a canon law expert (see discussion here: http://www.canonlaw.info/2006/09/vatican-ii-canon-1262-and-chapel-veils.html), it wasn't actually repealed, but the canon simply disappeared from code published in 1983. I suspect that they were simply giving in to what had already become custom in the church (in other words, the law followed the people, rather than the other way around).

thanks and actually pretty interesting, I probably should know that, although my kids probably learned it in religion class!

Archived