Dress code in Rome?

everydayavacation

I've read some conflicting info about how strict the dress code can be in Rome/Vatican and other religious sites in Europe...can anyone shed light on recent experiences you've had? For example, if I wear a dress that hits just at the knee or just above the knee and my shoulders/arms are fully covered will I be turned away at some places? Do the knees need to be fully covered too? We travel the first wk of Sept so I'm worried it may still be very hot and was hoping to get by with some conservative sundresses and carrying a cardigan with me to put on before heading inside religous sites. Thanks for any info!

We were there in April; it was quite warm--80-85. Our first day touring I wore dark jeans, dark socks and black shoes and a short-sleeved (not sleeveless) top. I was terribly hot all day. I would have felt uncomfortable visiting the religious sites with uncovered knees and shoulders.

The next day (Vatican & St. Peter's) I wore a tank top and over it a short-sleeved button up white shirt and capris. I wore the white shirt in the religious sites. I was much, much more comfortable.

I really did not notice anyone wearing shorts or skirts above the knees (remember, this was April). Can you find a skirt that hits the bottom of your knees? Or capris?

I did see a few women in the Vatican museum with sleeveless tops. I saw some men with the longer (calf-length) shorts. Most people wore jeans.

If touring Rome again during warm months I'd definitely wear something that covers my knees but not full length, and wear layers on top--like your sundress (below knees) and cardigan.

The Romans were for the most part dressed in very 'wintery' (to me) clothing, even to hooded, quilted winter coats, leather jackets, wooly scarves, sweaters, etc. in the heat.

I also saw a lot of people with shorter skirts and leggings underneath, but to me this would be very hot also.

It is confusing, because not all churches have the same rules, and they are inconsistently enforced.

I've seen some pretty funny sights over the years. Last year, at Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome (one of the patriarchal basilicas), they handed out what looked like small, burgundy colored tablecloths to women wearing shorts, very short skirts, or bare shoulders. There were a dozen or so (mostly young) women wandering about the church with these cloths draped around them.

As long as your skirt is clearly in the vicinity of your knees, and not clearly above them, you'll be fine.

Upper arms can be a tad trickier. It seems that most guards think a sleeveless, yet full-shouldered, shirt is fine, while a few regard them as not enough coverage. This inconsistency is best addressed, in my opinion, by a large scarf or a light weight sweater or shirt that you can carry around and put on as needed. It would be a shame to be uncomfortably hot all day just to visit a couple of the churches - this solution allows you to be both comfortable and respectful.

I've read some conflicting info about how strict the dress code can be in Rome/Vatican and other religious sites in Europe...can anyone shed light on recent experiences you've had? For example, if I wear a dress that hits just at the knee or just above the knee and my shoulders/arms are fully covered will I be turned away at some places? Do the knees need to be fully covered too? We travel the first wk of Sept so I'm worried it may still be very hot and was hoping to get by with some conservative sundresses and carrying a cardigan with me to put on before heading inside religous sites. Thanks for any info!

In general, for women, pants, capris, or skirts or dresses to the knees are fine. The entire arm does not need to be covered.

As long as your cardigan covers your back area that would be fine. If too much skin is exposed on the back with the sweater over it then wear some other item. I say this so that to be respectful of some of the places you will be visiting not because someone is going to say you can't visit the site.

Keith

Dress comfortably. Then take a lightweight large scarf or pareo in your bag. It can be whipped out and used to cover shoulders or tied around your waist to be a longer skirt. You will actually see vendors outside selling these to tourists who are inappropriately dressed and have been turned away.

The thing is to just dress modestly. Not necessarily like a nun ;)

We saw people in sleeveless tops and shorts everywhere. The locals may consider you gauche, but you're unlikely to be denied entrance. That included the Vatican Museums.

The exception was St. Peter's and the Scavi tour. For those, shoulders and knees must be covered for both men and women.

I saw many a lady dressed with skirts at the knee or above, see attached.

FWIW why risk it, travel thousands of miles spend thousands of dollars, pack a outfit that is both comfortable and won't be questioned.

While I was waiting to get into a Church in Florence I saw the an Australian couple denied entrance to a Church because of bare shoulders. Seemed a pitty to go so far and well you know.

1213266328_4100_RomeStPeter.jpg.ec9b1894f622ca4ed6b451ca20c560f6.jpg

You people are confusing her. The OP complained about "conflicting informatoin." Now, I certainly have not visited a lot of cathedrals in my life, but in the U.S. capital, you can visit the National Cathedral in casual attire. I cannot imagine why people must dress up to visit St, Peter's if they are just tourists. However, I would not pack a miniskirt or tank top if I had one.

I wore a skort that was knee-length and a blouse/cami combo. It was fine and handy when doing the stairs and bridges that surround the Vatican. I always carry a lightweight scarf in my carry bag to slip on and off my head in the churches or holy sites.

Tourists must dress appropriately to enter St Peter's because it is a rule and because it is enforced (albeit inconsistently). Perhaps this image will make it clear:

DressCode-JG.jpg

Other churches usually request similarly appropriate attire, but many of them do not have the resources to ensure that the request is honored, sadly, so people will wear "what they can get away with."

My personal feeling is that I am visiting someone else's house of worship -- someone who is graciously making that experience possible by opening their sanctuary or cathedral or church or mosque to me, usually at no charge whatsoever. The least I can do is honor their request to dress appropriately.

A few years ago, we had a weekend in Rome in February. IT was a very cold weekend.

But it was great fun on the Sunday to watch the women strolling along in their fabulous (fake - I hope!) fur coats and shades. The men, in their designer suits ( and shades!), looked like they had just stepped out of the 'Godfather' set!!!!

This is no help to you at all, I know! But in answer to your question I would say be comfortable and modest.

I cannot imagine why people must dress up to visit St, Peter's if they are just tourists.

Because they make the rules - it's their church - see Cruisermoms pic !

FWIW: I have seen them turn away those not dressed properly. They were some mad people too.....the mom was screaming her head off...... wondered why her daughter in the midriff tube top and mini skirt wasnt being let in. It is a "tourist attraction" isnt it ????? Sheesh

Also..... most cruises visit more than one country - we found that in Greece some monastaries had their dress code, in Italy another....and in others such as Turkey - yet another. For the most part you are okay if you just use your common sense and remember that this is THEIR place of worship and most are still much more formal than we have become here in the US.

I found a broom skirt that I am going to wear to the Vatican. If you don't know what it is, just Google it and you will see pictures.;)

They are long enough to cover the knee, and the light weight fabric will be cool in the hot summer months.

Wear it with a short sleeve blouse or t-shirt. Easy and comfortable!:)

I can tell you, that when we visited the Vatican (last August) it was blistering hot and everyone I saw had both their shoulders and Knees covered. For those that didn't, they were asked to purchase a shawl (or shawls) in the gift shop to cover bare shoulders and wrap around their skirts to form another skirt that went below the knee. In fact a young girl ahead of us (probably no older than about 13) had a tank top on and her mother had to step out of line and run into the gift shop to make the purchase (they were 10 euros I believe) September is probably still very warm, so I would dress lightly but be sure to cover knees and shoulders with a pair of cotton capri's, a tank top, and little shrug perhaps that can be removed when you exit.

I lived in Germany for several years, and found that throughout Europe, it's strongly preferred that you have shoulders covered. Rome is the most strict, from my experience.

Knees are tougher--I've never seen anyone turned away for an "at the knees" skirt or dress. It's tough to find below the knee for me, so I've always been alert to this. Nearly everything I find is either ankle-length, which I hate, or an inch above. I think the inch-above (skimming the top of your knees) is fine; however, a mini will likely get you turned away.

During very hot months, I've gone pretty much everywhere in an at-the-knees sundress, then pulled a VERY lightweight cardigan out of my bag when I get to a cathedral and pulled it on. It's cool enough inside most cathedrals that I don't roast, and I take the cardigan off again when I go outside. I felt perfectly well-dressed and respectful, and I wasn't overheated. I do the same for my daughter now, though I often put her in knee-length shorts or a pair of capri pants before adding the at-the-chapel-door cardigan.

Any suggestions for guys? We will be there in July and I can't recall any shorts for guys that cover the knees.

A lot of people have recommended the lightweight camping-type pants that zip off to become shorts. My son wore those in Japan last summer where the heat and humidity were stifling, yet shorts are frowned upon in the city.

Actually many of my son's cargo-type shorts are at the knee. Not that I would recommend wearing those to St Peters as I think the guards are programmed to reject men wearing shorts.

You people are confusing her. The OP complained about "conflicting informatoin." Now, I certainly have not visited a lot of cathedrals in my life, but in the U.S. capital, you can visit the National Cathedral in casual attire. I cannot imagine why people must dress up to visit St, Peter's if they are just tourists. /FONT]

Ummm.. because of the Swiss Guard zealously enforcing the dress code. I never argue with a man carrying a halberd.

You don't have to "dress up", but they just won't let you in if your shoulders and knees aren't covered. I saw many people turned away.

Any suggestions for guys? We will be there in July and I can't recall any shorts for guys that cover the knees.

Yep, my suggestion is to wear long pants, or don't try to get in to St. Peter's.

Now, we did see a young man turned away for wearing knee-length shorts, and he reappeared in a few minutes with a big sheet of paper wrapped around his lower torso. I don't know where he got it, but it was fine with the guards. If that's the kind of fashion statement you want to make, OK. A sarong would probably be fine, too. I understand they have something in Europe called "man-pris" (men's capris), if that would work for you.

"Zip Off Pants" may be useful. Just Google it to see a picture.

There are several brand names to choose from. Columbia and Under Armour have some that look good.

They are long pants that convert to shorts. Pretty clever!

So I am guessing you no longer have to cover your head?

Last time we were in Rome, my grandma and mother, got tissues out of their purses,and used bobby pins to keep the tissue on the top of our heads!:)

Archived