Help - wheelchair cabin as a guarantee?

We have reserved a guarantee cabin on Rhapsody for Nov by email with cruise sale finder with a note that we require an accessible cabin. The return reservation email says that an oceanview cabin is reserved & they've advised RCL we need an accessible one. Will an accessible one be retained for that price or are we dreaming? Anyone with any experience? Allan's in a wheelchair so we can't sail in a standard cabin.

I just thought they'd come back to me saying it can't be done

We have reserved a guarantee cabin on Rhapsody for Nov by email with cruise sale finder with a note that we require an accessible cabin. The return reservation email says that an oceanview cabin is reserved & they've advised RCL we need an accessible one. Will an accessible one be retained for that price or are we dreaming? Anyone with any experience? Allan's in a wheelchair so we can't sail in a standard cabin.

I just thought they'd come back to me saying it can't be done

My observations on various cruises indicate there are far more wheelchair pax than accessible cabins, which is unfortunate. Have a look at the cabin/deck plans of the ship, it tells all. Good luck with your quest anyway.

I would be a bit nervous booking a guarantee when you specifically require a certain type of cabin.

My understanding of the guarantee system is that you leave it to the discretion of the shipping company to allocate you any cabin anywhere of the same catergory or better than you paid for. The cabin can be allocated anytime up until even including on boarding.

My conern is that others who require wheelchair suitable cabins will book them outright, leaving you without that option.

Jillybean:)

Thanks guys. I decided it all sounded too risky & rang Royal Caribbean who said that despite what the TAs email said, an accessible cabin can't be guarranteed on a guarantee booking so it's all good.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys. I decided it all sounded too risky & rang Royal Caribbean who said that despite what the TAs email said, an accessible cabin can't be guarranteed on a guarantee booking so it's all good.:)

Aldo some people just like those cabins as they are very spacious and have a much larger bathroom and are very well priced for the room size. The amount of space you get is what you are paying for on a ship.

I would be a bit nervous booking a guarantee when you specifically require a certain type of cabin.

My understanding of the guarantee system is that you leave it to the discretion of the shipping company to allocate you any cabin anywhere of the same catergory or better than you paid for. The cabin can be allocated anytime up until even including on boarding.

My conern is that others who require wheelchair suitable cabins will book them outright, leaving you without that option.

Jillybean:)

I think that's quite true Jillybean based on my observations on another line recently. There were at least two passengers who needed the disabled facilities but one ended up getting an upgrade which he didn't want and the person in the wheelchair was in an ordinary cabin and couldn't use the bathroom facilities at all.

Better to book the cabin you require to be on the safe side IMO.

As I count it, the Rhapsody only has 12 accessibility cabins in total (though I do think I read somewhere it was 14) either way, if you need one, I would do as the others have suggested, and book it now.

Archived