Venice : Hidden Gem Suggestion for Hotel?

shipcafe

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a unique bed and breakfast hotel that balances good location with economic cost. Would prefer it to be near somewhat near St. Mark's Square or Rialto Bridge but not necessarily required.

Thanks!

What's your idea of "economic cost"??

There are tons of small family owned hotels and B&Bs in the city.

You can see them on maps on both Trip Advisor in their Venice hotel page or

on Venere.com

I have stayed at both Ca Angeli, on the Grand Canal just past the Rialto Bridge(going towards San Marco) and at Al Ponte Mocenigo which is a few vaporetto stops from Piazzale Roma. Ca Angeli is listed as a B&b and Al Ponte M is listed as a hotel. Both are charming in different ways with helpful staff etc.

I too am looking ! We are staying pre cruise 2 nights. Would like something by the Rialto Bridge area. Small, boutique type, quaint, excellent service with some garden or courtyard. We are willing to pay up to $250 a night. But would rather $150-$200. Any ideas?

I too am looking ! We are staying pre cruise 2 nights. Would like something by the Rialto Bridge area. Small, boutique type, quaint, excellent service with some garden or courtyard. We are willing to pay up to $250 a night. But would rather $150-$200. Any ideas?

With the euro plummeting, I would go to Ca' Angeli.. See it on trip advisor under B&Bs. Also treat yourself to arrive at the front door by water taxi.

In Venice there are great hotels and B&Bs located throughout the city. The only really importance to location would be that the hotel should be near a vaporetto (water bus) stop OR have its own dock for a private water taxi. Ca Angeli has both.

It does not have a garden or courtyard but the living room overlooks the Grand Canal and some rooms have balconies.

Al Ponte Mocenigo is not in the area you seem to want but it has a courtyard for breakfast and is much less expensive than Ca Angeli. The area is very Venetian with a lovely square nearby where you'll find a local grocery store, trees, and children playing. There are great restaurants nearby too.

Like many hotels in Venice, it does not have an elevator. Your bags will be carried to your room but if walking a flight or 2 or stairs is a bother to you then consider another hotel.

Recommend Hotel Locanda Salieri short walking distance from Piazale de Roma. So close to cruise terminal (by taxi or on foot from P d Roma), water taxi access from P de Roma to St Lucia Station. Good quiet location excellent breakfast, good operation . Like Venice is compact so just walk and discover the fun of getting lost ! temporarily . No accommodation in Venice is really cheap, and remember you get what you pay for .

One thing you should keep in mind is that everybody whats to be either A) on the Grand Canal, B) near Rialto or St. Marks Square, or C) somewhere near P. Roma. Venice is rather small and you will do most of your sightseeing on foot or on the vaporetto anyway. If you are willing to stay somewhere a little bit further away from these main tourist areas, you will get a much better deal. Simple supply and demand.

We stayed at the Hotel Vecellio which is on the laguna on the side of Murano, directly at the waterbus stop Fondamente Nove, which is a major point for a lot of waterbusses including the direct line from the airport. And at night it was superquiet. It only has 6 rooms and the owner is superwonderful. So yes, it is a hidden gem (like most no elevator, but they have a downstairs room but that does not have the view). We found it very convenient to get on the waterbus at the airport and land straight in front of the hotel (one bridge to cross) and on the way to the ship we just got on the waterbus in front of the door and got off at the P. Roma. Handling luggage on all the bridges in Venice can be a struggle.

If you have no issues with climbing stairs (the hotel starts on the third floor), I highly recommend Hotel Sturion (or it might be Locanda Sturion) right at the Rialto Bridge. I have been to Venice several times and our room on the Grand Canal kept me enchanted for hours! There is no elevator, so don't consider it if you can't climb lots of steps, but my teenage daughter and I managed just fine with carry-on luggage.

Take a look at Hotel Mercurio - they have a website. We were there about a month ago, and it was great. Standard rooms 100E, superior 110E, breakfast included. Close to St. Marks, and we had a superior with canal view, it was great! You'll love Venice.

Take a look at Hotel Mercurio - they have a website. We were there about a month ago, and it was great. Standard rooms 100E, superior 110E, breakfast included. Close to St. Marks, and we had a superior with canal view, it was great! You'll love Venice.

These are off-season prices. In the high season, as a rule of thumb, you can bet on it the same rooms cost probably 3x as much. We paid even a lot less for our hotel, that was in November.

These are off-season prices. In the high season, as a rule of thumb, you can bet on it the same rooms cost probably 3x as much. We paid even a lot less for our hotel, that was in November.

I assume that readers know as that, that's why I mentioned when we stayed. Actually in mid-June, a canal view room at this hotel is listed at 140E, so more like 30% higher - not 3X as much.

Do they have a website? How far in advance did you book, I am looking at next October but with air not available yet don't want to book and pay for hotel yet.

Do they have a website? How far in advance did you book, I am looking at next October but with air not available yet don't want to book and pay for hotel yet.

website - just Google Hotel Mercurio

air - air for October is available now. Maybe you mean cruise air arrangements.

You don't have to pay for your hotel now! Just book on the hotel web site and then pay when you use the hotel just like here in the USA.

Airfare may be shown on airline web sites for October but I wouldn't buy yet as they are only showing sale fares through summer. I'd wait to see if there will be fall sales.

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a unique bed and breakfast hotel that balances good location with economic cost. Would prefer it to be near somewhat near St. Mark's Square or Rialto Bridge but not necessarily required.

Thanks!

We stayed at the La Locandiera http://www.lalocandiera-ve.com/index.htm this past September. It's on a little square about mid-way between San Marco and the Rialto. Everything about this little gem was just fabulous. Looking forward to returning there sometime soon.

We stayed at the La Locandiera http://www.lalocandiera-ve.com/index.htm this past September. It's on a little square about mid-way between San Marco and the Rialto. Everything about this little gem was just fabulous. Looking forward to returning there sometime soon.

This hotel is also showing no availibility for Oct 2011, how many months prior did you book this hotel?

This hotel is also showing no availibility for Oct 2011, how many months prior did you book this hotel?

We booked about 6 months prior using www.venere.com . Venere is currently showing availability for La Locandiera in October. Go to venere.com, put in your dates and search La Locandiera. We have found venere to be very reliable. Good luck.

Thank you all so much for all the nice comments about places that you have enjoyed and recommended! I want so much for our trip to be memorable. It helps to have others, (cruisers, not just trip advisor peeps) viewpoints!

Nancy

Hi everybody, we are sailing in may too. realant sailing with you. i looked a little bit yesterday .hotel piave looked charming although it was 229. also i put a star by hotel locanda silieri and it was 0nly 126,but i can't remember what it looked like. ithink i'll write down the ones that look nice and still keep looking. i can't wait till my pocket translator and money conversion calculator comes.

Hi everybody, we are sailing in may too. realant sailing with you. i looked a little bit yesterday .hotel piave looked charming although it was 229. also i put a star by hotel locanda silieri and it was 0nly 126,but i can't remember what it looked like. ithink i'll write down the ones that look nice and still keep looking. i can't wait till my pocket translator and money conversion calculator comes.

I like to book through venere.com because they do not charge your credit card and you pay the hotel directly when you check out. You can also sort by client review ratings or price. I found the hotel descriptions to be very accurate. Never had a bad stay.

Archived