Scattering Ashes at Sea

Hello fellow cc'ers:

Just an informational post here to share yet another, wonderfully positive service experience I had with HAL this week.

I have a small portion of ashes from my beloved grandfather and uncle. (Their official places of scattering/iterment are on record in other states.) I have been thinking about scattering their ashes at sea for some time. We just booked a 10-day Noordam southern caribbean sailing for next March and I thought this would be a good time to place the ashes into the sea.

I wrote to HAL this week and they were so helpful in letting me know what I need to do. I want to share this information with you in the event it might be helpful for others.

Once you've booked your cruise and have a HAL booking number, contact ship services and let them know you have ashes you would like to scatter at sea during the cruise. Ship services will put a note in your record (there are no forms to fill out) and contact the ship to let them know. I had an email response for the ship's Chief Officer in minutes. How nice!

He said scattering at sea is not a problem. Once on board, simply notify the Hotel Manager through the front desk or Neptune Lounge that you need to arrange for the scattering. An officer of the ship must be present at the time of scattering so they will arrange a time during the cruise that is convenient for you and the officer. The officer will not perform any service at the scattering other than to observe that only ashes are being put into the sea and nothing else (this is a requirement of Federal law).

Also, I was thinking about this while flying several months back and asked the TSA agent at the security checkpoint if I need to do anything special when transporting ashes by plane. She was very helpful and said it isn't a problem at all. Just take the ashes out of your carry on and let the TSA agents know you have ashes before you send them through the scanner.

I am now looking forward to honoring the life of my grandpa and uncle with a sunset scattering at sea off the aft of the beautiful Noordam.

Thank you HAL for going above and beyond once again!

(PS - we recently found an older photo of grandma and grandpa walking up the gangway to board the Maasdam! We had no idea that HAL "ran in the family". What a nice surprise. I'm looking forward to having the photo with us at sea.)

Does HAL charge for this? I was planning on doing the same thing, just privately.

No. There is no charge as they really don't do anything for you. They do not/will not perform a "service" for you.

They require that an officer is present to meet the requirements of environmental law (observing that only ashes are going into the sea and nothing else) and that's it.

I'll post an update after our cruise - but I'm sure others must have done this before and can post a response sooner.

Thanks for the info, while a frequent HAL cruiser may not need the information right now it is good to know and I can advise others if asked.

Hi Lisa:

Been a while since the Oosterdam. Had any good sushi lately? Hope all is well in Las Vegas for you.

I realize this is pretty rare for people to need to do this, but I thought it might be helpful for future reference.

Best,

Pete

Pete, sadly no have not any really good sushi although I had some in a Japanese restaurant (not fast food) in the Vancouver airport on May 1st it was just OK but this week is our son's birthday and that is what he wants to do for his B Day. We just talked about that this morning :)

You should think of joining us for the next Yum Yum Man 3 cruise, this time it will be on the East Coast doing the Eastern Caribbean on the new HAL ship the Nieuw Amsterdam next March.

Hi Lisa:

Our next cruise will be March 2011 on the Noordam. We're bringing some close friends along and that is the week their kids are on spring break so no yum yum cruise for us this time. Happy birthday to your son. I remember when the hotel he works in was on fire. Seems like yesterday.

Pete

Hello fellow cc'ers:

Just an informational post here to share yet another, wonderfully positive service experience I had with HAL this week.

I have a small portion of ashes from my beloved grandfather and uncle. (Their official places of scattering/iterment are on record in other states.) I have been thinking about scattering their ashes at sea for some time. We just booked a 10-day Noordam southern caribbean sailing for next March and I thought this would be a good time to place the ashes into the sea.

I wrote to HAL this week and they were so helpful in letting me know what I need to do. I want to share this information with you in the event it might be helpful for others.

Once you've booked your cruise and have a HAL booking number, contact ship services and let them know you have ashes you would like to scatter at sea during the cruise. Ship services will put a note in your record (there are no forms to fill out) and contact the ship to let them know. I had an email response for the ship's Chief Officer in minutes. How nice!

He said scattering at sea is not a problem. Once on board, simply notify the Hotel Manager through the front desk or Neptune Lounge that you need to arrange for the scattering. An officer of the ship must be present at the time of scattering so they will arrange a time during the cruise that is convenient for you and the officer. The officer will not perform any service at the scattering other than to observe that only ashes are being put into the sea and nothing else (this is a requirement of Federal law).

Also, I was thinking about this while flying several months back and asked the TSA agent at the security checkpoint if I need to do anything special when transporting ashes by plane. She was very helpful and said it isn't a problem at all. Just take the ashes out of your carry on and let the TSA agents know you have ashes before you send them through the scanner.

I am now looking forward to honoring the life of my grandpa and uncle with a sunset scattering at sea off the aft of the beautiful Noordam.

Thank you HAL for going above and beyond once again!

(PS - we recently found an older photo of grandma and grandpa walking up the gangway to board the Maasdam! We had no idea that HAL "ran in the family". What a nice surprise. I'm looking forward to having the photo with us at sea.)

Very nice. I had a friend who did the same thing with CCL last March. CCL also let the him know that there were 3 Protestant ministers on the same cruise who volunteered to offer prayers at the time of the scattering if he so wished. He was very moved by the whole experience. Blessings upon you also!

I'm absolutely amazed..Less than an hour ago DH & I were discussing this...Asked him if he had any place specific he wanted his ashes placed..He said he wanted them next to me, but he forgot that I want to be buried at sea..DH claims it's not practical as he wouldn't want to go on a cruise alone... I suggested he take a Friend or our Son with him...

Last Year "We Love Cruising", posted on Burying her Aunt's ashes at sea from the the Maasdam..You might want to read her post..She had a lovely ceremony..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=996884

You can order special Biodegradable Scattering Urns or burial urns for burial at sea on-line..they are not overly priced & some are plain & others are fancy..The shell is quite pretty as is the white urn with just a rose on it....

http://www.funeral-urn.com/biodegradable-urns.aspx

I have all this info including these sites printed out & signed by me with my living will as well as my last will & testament..

That is a lovely thing for you to do with your Grandfather's & Uncle's ashes...

Cheers...:)Betty

My husband is a pastor and we recently had the funeral of a dear man who we knew through sailing. His wishes were for his ashes to be scattered at our village dock where he was the Dockmaster and so we did. Interesting thing is that it's actually illegal around here to do so and I was a little worried about my hubby doing something illegal but it worked out beautifully. We never saw the ashes - his family gave them to the harbor police and we stood on the dock and said a prayer and stood and watched as the officer took the boat out to the bay and did the scattering himself. :) So we were good to go. ;) It really was a beautiful thing.

I wish you well with your scattering your loved one's ashes. I think it will be very nice.

I'm absolutely amazed..Less than an hour ago DH & I were discussing this...Last Year "We Love Cruising", posted on Burying her Aunt's ashes at sea from the the Maasdam..You might want to read her post..She had a lovely ceremony..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=996884

Cheers...:)Betty

This is such a touching story - thank you for sharing it.

Pete

I was planning on doing the same thing, just privately.

Me too, just a token spoonful when the wind is right, no wish to involve anyone else.

That's what are plan is. Just a small amount of my dad's ashes (less than 4 oz), my mom and me.

As I read this thread I thought of the "6 Feet Under" show where they dump the father's ashes off a building and the wind blows it back in their face. Now I hope you don't have a problem with the anti smokers who complain about ashes falling on their balcony.

... Biodegradable Scattering Urns or burial urns for burial at sea ...

Okay, I may look naive, but here goes - does this mean you drop the entire urn with ashes into the ocean? Or open it and empty the ashes - save the urn?

P.S. I, too am amazed at the timing of this post - I am writing a story in which a woman wants her ashes scattered at sea and this thread has saved me a lot of time on research - who knew there were biodgradable urns? But then, why not?

I just found the answer on the website serendipity referenced - the urns float for a minute (or a few) then start to sink and break apart, scattering the ashes. This sounds so graceful and allows for a few minutes of reflection.

I love this idea;but I have a true story and I really mean NO disrespect.

A Vicar friend of mine in the UK was doing a scattering of ashes ceremony from a helicopter over the Irish sea.The wind suddenly changed and blew back the ashes.They had to land and use a Dirt Devil(Or the Hoover equivalent) and go back up to empty the ashes from the Hoover bag!:eek:

Luckily the family(And the deceased) Had a sense of humour!

Archived