Reflections on Voyager 2010 World Cruise

I have posted a rathey lengthy piece in my 2010 World Cruise journal with my personal reflections about the WC cruise experience, the Voyager and Regent. Those who are contemplating a WC or a future cruise on the Voyager may find it of interest.

You can get to it by clicking on the link in my signature block below.

We had a great time...met some wonderful people...explored many new places...and built great memories.

karen & larry..bravo..what an exceptionally well written final wc blog post...thanks for taking your precious wc resouces to share with us here on cc....best, wes

Larry, We have been enjoying your blog through out the WC...and we particularly appreciate your thoughtful 'final summary' with its many praises and a few reflective negatives. We were on the HKG-CPT segment and although it was only 35 days, agree with most of your summary. We are not of the cult of the Captain, but do feel that Capt

Dag was very special and will be missed. We are concerned about Presitge/Conroy/Regent's slimming down because we have so enjoyed the product. We appreciate the 'lognitudinal view point' of the WCruiser.

Thanks again Paula

We also enjoyed your WC blog. We admire the fact that you have the endurance to be on a cruise of that length. It would be quite a challenge for us -- 2 weeks on a ship is about our maximum.

I am intrigued by your description of the artwork on the Voyager. The art previously displayed on the ships (Park West) was extremely distasteful to us. We did, however, get quite a few laughs while walking down the hallways viewing it. While I understand that art is subjective, we do look forward to viewing the hand-picked displays on the Navigator next week.

We kept up with three of the WC blogs and do appreciate the time spent creating them.

May I add my appreciation, Larry and Karen, of the time and trouble you took to write such a colourful and vivid account of your World Cruise on Voyager. Lovely photographs too, especially of the children you obviously loved meeting.

Barbara and I will remember forever your final words:

"And a day didn’t go by that we weren’t thankful, that for the luck of the draw, we were born where we were."

Karen and Larry, beautifully said and written. I totally agree with your comments. I was delighted to have met you and to have shared part of this wonderful WC with you. Hope we shall cruise together again. Think WC 2012.

Elaine

Larry and Karen....Thanks so very much for letting me live vicariously for the few months that you were on the world cruise. We were on the Voyager at the end of the WC a few years ago.....LA to Ft. Lauderdale and I have always dreamed of doing a WC....Perhaps when our "oil well" starts producing...one day!!! Ha!! Your descriptions and pictures were wonderful and your reveiws were very fair, so I do appreciate your letting us all get a great overview of a world cruise. I thoroughly enjoyed your journal, so, again, many, many thanks for sharing your experiences in such a wonderful manner. Holly (from Virginia)

I was surprised to read that senior Regent management has known about the slippery tile situation outside La Veranda for a long time yet passengers continue to slip, fall & injure themselves. They seem to have had ample notice that the current "fix" (repeated applications of a special coating) doesn't work and should have tried something more permanent, such as simple rubber matting. I doubt that other injured passengers will be as understanding about this as you and your wife were.

Larry, thanks for the blog, I have enjoyed cruising with you. I know the time and effort required and appreciated it. I am so sorry to hear about Karen's fall. That must have been very scary. Glad to hear she wasn't severely injured. I can't believe they haven't replaced that tile! You may remember Clay fell there early in our WC in 2006. He sprained his ankle. They told us then that they had that on a priority list to change the flooring the next time they did rehab work on the ship since it was always slippery and wet from the design of the deck above. Debbie http://westwardworldcircumnavigation200.blogspot.com/2006/01/day-26-sunday-jan-22-bora-bora-french.html

I'm sure most Regent regulars would be reluctant to press a claim against Regent if they fell & were injured outside La Veranda. However, a claim or even a lawsuit appears to be the only thing that will get management to fix a long-known dangerous situation.

Good grief, I hope they didn't charge you huge amounts of money for your wife's medical care! What an awful thing to happen. I remember that slippery area!

Thanks for the wonderful reports, and your reflections. Sounds like such a wonderful adventure! Our limit so far has been 14 days, but hope for longer some day.

Funny, we were on Voyager shortly before the WC began and I can't remember a single Park West picture, although I'm sure I poked fun at them at the time. but I've always liked the pictures in the deck 6 cabin corridor, in fact if they changed them I would feel quite lost! Walking by there in December I could spot our rooms from previous cruises!

I like the idea of the big map on the wall--if we ever do a long cruise I'll remember that and ask for advice about how to do it.

The "art directior" was at my table on a recent cruise and referred to the art in the hallways as " that junk". I almost choked on my wine at that comment...at least the AD agreed with us passengers.

Good grief, I hope they didn't charge you huge amounts of money for your wife's medical care! What an awful thing to happen. I remember that slippery area!

Thanks for the wonderful reports, and your reflections. Sounds like such a wonderful adventure! Our limit so far has been 14 days, but hope for longer some day.

Funny, we were on Voyager shortly before the WC began and I can't remember a single Park West picture, although I'm sure I poked fun at them at the time. but I've always liked the pictures in the deck 6 cabin corridor, in fact if they changed them I would feel quite lost! Walking by there in December I could spot our rooms from previous cruises!

I like the idea of the big map on the wall--if we ever do a long cruise I'll remember that and ask for advice about how to do it.

Wendy --

There were no charges for the surgery and visits associated with my wife's fall and stitches.

The Park West art director had a desk and couch seating in the space formally occupied by the photo vendor on Deck 6 forward...oposite the library. All the art surrounding that area was theirs. I believe the rest of the art throughout the ship belongs to RSSC...and we were told by Mark Conroy that much of it was picked out personally by Frank Del Rio, head of PCH...that it's a passion of his. Therefore, I think the "ugly art" outside of Compass Rose is RSSC's, not Park West's.

The wall map where we tracked our progress and surrounding it with various destination magnets and photos was great fun. There is a photo of in on my blog page.

Archived