How to convince the wife

thekings23

Yes the package with the Disney food plan doesn't include Dinner only 2 small meals during the day. Dinner is the most expensive meal.....trust me i wanted to go back to Disney this year but couldn't touch it for the price of my Carnival cruise.

no no you are wrong...the small meals you are talking about are called counter service meals...and they are very plentiful...they include drink, meal and a dessert and you get 2 snacks per person per day...and at one place in Animal Kingdom we found that a snack consisted of 2 huge egg rolls!!!!! It was a meal in itself.

Talk yourself out of it if you want...but you will not starve with the quick service plan and you will love the value resorts.....if you want table meals just stay at a moderate resort. But the price will be higher.

BTW, quick service BF includes 2 drinks....a large OJ and a Large chocolate milk would be included in each counter service BF. Or what ever you like to drink....Ice Tea...bittles water....don't waste the points on coffee...just grab a cup in your room...because the family suites have kitchens and coffee makers!!!

4477.18 Thats the price i just got from WDW site so its not cheaper and im flying to Puerto Rico for the cruise...thats 7 days versus 7 days.I will say my booze isn't included in either so cruise is still better and cheaper...they gave me the 1 sit down meal and 1 fast meal and 1 snack for the above price!

Wow, can you give us more details on how you arrived at that qoute?People ,catagory,# of rooms,ect.

So you figured in tips,shore excursions,bingo,(entertainment),ect into the pricing?

Steve

I think you should fit a Disney trip in there, either replacing the cruise that year or do Disney for a few days and then a cruise. My daughter just turned 4 last time we went and she remembers all of it. She went on a ton of rides and had a blast! For any big rides that you want to go on and the kids can't go, you can do the baby swap thing so you don't have to wait in line again. If you get the free dining, it's a great deal.

Wow, can you give us more details on how you arrived at that qoute?People ,catagory,# of rooms,ect.

So you figured in tips,shore excursions,bingo,(entertainment),ect into the pricing?

Steve

2 adults 2 children 1 room @ Sports resort / with meal plan and 2 non-stop flights out of Newark with airport transfers all done through Disney site to Orlando FL August 22 for 7 days. So now what...the cruise was cheaper for me. Go ahead add in bingo and so on.....tell me you won't buy anything at Disney? Which is high priced and Universal was slightly lower than Disney but without food. Personally also im not crazy about the crowds and heat at Disney in the summer....i have always done Disney in Novemeber during the Wine and Food Festival. This isn't about me anyway its a opinion the OP asked about convincing his wife to cruise instead. But i notice your one of the Anti-Smuggling bashers too.

The wife wants to do a Disney land vaca in 2012 rather then cruise,and I would like to stay committed to cruising, what are some selling points that I can use to pursuit the wife, we do have 2 kids who will be 5 and 3 when the disney trip goes down

Why? you have already been on one cruise (with her?) and have another scheduled by all appearances.

So at my calculations you are getting what you want (cruises) why not let her get this one?

We are DVC owners (basically we have the Disney time share). We first went to WDW when our kids were 6, 4 and 4. It was nice and the kids liked it, but it was hard with the heat and all the walking (there was a lot of crying and whining). We've been 5 more times since then (kids are now 13, 11 and 11). The best age is around 6-8 (they still believe in the magic and think the characters are real and closer to 8 they have the height to go on more rides). Disney IS, however (no matter what some people say) more expensive. The 'free' dining plan 'deals' are bogus. They keep room rates up to make up for the cost of the free dining. The outrageous costs of WDW is why we've stopped going (and started cruising). My DH was completely PO'd that Disney didn't lower prices or offer great deals when they were supposidly having trouble filling up the parks due to the economic climate in the US. I love WDW and want to go back soon (we did our last big trip in 2008 and did their Hilton Head resort in 2009- did not like it!). I may be able to convince him to go in 2012. And a Disney cruise is absolutely FANTASTIC, but very very expensive. I think your plan of spending a few days at WDW and then doing a 3 or 4 day cruise out of port canaveral is perfect. We're going to cruise this year and next (and if were up to DH every year), it is a more relaxing and cheaper vacation. And you can go to many different places.

Oh and my girls don't remember anything about the Disney trip when they were 4, but my son does from when he was 6.

You're probably right, I am kind of being selfish. I have two boys, but one of them really likes princesses, maybe we ca do a 3-4 day cruise out of canaveral and 2-3 days at WDW.

Now your cooking with gas;)

Do 3 nights in Disney....really not enough....then take a cruise. More relaxing that way.

You will never see everything.....don't even try. Just go at your own pace and it will be magical.

BTW...disney needs more planning than a cruise. If you want to do character meals....book them as SOON as you know you are going.

For Princesses....I love Akershus in Epcot. The castle is an experience but overrated...IMO.

You have to go to Chef Mickey's....if anyone likes Pooh and tiger The Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom is great. I am a Disney "expert" so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Happy planning

K

I am one of those who feel that children should be older before doing Disney. We did not do Disney until our children could do everything and go on every ride if they so chose to. Our airfare is a killer so we have to be consious of what we pick to do. We found many other things to do with our kids that they thoroughly enjoyed and remember (camping, boating, fishing, picnics, Sunday afternoon car rides,etc). I personally cannot see taking a 2 and 5 year old to Disney and not being able to do even half of what is available - the expense is not worth it to me but others obviously feel it is worth it which is their choice. But then I am one of those terrible mothers who bought almost brand new Fisher Price toys at yard sales and gave them to the kids at Xmas and they never knew the difference.

I am one of those who feel that children should be older before doing Disney. We did not do Disney until our children could do everything and go on every ride if they so chose to. Our airfare is a killer so we have to be consious of what we pick to do. We found many other things to do with our kids that they thoroughly enjoyed and remember (camping, boating, fishing, picnics, Sunday afternoon car rides,etc). I personally cannot see taking a 2 and 5 year old to Disney and not being able to do even half of what is available - the expense is not worth it to me but others obviously feel it is worth it which is their choice. But then I am one of those terrible mothers who bought almost brand new Fisher Price toys at yard sales and gave them to the kids at Xmas and they never knew the difference.

I think a lot of "Disney People" would disagree with you. Disney unlike many other "theme parks" are not based around thrill rides. There are maybe 3-5 rides per park that my kids can't not do and I am including my 6 month old when he went.

Disney is based on the experience and considering that on an 8 day trip there is no way to do it all there is more than enough that my kids can do to make the 4 WDW trips my daughter has taken before her 5th birtday to be well well worth it.

I often worry about families who wait until kids are "old enough" may find that their kids are looking for the thrill rides of Universal or 6 Flags are are disappointed by the tame attractions at Disney.

Not to mention that the look on my daughter's face when her favorite princess hugged her and my 18 month old son yelling for Minnie whenever she got withen 20 feet of him (He was in love.)

When i posted i should have stated i have been to Disney World 4 times...while no expert i just stated my own feelings and my kids feelings about it...i have 3 boys who have been to Disney and chose cruising by choice to cruise instead of Disney. But 2 and 5 year olds just can't have the same fun as say a 8 year old.....besides if you can afford it by all means go to Disney 2 times a year...it is fun but very expensive and too hot and too many showers in the summer.

I agree with several of the posts..We waited until our boys were a bit older to do Disney..It was too hard to work around their naps and schedule when they were little..We live fairly close to Disneyland and have done it several times the boys are now 6 however it is much smaller than Disneyworld..unlike alot of people here I do not find disney "The Happiest Place on Earth"...too busy! so many people it makes me a bit crazy! Good luck ..Lis

I guess my 2 main points here are: number one the cost of airfare but more importantly number two - I got the same smiles and same excitement when they caught a fish, saw wildlife up close and personal in their natural habitat, picked wild blueberries and strawberries, ate hotdogs and marshmellows over an open fire, saw rock paintings while boating, catching tadpoles in ponds, hand feeding wild ducks, tubing down a creek, setting off fireworks at the beach, etc. We are fortunate to have a wealth of awesome things to do and Disney was a dream but affordable only once and wanted it to be a life long memory. They certainly enjoyed it but they would trade the one week for camping etc done over and over again during the summers year after year. I certainly am not saying that kids will not be thrilled and excited and remember things for years to come I was only stating MY reasons for not doing it until they were older. My son is 22 and right now is at camp with 3 buddies portaging into a lake to fish for walleye and later have a shore lunch then back to camp for a bonfire. He is in heaven.

Look at my boys faces....sure they had fun but perfer a cruise is all im saying and at 2 and 5 its too young unless you can afford to go every year or so.My youngest was 5 in this picture.

beautiful family!

I guess my 2 main points here are: number one the cost of airfare but more importantly number two - I got the same smiles and same excitement when they caught a fish, saw wildlife up close and personal in their natural habitat, picked wild blueberries and strawberries, ate hotdogs and marshmellows over an open fire, saw rock paintings while boating, catching tadpoles in ponds, hand feeding wild ducks, tubing down a creek, setting off fireworks at the beach, etc. We are fortunate to have a wealth of awesome things to do and Disney was a dream but affordable only once and wanted it to be a life long memory. They certainly enjoyed it but they would trade the one week for camping etc done over and over again during the summers year after year. I certainly am not saying that kids will not be thrilled and excited and remember things for years to come I was only stating MY reasons for not doing it until they were older. My son is 22 and right now is at camp with 3 buddies portaging into a lake to fish for walleye and later have a shore lunch then back to camp for a bonfire. He is in heaven.

Well said as i agree 100% with you!

The wife wants to do a Disney land vaca in 2012 rather then cruise,and I would like to stay committed to cruising, what are some selling points that I can use to pursuit the wife, we do have 2 kids who will be 5 and 3 when the disney trip goes down

Does your wife really want to pay $10.00+ for a hot dog,chips and a small drink every time your 3 and 5 year old get hungry at Disney, and then watch them take and bite or two and be finished? At this age they'll have more fun at Camp Carnival and you'll SAVE money too!

Archived