Ephesus Evening Reception

washdcguy

We're debating whether the evening at Ephesus means we should not get a private tour that day, at least to take us to Ephesus. Any thoughts from folks that have enjoyed the evening?

thanks

We once took a tour to Ephesus and walked around the whole area a long time ago, while not on a Seabourn ship. It was really interesting and there are a lot of things to see and learn about, that you will miss during the evening concert. It all depends how much energy you have, because in the evening there is quite some walking involved as well. However, having seen quite a lot of the Roman and Greek not to be missed places, I found this one of the better ones! I will stick to the evening concert this time!

Have a nice day - 2nd "Pinksterdag" here, which is like a Sunday!

Marja

We're debating whether the evening at Ephesus means we should not get a private tour that day, at least to take us to Ephesus. Any thoughts from folks that have enjoyed the evening?

thanks

We have gone to the evening concert at Ephesus. We did this on one of our Crystal saiings and the concern is the same on that Seabourn will offer. It was wonderful and I recommend it.

With that said, Ephesus is not to be missed and you will not see much of it in the evening other than walking from the main entrance to where the concert is. So, I highly recommend taking a tour of it that morning. Ephesus is wonderful so I highly recommend both a morning tour and the evening concert.

Keith

I would definetly take a private tour during the day before going to the evening reception. if you are on one of the "little girls" the concert will be in front of the library but if you are on the new ships it will near the ampitheatre.

jean

We were just on the Seabourn Odyssey and did a private tour of Epheseus in the morning and went back again for the concert. Having been there first gave us a much greater appreciation for what we saw when we went back in the evening. We were situated in front of the amphitheater at small tables and as the evening darkened and the uplighting came on, it was enchanting. The evening concert does not give you any insights into what the site was about and it's not something you would want to miss. Do eat something first as the fruit, olives, and crackers do not replace a meal and we didn't return until after 10 PM. They served dinner earlier (6 PM ) in order to accommodate everyone who was going - there were 10 buses. Also, it got quite chilly after dark even though it was really warm during the day - we were there May 13.

I highly recommend doing both. The daytime tour is a wonderful opportunity to explore the ruins and excavations. The evening concert is a magical event. I wouldn't miss either and would still repeat both on a future trip.

We are perhaps the only people who have ever gone to Ephesus twice and never really seen it all. In 2001 the evening concert was an optional fee excursion -- we went wil about 12 fellow passengers and had a terrific time. The second time we went to Turkey on Seabourn we also went to the evening concert -- this time with about 200 of our "closest friends".We again enjoyed itthe second time -- though it was not as intimate and many of our fellow passengers were clearly had not attended a classical concert before and clapped after every movement. We have promised ourselves that NEXT time we are there on Seabourn we will hire a private guide to tour the site during the day and go to the concert as well. I agree with the others -- do both!!!

I highly recommend doing both. The daytime tour is a wonderful opportunity to explore the ruins and excavations. The evening concert is a magical event. I wouldn't miss either and would still repeat both on a future trip.

Can only endorse this. You need to do both, as the ruins are fascinating and the walk round (normally slightly downhill all the way) is unmissable. The concert does not take you round the site, but the effect of being outside the Library at the bottom of the site in the dark is stunning, and the music, though fairly ordinary classical stuff, makes it special, along with the staff there, and the drinks and nibbles.

What I especially liked about this thread is that there was pretty much consensus to do both a daytime tour and then the concert at night. It is not too often that there is so much consensus on an item.

Have a wonderful time not only on your first Seabourn cruise but also at Ephesus. We have been there several times and look forward to another visit as they continue to uncover new areas. It's very historic and I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Keith

Thanks everyone for your feedback...

Looks like we'll definitely do both - and eat early!

We're very excited about our first SB cruise after trying out SS and Regent.

Watch out for the cats that like to come to the evening concert and wait for food to be dropped on the ground,they are sometimes quite vocal.

I always pass on eating the food at Ephesus and wait until I am back on the ship, as they normally lay something on for returning guests.

Oh what a wonderful memory you brought back -- I had almost forgotten about all of the cats that gathered around our table on our first visit to Ephesus!

We ate dinner before our first visit -- on our second we did not because they had planned for the deck bar-b-que when we returned to the ship that evening( not something I was too thrilled about since I figured it would be late and we would be tired). As it turned out the weather turned a bit windy so at the last minute they canceled the deck bbque( and many of you know how much work goes into setting that up) and instead had to prepare for 200 very hungry people to ALL troop into the dining room at the same time. Naturally Seabourn pulled it off like a beautiful ballet with servers dancing all over the dining room with platters of food and no one had to wait long for dinner.

Agree strongly with Keith and the others that you need to do . . . BOTH!!! This is such a spectacular, historic site and each of the visits serves a different purpose. Yes, Lord, the cats can be aggressive, especially when you try to be a nice guy and feed them. You need the day visit to understand more details on what "ALL" is there, its history, etc. Below are some visual samples from our 2006 Seabourn Spirit visit there to help preview it for you and bring back nice memories for the rest of us. At night as the sun sets, it is very, very "special". Look at the pictures and tell us if you agree.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We enjoyed a night concert in front of the historic library at Ephesus:

NightLibrary.jpg

Starting the tour at Ephesus:

EphTourStart.jpg

Looking downhill towards the library and other ruins from when Ephesus was Rome's capital of Asia Minor:

EphRuinsLongShot.jpg

The outdoor theater is fully lighted for events in the evening:

EphNightOutTheat.jpg

At night for a concert, the Ephesus library is dramatically done in its lighting and visual impact:

EphNightLibr.jpg

Sounds wonderful! How long does the concert usually last? We'll be on the Odyssey, if that makes a difference.

I have just realised that on the Odyssey you may be in the amphitheatre rather than the library for your concert (more space for more people).

We have done both, and the lovely pics above are of the library. I found this more atmospheric, but both are great. The concert will not last more than an hour, probably a bit less. It is a four or five group of string players essentially, and as I said before, easy and pleasant listening stuff.

Sounds wonderful! How long does the concert usually last? We'll be on the Odyssey, if that makes a difference.

The concert should be about 90 minutes. The drive is about 30 minutes each way. The last time we did the concert wine was served along with canapes. It is very special as we mentioned earlier. I do not remember any cats but we were there in the spring.

We have also been to Ephesus several times for the daytime tours. What is amazing about Ephesus is that there is so much more for them to discover so that over the years we continue to see more ruins on each and every visit. Do some reading ahead of time, even doing some research on the Internet.

Enjoy!

Keith

Thanks Terry... this looks amazing! It's going to make waiting 60 days for the cruise all the more difficult.

THANKS for the comments on the pictures! YES, it looks "amazing" because it is, especially in the evening as the sun sets. With the larger Seabourn ship, they should be able to set up added tables and make it work in front of this library setting. The large amphitheatre would not work that well for this type of chamber music group. That place could seat 25,000 during its peak use. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the comments on the pictures! YES, it looks "amazing" because it is, especially in the evening as the sun sets. With the larger Seabourn ship, they should be able to set up added tables and make it work in front of this library setting. The large amphitheatre would not work that well for this type of chamber music group. That place could seat 25,000 during its peak use. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

But I've heard (and seen the photo) that Odyssey guests have the concert at the amphitheatre Terry (I believe in front of it where we once had it too.... a long time ago).

Marja

The Odyssey definitely does the concert in the amphitheater. Though lovely, it is not quite as picturesque as the library. I agree with those who pass on the snacks served there. it doesn't compare to what you can get on the ship.

The Odyssey definitely does the concert in the amphitheater. Though lovely, it is not quite as picturesque as the library. I agree with those who pass on the snacks served there. it doesn't compare to what you can get on the ship.

THANKS for the update! Too bad they don't get to experience that super wonderful library setting. But, it's a great place just to be in the evening when the crowds and heat are gone. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I've done both Henry and my first time was the theatre.... that's the time I remember most and best, because I was so touched by the music and the athmosphere.... I still get goose pimples when I listen to Pachelbel.... I fully agree on the snacks!

Marja

Archived