Pompeii Tour

ronnie64

Friday, 25, June, Rome, 24 hour strike trains and buses.

Same day, CGIL labour confederation will have a nationwide strike. Strike will be four hours in the private sector and 24 hours in the public sector. Two other main Italian unions are not joining in. In Turin this has been cancelled to 2, July, 2010.

where do you find the info about upcoming strikes?

There is an official web site, all in Italian: http://www.commissionegaranziasciopero.it/

Also, the Summer in Italy site lists some of the transportation strikes, but they may not cover all of them. However, it is in English: http://www.summerinitaly.com/planning/strike.asp

You can take a bus or tram to the station, but it's not the main train station (Napoli Centrale, in Piazza Garibaldi), it's the Circumvesuviana station (on Corso Guiseppe Garibaldi).

The bus directly to Pompei leaves from Porto Immacolotella, which is less than a half mile from the cruise port, an easy walk.

I suppose the reason people lean toward the train is that it doesn't risk getting stuck in traffic on the highway, which the bus does.

Last question on this bus thing... I looked at the SITA schedule and it looks like it's nonstop to pompeii, is that true? There are two sites pompei scavi and pompei. Which do I get off on? Then on my return trip do you pick up the bus in the same place it drops you off? You buy the roundtrip ticket before you get on the bus, correct?

Last question on this bus thing... I looked at the SITA schedule and it looks like it's nonstop to pompeii, is that true? There are two sites pompei scavi and pompei. Which do I get off on? Then on my return trip do you pick up the bus in the same place it drops you off? You buy the roundtrip ticket before you get on the bus, correct?

Last question on this bus thing... I looked at the SITA schedule and it looks like it's nonstop to pompeii, is that true? Yes...but, I think I remember that it made 1 or 2 quick stops in Naples before going directly to Pompeii.

There are two sites pompei scavi and pompei. Which do I get off on?

Not sure the difference, it just lets off right in front of Pompeii, in front of the parking lot.

Then on my return trip do you pick up the bus in the same place it drops you off? Yes. Stand at the Bus Stop going back to Napoli....going the opposite direction. It's right in front of a building, across the street from the parking lot. (the SITA BUS Stop sign is hidden by a tree)

You buy the roundtrip ticket before you get on the bus, correct? Yes.:)

Last question on this bus thing... I looked at the SITA schedule and it looks like it's nonstop to pompeii, is that true? Yes...but, I think I remember that it made 1 or 2 quick stops in Naples before going directly to Pompeii.

There are two sites pompei scavi and pompei. Which do I get off on?

Not sure the difference, it just lets off right in front of Pompeii, in front of the parking lot.

Then on my return trip do you pick up the bus in the same place it drops you off? Yes. Stand at the Bus Stop going back to Napoli....going the opposite direction. It's right in front of a building, across the street from the parking lot. (the SITA BUS Stop sign is hidden by a tree)

You buy the roundtrip ticket before you get on the bus, correct? Yes.:)

Thanks! I am nervous about buying tickets, getting stranded, etc. In america you just put your money in, you know? haha, so we have to go to the bus ticket place near the stop, buy the tickets, get on the bus, validate the ticket, and then use that same ticket for our return.

Thanks! I am nervous about buying tickets, getting stranded, etc. In america you just put your money in, you know? haha, so we have to go to the bus ticket place near the stop, buy the tickets, get on the bus, validate the ticket, and then use that same ticket for our return.

Two tickets are purchased. One there and one to return.

The place to catch the SITA bus from the port is actually the SITA bus parking lot (it's not very big).

Unless you are going on June 25th (during the strike), then no worries about being stranded. I tend to worry about everything, but didn't have any worries about taking the SITA bus to and from Pompeii. It was quick, convenient, inexpensive, clean, not crowded, and didn't have to ride on the Circumvesuviana train. ;)

Two tickets are purchased. One there and one to return.

The place to catch the SITA bus from the port is actually the SITA bus parking lot (it's not very big).

so I google satelite mapped this route, the bus stop is just behind porta calata di massa?

Adsmama: Not sure when you will be visiting Pompeii but we will be going in September, so if you return before then, would you please be so kind as to write about your experience with the bus, to and from, purchasing the tickets and hiring a guide at the gate. It would be most helpful. Thanks.

Just to confirm (and get it through my thick head :rolleyes: ), I can get the U3 Unicocampania ticket and it will work for the bus or train to Pompeii as well as the metro in Naples.....correct?

Kirk

Yes Kirk, you've got it. The UnicoCampania ticket covers ANM (the company that runs Naples public transit - bus, metro, funicolare), Circumvesuviana (the regional train line that goes to Pompei Scavi and Sorrento), and SITA (the bus line that runs between Naples and Pompei Scavi), among others (full list in English here: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=consorzio&action=aziende).

So, even if you go one way by train (Circumvesuviana) and the other way by bus (SITA), the same ticket still covers you.

For example, a few months ago I went to Caserta for the day from my home base in Naples. I took the regional train (Trenitalia) to Caserta, but when I was ready to head back there wasn't a train for another two hours. Instead, I took a bus that left from the train station in Caserta which brought me to the train station in Naples. The same ticket covered either transit mode.

• 1 month later...

Euro-cruiser: Sorry to appear rather dim but may I ask another question about the Sita Bus to Pompeii? I did a satellite Google search for Porto Immacolotella Vecchia and checked to see how far the Sita bus top was at Molo Beverello. The directions said it was over 800m, so am I right in thinking it will take longer then 10 minutes to walk or maybe the 10 min walk estimate is correct if the ship is docked at another area and not Vecchia?

Also, on the return bus journey from Pompeii, we would like to visit the Archeological Museum, which stop would we use please? I have read on other messages that after visiting the Museum, we can take a leisurely stroll back to the ship (and all downhill :D)

Thanks for your help.

Archived