Pompeii Tour

ronnie64

THANKS for the nice comments! Glad you saw that visual in the brothel. BUT, if you didn't know what it was and why it was needed there, then you missed half of the point in visiting that place. The best point was how our guide told the story and explained the "Monica Lewinsky position". You remember those great stories by good guides. It makes it memorable. Just "walking around" in Pompeii does not give your the "rest of the story" that is so important for understanding that history. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

But for someone that does their research in advance, you can already be familiar with these interesting points as well as other great stories.

For example, I read books about the eruption of Vesuvius (and how the destruction of Pompeii was completely different from that of Herculaneum, for example), daily life in Pompeii (which covered the ....um....brothel activities), the rediscovery of the "forgotten" site and subsequent restoration, and even the original founding of Pompeii as a Greek colony.

;)

But for someone that does their research in advance, you can already be familiar with these interesting points as well as other great stories. For example, I read books about the eruption of Vesuvius (and how the destruction of Pompeii was completely different from that of Herculaneum, for example), daily life in Pompeii (which covered the ....um....brothel activities), the rediscovery of the "forgotten" site and subsequent restoration, and even the original founding of Pompeii as a Greek colony. ;)

I like history lots, but Cynthia is right on being able to do, potentially, it ALL on your own. Most of us normal "mortals", however, are not able or willing to attempt to absorb it as well as Cynthia. She's super good at this and really loves it. Most are not as fortunate. It's each traveler's choice on how they want to learn and understand these various details. Personally, I do best reading ahead, using visual books like Eyewitness and Insight, doing a tour with a good guide, asking questions, listening closely, taking lots of pictures, reading more after I get back, etc. People need to know their options, deciding what works for them, how much they want to know, etc. The worse thing is to not plan ahead and consider all of your options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I think this is an important alternative that doesn't get mentioned much here on CC; we more often discuss the Circumvesuviana train to Pompei (and beyond).

Did you walk to the bus stop at Porto Immacolotella? It's less than a half mile from the cruise ship port at Molo Beverello.

The bus only takes 30 minutes to make this trip, so you don't lose any time vs. the train. The cost is the same, as they both use the UnicoCampania ticket.

One more question if I may. You mean that literally, they use the same ticket, the U3 or UnicoCampania which is also good for the metro that same day?

Thanks again.

Kirk

i like history lots, but cynthia is right on being able to do, potentially, it all on your own. Most of us normal "mortals", however, are not able or willing to attempt to absorb it as well as cynthia. She's super good at this and really loves it. Most are not as fortunate. It's each traveler's choice on how they want to learn and understand these various details. Personally, i do best reading ahead, using visual books like eyewitness and insight, doing a tour with a good guide, asking questions, listening closely, taking lots of pictures, reading more after i get back, etc. People need to know their options, deciding what works for them, how much they want to know, etc. the worse thing is to not plan ahead and consider all of your options.

thanks! Enjoy! Terry in ohio

excellent excellent post terry !!!!!!

I like history lots, but Cynthia is right on being able to do, potentially, it ALL on your own. Most of us normal "mortals", however, are not able or willing to attempt to absorb it as well as Cynthia. She's super good at this and really loves it. Most are not as fortunate. It's each traveler's choice on how they want to learn and understand these various details. Personally, I do best reading ahead, using visual books like Eyewitness and Insight, doing a tour with a good guide, asking questions, listening closely, taking lots of pictures, reading more after I get back, etc. People need to know their options, deciding what works for them, how much they want to know, etc. The worse thing is to not plan ahead and consider all of your options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

You know I have to put in the obligatory post on the joys of DIY. ;) It's in my contract.

Seriously, though, I know I'm a history geek, but I also know I'm not the only one. Sometimes it just is good to remember that there are options and that DIY really can be just as fulfilling for those who want to do it that way.

As you always say so wisely -- it's all about options!

Yep, I'm no where near the history "geek" (read devotee) that Cynthia is, but I too like to do my own research and generally see things on my own, when possible. There's a happy middle ground for all of us.

Hey.... don't read me wrong. On our last trip we only did 1 private tour (Ephesus & area). All the rest (Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul, Athens, Naples & Rome pre and post cruise) we did on our own (read DIY).

But there are times when a guide is just soooo nice. In places where there is an abundance of stuff I seem to get what I call "visual overload". If I read about it before, I seem to forget alot. I do remember alot more when I visit and SEE the place and HEAR the guide.....but alas even then I am sure I forget alot. More important I tend to enjoy information about the people and how they lived more than the dates and who did what when how where etc etc..... sometimes too much information is worse than too little - at least to me.

Hey.... don't read me wrong. On our last trip we only did 1 private tour (Ephesus & area). All the rest (Santorini, Mykonos, Istanbul, Athens, Naples & Rome pre and post cruise) we did on our own (read DIY). But there are times when a guide is just soooo nice. In places where there is an abundance of stuff I seem to get what I call "visual overload". If I read about it before, I seem to forget alot. I do remember alot more when I visit and SEE the place and HEAR the guide.....but alas even then I am sure I forget alot. More important I tend to enjoy information about the people and how they lived more than the dates and who did what when how where etc etc..... sometimes too much information is worse than too little - at least to me.

THANKS, texancruzer, for your nice "excellent excellent post terry !!!!!!" comment! Much appreciated. From Cynthia, euro crusier and texancruzer, the "full spectrum" of options are very well summarized. I've done all three and each can work well. As noted, where you are considering your options makes a major difference. Some places merit and require more "depth" and details, others are a walk-by, nice-to-see-it type of place. If Cynthia has a "contract", where's ours? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I absolutely agree with texancruiser: Trying to see all the wonderful sights, paintings, statues and absorb all that the guide is saying (and if you are at the back of a large group, neigh impossible to hear) is often "sensory overload". One of the best guided tours we have had was when we had those individual speakers around your neck/in your ear thingies. You could even wander away a few yards, still hear the guide and not get lost!!

eurocruiser: regarding the taxi's, did you see any mini vans or were there just regular taxi's for two? The Sita bus sounds as if would suit our plan to - arrive at the site, join a small private guided tour for two hours and then have maybe an hour to explore on our own, get the bus back to Naples and visit the museum before returning to the ship.

As you can tell, we are those that "plan ahead and consider all our options" I'm still trying to figure out if we should forgo the museum and visit Sorrento instead? Ah well, so many choices.

Ieurocruiser: regarding the taxi's, did you see any mini vans or were there just regular taxi's for two? The Sita bus sounds as if would suit our plan to - arrive at the site, join a small private guided tour for two hours and then have maybe an hour to explore on our own, get the bus back to Naples and visit the museum before returning to the ship.

They have a variety of shapes and sizes, and there are plenty of minivan taxis, as well as station wagons.

Personally, I don't get the pull of Sorrento, but that's me. I'd much rather spend time in downtown Naples, at the museum or at a dozen other wonderful spots. Sorrento always seems like a outdoor tourist mall to me ... pleasant, but insipid.

wait... so I am confused- you can take a bus to the train station and then go to the lower level and take the train to Pompei for 5 euro round trip plus the bus fare OR you can take the bus straight to pompei and get there in 30 minutes!? Is the picture on the previous page where I would buy the tickets to this Bus stop? Is SITA public? Can someone give me specific instructions to this SITA bus stop and where exactly I buy the tickets, pretty please? Why would anyone take the train?! I am worried about the walk to the train station with my 6 month old daughter so i would love to be able to just take the bus all the way there if it is really that easy and fast.

You can take a bus or tram to the station, but it's not the main train station (Napoli Centrale, in Piazza Garibaldi), it's the Circumvesuviana station (on Corso Guiseppe Garibaldi).

The bus directly to Pompei leaves from Porto Immacolotella, which is less than a half mile from the cruise port, an easy walk.

I suppose the reason people lean toward the train is that it doesn't risk getting stuck in traffic on the highway, which the bus does.

Now in RomaRoxy's post back on page one it was said you could catch the bus in a parking lot right beside the small store in her picture. I looked on Google Map and that small store is right at the end of the dock parking lot, not at the train station. In my mind, if I have to go all the way to the station I would just ride the train but RR led me to believe I could catch the bus literally in the parking lot in front of the port exit. Now I am becoming confused.

Kirk

Too many conversations at once!

The bus stop I know of is at Porta Immacolotella, which is, as I said, less than a half mile from the port. The Circumvesuviana station is about a mile away, so there is a significant difference.

I can't speak to the other poster's location, although we may be speaking of the same place. If the ship this poster was on docked in one of the berths a little east of the main cruise terminal, then the Porta Immacolotella bus stop could have been right in front of them.

Perhaps if you make yourself a google map it will be more clear. Use Molo Beverello as your starting point (the main cruise ship terminal) and Porta Immacolotella as your destination. You'll see on the satelite view that the entire area is part of the port.

Yes I now see we are talking about the same location. At the base of the pier, at the circle called Molo Beverello is the little shop that sells the tickets, than it is about an 800 meter walk to Porta Immacolotella where the bus stop is located. I bet you can buy tickets at either location. Thanks for clearing that up Euro Crusier. We very well may take the bus as it is certainly closer than the train station which as EC says is almost 2 kilometers beyond the bus stop.

Kirk

Eurocruiser,

Is this what you mean? http://maps.google.com/

Does the bus drop off and pick up at the same location in Pompeii? Where does the bus drop you off when coming back to port?

Does the Sita Bus have an English web site to get more infomation?

Thanks for your help, Wendy

Does the bus drop off and pick up at the same location in Pompeii? Yes.

There is a SITA bus stop on both sides of the street where it drops off in Pompeii, just get on the one going in the direction back to Napoli. The bus stop sign is hidden by a tree, but there is a schedule on it in military time....runs about every 30 minutes.

Where does the bus drop you off when coming back to port? Not sure, because the non-English speaking bus driver pulled the bus over to get coffee. So we got off and walked. You can easily see the ships/port/giant old round building near the port from a few streets away.

Does the Sita Bus have an English web site to get more information?

I didn't see one and the Italian one looks very confusing! The SITA bus comes about like 15:00, 15:30, etc...

We were going to start looking for the train, but we're glad that the SITA bus was an option-it was very easy & convenient, not an option mentioned very often. You'll know where to get off. Just confirm with the Driver "Porto" when returning to "Napoli"....they don't speak English. ;)

wait... so I am confused- you can take a bus to the train station and then go to the lower level and take the train to Pompei for 5 euro round trip plus the bus fare OR you can take the bus straight to pompei and get there in 30 minutes!? Is the picture on the previous page where I would buy the tickets to this Bus stop? Is SITA public? Can someone give me specific instructions to this SITA bus stop and where exactly I buy the tickets, pretty please? Why would anyone take the train?! I am worried about the walk to the train station with my 6 month old daughter so i would love to be able to just take the bus all the way there if it is really that easy and fast.

• Is the picture on the previous page where I would buy the tickets to this Bus stop? YES. Is SITA public? YES. It looked more like a motorcoach than your typical city bus. There were only 4 other passengers on our return bus to Napoli.

• You can take the bus straight to pompei and get there in 30 minutes!? Yes, about 30-40 minutes. No need to get on the train.

• Why would anyone take the train?! I'm not sure, but I'm glad the SITA bus was an option. I didn't even know about it until we went into that building, because we saw signs in the window offering transportation to various places. I don't think many tourists knew about the SITA bus, because I kept reading about taking the train.

• I am worried about the walk to the train station with my 6 month old daughter so i would love to be able to just take the bus all the way there if it is really that easy and fast. I agree, take the bus, it was quick, easy, and convenient in my opinion. :)

We are scheduled to be in Naples on June 25 and are planning on going to Pompeii. The official website where strikes are listed is in Italian and lists a strike scheduled for June 25. We are trying to figure out our transport options should the strike indeed occur.

It is listed as "Generale" : "Aziende del Settore Pubbliche e Private" : "Cgil" : 8

"Generale" : "Categorie Pubbliche e Private" : "Cub" : 24

Will we be able to take the Circumvesuviana train? Will we be able to take the SITA bus?

Will we be able to take a cab with the mandated 90E fare to Pompeii?

The information you all have provided for the SITA bus was so helpful and I thank you for that. I knew about the train but did not know about the bus option.

Is there a bus that continues on to Sorrento from Pompeii. I would assume so, but I would like to know for sure so there are no surprises.

I think the SITA bus goes to Sorrento as we were originally planning to go to Sorrento, but ended up enjoying Pompeii much longer. :)

We are scheduled to be in Naples on June 25 and are planning on going to Pompeii. The official website where strikes are listed is in Italian and lists a strike scheduled for June 25. We are trying to figure out our transport options should the strike indeed occur.

It is listed as "Generale" : "Aziende del Settore Pubbliche e Private" : "Cgil" : 8

"Generale" : "Categorie Pubbliche e Private" : "Cub" : 24

Will we be able to take the Circumvesuviana train? Will we be able to take the SITA bus?

Will we be able to take a cab with the mandated 90E fare to Pompeii?

The information you all have provided for the SITA bus was so helpful and I thank you for that. I knew about the train but did not know about the bus option.

That's too bad about the strike in Naples scheduled the same day that you will be there. :( (we didn't get to go to Nice last Monday, because of a Summit meeting) it's annoying when these things happen.

I'm wondering who you could email to confirm this for sure. Who will be on strike? Is it the city workers of Naples?

Archived