Roll Call - Christmas Markets 2010 - all lines...

franski

Nuremberg weather forecast for tomorrow calling for a low of 33f with snow flurries

Getting close to perfect weather for the markets

Yikes!!! I was cold here in Vegas yesterday when it was a high of 72F.

Well Bree28 we are on the reverse one week ahead of you and 4 days behind autotripper! Going to book our train tickets Frankfurt to Nuremberg this weekend. Got to get the old language programs up and running again.

Repositioning post....

Leaving one month tomorrow - starting to get excited!!! Will need to get focused in my hunt for a coat. I do have "winter" coats (obviously need something warm living in Southern Ontario...) - but most are too warm for this trip. Looking for a 2-in-1, or 3-in-1 --> with a waterproof shell. Tough job - shopping - but I think I am up to the challenge.... :D

Have been collecting bubble wrap and tissue. Will be buying some Euros --> just watching the price, as the exchange rate seems fairly good right now.

We leave in about 1 month. Coming from Arizona we found some nice 3:1 jackets thru Lands End. DH never is cold but I always am! Going with layering. Buying extra gloves for the trip. WE bought some Euros this summer when the exchange was down--thank heavens! Getting excited and reviewing all the helpful hints here. Hard to think of cool/cold weather when it was 90 degrees yesterday!

Ok - when I got further into the website, the list of vendors is in German - so not as "reader friendly" as I thought... Got really excited and posted. But - it may get "better" closer to opening day...

Wife and I taking this river cruise starting in Amsterdam to Zurich leaving Canada on Nov 25th. We have 2 nights in Lucerne and 2 nights in Zurich after the cruise. Anyone else going on this cruise and date?

We are going on the return trip Basel to Amsterdam, December 3. Would be interested to read about your progress is you can post on your way up the river.

I have an opportunity to go on the GCT cruise of the Rhine from Basal to Brussels departing December 6th. I have never done a river cruise and have read some of the threads...I would welcome any information/suggestions/advice on doing this cruise.

I will be leaving for Uniworlds Christmas Markets tour - Vienna-Nuremberg. This is my first river cruise and I am very excited. This cruise will be on the ship River Countess. Has anyone traveled on this vessel before? I also salute Uniworld for waiving the single supplement fees for this particular week. A definite plus in my selecting to tour with them!.

gailellen12, I will be one of your fellow cruisers! It is my first River Cruise as well. Actually, it will be my first cruise ever! I too, booked this trip because of the single supplement being waved. Just 4 weeks until we leave. Whooohooo :D

We did this itinerary on this same ship last year. It was my 2nd Uniworld cruise and all I can say is once again Uniworld did a fantastic job. The crew were great, the ship was all decorated, we had time in each port to see the markets.

We arrived into Vienna a few days in advance. We stayed at the Hilton which is a 2 min. walk from the train station which was easy to get right from the airport. Old town is across the street from the hotel. Their are various markets in the old town that are about a 10-20 min. walk from the hotel. We did the palace on our own, took the subway there, bought tickets for the palace tour, walked the grounds & did the Christmas market on our own. Saved ourselves some money.

suggestions; the ship has a coffee machine where you can get anytime of the day various types of coffee and hot chocolate....bring a insulated mug that has a lid (like the kind you can buy at starabucks). It makes is so much easier to walk around the boat with your drink without spilling. This ship was multi step decks (like maybe 5-6 steps) plus it will keep your drink warm if you decide to go up on deck with it.

Your boat in Nuremberg doesn't dock in the center of town. It's about a 15 + min. bus ride away. I would suggest after your guided tour in Nuremberg, stay on in the city and do the Christmas market rather than going back to the ship for lunch and then going back into town to shop. Uniworld runs shuttle buses back and forth a couple times during the day but you really waste a lot of time going back and forth. Plus there were a lot of good stands selling food that were very reasonable.

Have a wonderful time. We had such a great time last year that we are doing the Rhine Christmas Markets this year Basel to Amsterdam.

Anymore questions, let me know.

If you are travelling Uniworld the information is available in the Cruise Companions (Uniworld site, before you go, cruise companions on the right and choose your itinerary). Most Uniworld ships seem to have 220V with one 110V outlet in each stateroom (although the 110V is usually just for a razor).

Europe is 220V. Most chargers now are dual voltage, they will probably say something like 110-240V. If the appliance or charger is dual voltage, all you need is an adapter plug (Europe is 2 round plugs; adapters are available anywhere. Otherwise, you will need a voltage transformer.

If you are travelling Uniworld the information is available in the Cruise Companions (Uniworld site, before you go, cruise companions on the right and choose your itinerary). Most Uniworld ships seem to have 220V with one 110V outlet in each stateroom (although the 110V is usually just for a razor).

Europe is 220V. Most chargers now are dual voltage, they will probably say something like 110-240V. If the appliance or charger is dual voltage, all you need is an adapter plug (Europe is 2 round plugs; adapters are available anywhere. Otherwise, you will need a voltage transformer.

Yes, all I took on GCT boat in July was the adapter plug and made sure my electric hair styling equpment read 120/240 our battery charger worked well with just the plug as stated Europe is 2 round plugs. It is nice not to have to carry the heavy transformer

Archived