Oasis Heading Back to Nassau, Missing St. Thomas

That's OK. I have misread many statements before only because at the time I was reading something I was reading it with the feelings I had at that moment. I have been told several times that a poster was actually trying to be funny and I was too serious and needed to get a life.

When I wrote that statement towards your post I actually meant it to be read in a calm, matter-of-fact voice.

I wish that when we write things we had a way of letting people know that we are writing something in a calm matter-of-fact tone or are really writing it with an angry mental voice. But atlas I don't think that is possible.

I know posting lacks personality :( I try to be funny with alot of my posts and well sometimes they do and sometimes they don't LOL I did not take your comment in anyway as anger or upset. :) Thanks for writing to explain but no worries on my end!

purty please teach me how to make those faces!!! I have seen many posts with them but have NO CLUE how to incorporate them in my posts.

The mad face :mad: is made by typing a : and the word "mad" and a :.

The winkie face ;) is made by typing a ; and a ).

The big grin face :D is made by typing a : and a D.

:D

Theron

purty please teach me how to make those faces!!! I have seen many posts with them but have NO CLUE how to incorporate them in my posts.

Let me try something with the Code tags:

:o

:o

:)

:)

:(

:(

:confused:

:confused:

:mad:

:mad:

:p

:p

Theron

If you look to the right of the space where you type your posts you should see the icons. You just click on one where you want to insert it into your posts......like this.....:D:eek::rolleyes::p

I don't have any to the right :sad: I have some at the bottom of where I post but those are just for the Title part

Its sad to hear about the crew member committing suicide, I feel sorry for the rest of the crew and the crewmember's family.

On a different note, its good news to hear that the wedding took place and worked out well, even if not what the bride and her husband had originally planned.

Regarding weddings in ports of call, I can imagine this is similar to gambling.. personally, if I were to ever get married again, I would love to do it onboard the cruiseship. That is appealing to me.

Happy Crusing everyone!!

I think it's very sad that yet another crew member chose to end their life. Yeah, missing St. Thomas stinks but heck, being on the Oasis is better than some other ships. I would imagine the sea days on that behemoth are not boring at all. I like port days 'cause I get bored on the ship after a while, but I've never sailed on the Oasis. I think $400 is more than generous.

I sure hope cruise lines wake up and do more to help their crew members deal with the long time at sea, and being away from family and friends. I've never worked on a ship but I have worked over in the "desert" and living on a military base for five months away from my friends and family, when I was going through a painful break-up back home was awful, and I had nobody to turn to either. :(

I just had a thought...this comment made me think that maybe if the passengers were kinder to the staff it would help. Just like the poster here on the thread who has apparently no compassion for human life, there are probably more like that poster. They are probably just as ugly to the crew in person.

I am so sorry for the loss of the crew member. It has to be a tough life and I appreciate all the workers so very much. They make my vacations wonderful!

I just had a thought...this comment made me think that maybe if the passengers were kinder to the staff it would help. Just like the poster here on the thread who has apparently no compassion for human life, there are probably more like that poster. They are probably just as ugly to the crew in person.

I am so sorry for the loss of the crew member. It has to be a tough life and I appreciate all the workers so very much. They make my vacations wonderful!

Very well said, I agree 100%!

I agree 100%. Working customer service positions are the most difficult b/c there are definately some rude people out there. People that will treat someone that is working their hardest like dirt.

I work in a pharmacy. And pretty much every staff member has been brought to tears from really rude customers cussing us out. On our pharmacy forums, the #1 advice is to grow tough skin or you'll never survive. Can you imagine being yelled at and getting upset at being a normal day?

Customer service is definitely a difficult job, especially when you are doing all you can and no matter what, the customer is never satisfied.

On my first cruise, I was onboard Majesty of the Seas. There was a difficult customer in line, a truly ridiculous lady. Her complaint was about the way the room was set up and where the tv was located and she was very nasty, demanding another room.. in spite of all of this, the person at the "purser desk or is it customer service desk onboard" was very professional at all times, was consistently courteous and handled it quite diplomatically.

I was so impressed with how they dealt with it that I went online after getting home and went on the RCCL website, contacted the corporate office and filed a form just to let them know how wonderful their onboard staff was.

Obviously, people in customer service know they are going to deal with rude, obnoxious, difficult, challenging people occasionally or somewhat frequently, but its still impressive to me that someone is capable of managing all that without becoming nasty themselves.

Whats wrong with being pissed because your ship misses port? They paid alot of money to go on that cruise. Most people would be mad, they just don't want to say it here.

What's wrong is totally ignoring the reason for the ship missing the port - the tragic death of a crew member. Unless one is totally lacking in compassion, I believe that more acceptable reactions might be disappointment at missing the port and sadness for the event that caused it. Being "pissed" is a totally self-centered reaction that in most circles is not considered an acceptable reaction to the situation that occurred. And everyone paid a lot of money to go on that cruise but most understood that "stuff happens" over which they have little or no control. I wonder if that same poster would put getting to St. Thomas ahead of going back to see if they could locate the person who went overboard, if that person happened to be a close relative or friend?:rolleyes:

LSpencer,

I think you are using the "quick reply" box to reply so you are not getting as many options as you would if you used the "reply to thread" button (on the left just under the last post). This button opens a reply box that not only lets you insert smilies:) but also lets you change the font or change the font sizeor color.

Jan

• 3 months later...

First of all, how sad for the crew member's family and other crew.

Re: reimbursements--I was surprised to hear this. I think there were some posts on a thread back in June or July that a similar thing happened, and I don't recall that there were any reimbursements given, and people were upset about that.

Re: weddings--I also recall reading the exact same thing happened on that other cruise, someone had planned a wedding in St. Thomas, St. Thomas got cancelled, so they had to arrange a wedding really quick in St. Maartin, which was nice, but not what the bride had planned, plus family were left waiting in St. Thomas. Weird how that happened again.

Re: Missing Ports--when we were on the Mariner in July of 05, we were really looking forward to St. Thomas since (1) that's where we went on our honeymoon and this was our 20th anniversary and we were looking forward to going again; and (2) this was a "healing" cruise for my mother and I since I had just lost my dad and she her husband of 62 years, and she was hoping to do some retail therapy there. We were out-running Hurricane Floyd? was it? and thus our San Juan, St. Thomas and private island itinerary turned into San Juan, Cozumel and Labadee. We were very disappointed, since we didn't want San Juan, but it was part of the St. Thomas trip, we did not want the Western itinerary, but ended up in Cozumel, and we did want St. Thomas, and never got there. Fortunately, the reason was weather, not a tragedy, but we were disappointed nonetheless. RCl did not offer any credit, nor did we expect it, since we knew that the ports were subject to change, especially due to weather. One would think everyone knows ports are subject to change due to any reason, weather, man overboard, safety, etc., and would not expect compensation. Disappointment is to be expected, however.

Re: weddings again--a beach wedding sounds so romantic, and a cruise/beach wedding even better, since you can have the honeymoon with the whole wedding party and family and friends! But I agree, it is risky to do that planning on having people meet you at the location, since you never know if the ship will actually make it there or not. Still, every girl dreams of her wedding day and wants it perfect. Having all the details worked out, only to have the ship skip that port, must have been devastating, the reasons for which being tragic notwithstanding.

Archived