Horizons and Smoking

yarramar

Have been reading another thread regarding smoking starboard in the Horizons Bar.

We have stateroom 8005 booked and were looking forward to spending most of our time on the balcony eating, reading, gazing etc. Now I realise that we will be directly under the designated smoking area:eek:.

As I can smell smoke from a thousand paces do any of you know if this will create a problem and should I try to get a reallocation?

Have been reading another thread regarding smoking starboard in the Horizons Bar.

We have stateroom 8005 booked and were looking forward to spending most of our time on the balcony eating, reading, gazing etc. Now I realise that we will be directly under the designated smoking area:eek:.

As I can smell smoke from a thousand paces do any of you know if this will create a problem and should I try to get a reallocation?

Smoking in Horizons is on the Port side. We had a port balcony on deck 7 for 26 days and never detected problem. Smoking on the pool deck is on the Starboard side, forward. We had a Starboard balcony for 14 days and never detected a problem. (The R ships are only about 300 paces long.)

Believe me, if there was any smoke to be smelled, Betsy would have detected it! :D

I always thought that Smoke either drifted laterally or rose in the air.

Therefore your cabin should be smoke free.........but beware small passing ships who may not have a similar policy and who may be within your 1000 paces.

Brian

I always thought that Smoke either drifted laterally or rose in the air.

Therefore your cabin should be smoke free.........but beware small passing ships who may not have a similar policy and who may be within your 1000 paces.

Brian

Brian_UK,

LOL.

As a retired sailor I can tell you that if a ship passing is as close as 1,000 paces:eek:, the passengers (and even more so the bridge crew on watch) have something more to be concerned with that drifting cigarette smoke. With that close of an approach we would say that the "CPA is frame 53!"

We were in 8002 on our first O cruise several years ago - never smelled any smoke. That's right smack below the port side of Horizons where smoking is allowed (agree with hondorner).

BTW, Horizons is enclosed so I would not have thought of this as a potential issue. It's also 2 floors up from the highest balconies.

How much of the port side? Isn't it just a couple of tables at the entrance?

Yes, it is a small area. I don't know how firmly delineated the area is but only the few tables in the back were occupied by smokers on our two cruises.

Other than to smoke or commiserate with smokers there would be no reason to sit back there and I never saw anyone close to that area (in the evenings). The dance floor and bar is nearer the front and the view is not very good from back in that corner

There may be air cleaners in the area - I did not notice. I had even forgotten there was smoking allowed inside until one evening when leaving Horizons I walked out 'that' door instead of the port side as I usually did (by chance). It was no doubt stinky passing by. I simply used the other door most of the time.

horizons.jpg.10049124d3a63feb457b47aded5e5ac6.jpg

Yes, it is a small area. I don't know how firmly delineated the area is but only the few tables in the back were occupied by smokers on our two cruises.

I walked out 'that' door instead of the port side as I usually did (by chance). It was no doubt stinky passing by. I simply used the other door most of the time.

the smoking area is on the PORT side (left when facing the front)

as I recall there is a booth type seating but not many seats there

It also depends on the cruise & how many smokers are on the ship

Some cruises they have pool deck smoking area crowded & other time hardly anyone there

the smoking area is on the PORT side (left when facing the front)

as I recall there is a booth type seating but not many seats there

Some cruises they have pool deck smoking area crowded & other time hardly anyone there

Thanks for the correction, I misspoke; perhaps momentarily overcome by the fumes.

How much of the port side? Isn't it just a couple of tables at the entrance?

On Regatta two weeks ago, it was only three tables, seating four each, on the port side which were the farthest to the rear, two along the back wall and one in front of the one by the window.

I hope you don't mean that, paraphrasing Murphy's Law, the smoke expands to fill the space needed by the number of smokers onboard.

Surely it is a fixed small area and does not expand...or am I too hopeful?

As a non-smoker, I want the worst-case scenario, and to be sure that the smoking permitted does not exceed that simply because on a particular sailing a group of smokers booked.

I hope you don't mean that, paraphrasing Murphy's Law, the smoke expands to fill the space needed by the number of smokers onboard.

Surely it is a fixed small area and does not expand...or am I too hopeful?

As a non-smoker, I want the worst-case scenario, and to be sure that the smoking permitted does not exceed that simply because on a particular sailing a group of smokers booked.

The space does not expand

There may be more smokers on one cruise compared to another they still have to stick to the designated areas

I have only once seen approx a dozen smokers in the pool smoking area... all the other cruises there is usually on a few people ..it is not like on the mass market lines where you have a 100 + smokers onboard

You just never know how many are on each cruise until you get there;)

Both spaces are easily avoided

Lyn

You can avoid the smoking areas

I think there is more important things to worry about. ..like what flavour of ice cream will they have;)

Just enjoy the cruise why stress out over something you have no control over

Lyn

Come to think of it Lyn, when we cruised with you, your preferred location for daytime was on deck ten, just above the pool deck smoking area.

If the smoke didn't bother you there, it must be fairly innocuous.

Come to think of it Lyn, when we cruised with you, your preferred location for daytime was on deck ten, just above the pool deck smoking area.

If the smoke didn't bother you there, it must be fairly innocuous.

You are right... I never thought about the location

I never noticed the smoke unless I went down the stairs there

Lyn

I hesitated before I finally decided to answer this issue. We have been in 8001, 8003, and 8005 (starboard), and just above these rooms is the "outside" smoking area, which you can DEFINITELY smell when you are on your balcony. If you go to your room, do not go in the starboard door on 9. Go in on port and cross across to go down the stairs to 8.

We usually book these rooms because we love starboard forward. We have, however, thought about booking elsewhere because of the smell of smoke. When our door to the balcony is closed, then we are okay.

Of course, it depends on the number of smokers.

Re the Horizon, we haven't detected any smell in that area unless we are in Horizons and get within that area. We just stay away from the port side of Horizon, and if no seating is available starboard, then we just go elsewhere.

Actually, my hats off to Oceania for controlling the smoking. I have developed asthma, and it is wonderful to have smoke free rooms. It is, however, unfortunate, that the outside smoking area allows the smoke to drift.

So, the smoking areas are: 9 starboard outside forward & 10 port inside.

Ditto for us on 7 Starboard forward. You smell the smoke. On the balcony some days, in the corridors some days. Smoke DOES drift down.....honestly.

Yes, if you cannot bear ANY Whiff of tobacco smoke, it is best to stay as far away from the ship-board areas where smoking is allowed as you can.

If you are that sensitive to tobacco, however, you may want to rethink vacationing in Europe, Asia, Africa or South America as smoking is still much more prevalent there.

It is possible to avoid tobacco on those continents, but but smoking restrictions are certainly not a given as they are in North America.

We recently were on an A cruise and had a tour of the ships bridge, kitchen and engine rooms. They reeked with smoke. Then we noticed that every time we went past the crews quarters we could smell smoke.

We recently were on an A cruise and had a tour of the ships bridge, kitchen and engine rooms. They reeked with smoke. Then we noticed that every time we went past the crews quarters we could smell smoke.

The kitchen? Ugh. I am surprised (and disappointed) to learn that smoking would be permitted where food is prepared, or maybe it is not permitted but some crew members do it anyway? Either way, I would like to see an end to that practice.

There is a small cruise company called American Safari Cruises that has adopted a new policy that only non-smokers will be hired (from captain down, no positions excepted). It will be part of the employees contract. Smoke and get fired.

I just noticed you said an "A" cruise.

That's not an "O" cruise, right? ;) :D

I think on O they have designated areas for the crew to smoke

One of the reception girls said they had an on outside area to go for their smoke but I think they may have one inside as well

Archived