Anyone doing the HCG diet?

OK, as I get more and more into this I like to read and do research with the idea of making more educated and therefore better choices. So if I gain any helpful tips or knowledge I would like to share them. Be aware - I am not an expert at anything other then eating food, I'm just trying to pass on things I have read. You can decide whether or not the information is good for you.

Today I have been doing research on negative calorie foods. Negative calorie foods are those that require more calories to digest and process then they actually contain.

For example, I read that strawberries require twice as much calories to digest as they contain. If a strawberry serving is 50 calories, the body uses 100 calories to digest them, therefore you are at a net loss of 50 calories.

I have no idea of the validity of the concept, but since the foods are all natural and some are part of the diet, could it hurt to favor those foods over others? Who knows, but why not try it. Might help break through a plateau.

List of negative calorie foods:

Fruits

apple

grapefruit

lemon

orange

strawberries

Vegetables

asparagus

broccoli

cabbage (green)

celery

Chile peppers (hot)

cucumber

garlic

lettuce

onion

radishes

spinach

Interesting that many of those are in Simeon's protocol - I wonder if that's why they were chosen? Hmmm.

I think so. I deleted some of the others from the list because I didn't want to encourage anyone to eat off the protocol.

The more I research the HCG protocol, the more I can't understand why it isn't more accepted or why so many react so harshly to it. The reason, I think why people fail with it is they do not understand the science behind it. It is not like other diets where you simply cheat and cut back the next day to make up for it. No, the food program, especially during phase 2 VLCD days, is specifically designed to work with the HCG and the hormones in your body to 1) lose weight and 2) re-train your approach towards feeding yourself.

It is not a diet, is a system, where everything must be in balance to work right. I don't want to come across as a kool aid (stevia sweetened, of course) drinking, zealot of Dr. S., but I am sticking to the letter of the plan and it works. I have not had one legit hunger pang. Have I had times where I was "hungry" sure but I have learned to recognize it not as a body crying out for food due to hunger, but a triggered response to a commercial, a smell of something tasty or a habitual behavior.

Maybe I'll feel different by day 28, but I doubt it. Today while I was driving, I was thinking to myself - wow, this must be how it feels to be "normal" where food isn't anything more then a fueling, pit stop for the body vs. a comforting hug or a mindless thing to do while watching tv.

I think so. I deleted some of the others from the list because I didn't want to encourage anyone to eat off the protocol.

The more I research the HCG protocol, the more I can't understand why it isn't more accepted or why so many react so harshly to it. The reason, I think why people fail with it is they do not understand the science behind it. It is not like other diets where you simply cheat and cut back the next day to make up for it. No, the food program, especially during phase 2 VLCD days, is specifically designed to work with the HCG and the hormones in your body to 1) lose weight and 2) re-train your approach towards feeding yourself.

It is not a diet, is a system, where everything must be in balance to work right. I don't want to come across as a kool aid (stevia sweetened, of course) drinking, zealot of Dr. S., but I am sticking to the letter of the plan and it works. I have not had one legit hunger pang. Have I had times where I was "hungry" sure but I have learned to recognize it not as a body crying out for food due to hunger, but a triggered response to a commercial, a smell of something tasty or a habitual behavior.

Maybe I'll feel different by day 28, but I doubt it. Today while I was driving, I was thinking to myself - wow, this must be how it feels to be "normal" where food isn't anything more then a fueling, pit stop for the body vs. a comforting hug or a mindless thing to do while watching tv.

I totally agree! I am on other boards and watch a lot of youtube vlogs and I just can't believe how many people treat this like any other diet and cheat constantly. And then do a correction day to make up for it! And they just can't understand why they can't stabilize in P3. It's so much more than a diet - it's hormone therapy - and you have to follow the protocol to get the benefits of the hormone therapy and hypothalmus reset. And with hcg in your system, it's easy to resist cheating. I can honestly say in my 2 rounds so far I never cheated on off-protocol food. I barely wanted to eat anything anyway. But I do use 1 tbs. coconut oil every day - so I guess I can't say I am total POP - but very close. And P3 was very easy for me - I stabilized perfectly. So I think it makes a difference.

Are you doing injections? I also think that makes everything easier.

That is interesting about that list. I had downloaded the WK Apocalypse last week prior to reading this post, and you are right. The book is amazing.

I did have a glass (or two) of wine during the weekend but that's all.

Also, how are y'all managing your workouts. I went to the gym for some treadmill time on Saturday and thought I was going to faint. But I did work in the yard yesterday for a few hours and did fine.

Keep up the great fight!

Donna

I did have a glass (or two) of wine during the weekend but that's all.

Also, how are y'all managing your workouts. I went to the gym for some treadmill time on Saturday and thought I was going to faint. But I did work in the yard yesterday for a few hours and did fine.

Careful with the wine, the one thing that will short circuit the program is sugar and wine for better or worse has mucho sugar to go along wiht mucho taste :) (I won't even go into what Weightloss Apocolyse's discussion about habits of eating at social events ;) )

My workouts have stopped. I am doing low impact stuff - working in the yard, long walks, hitting a heavy bag - just things to keep myself moving versus muscle fatigue. The protocol during VLCD cannot sustain you for a heavy workout. Set that aside for now, you will lose the weight better without the intense workout.

By the way, it has been a week since day 1 of loading, got on the scale:

-22 lbs from my post loading high. Can I get a "WOOT WOOT!"

Yet another benefit of being a guy - easier weight loss :p

TIP: POTASSIUM - Don't forget your supplements. Potassium is important from what I have read during VLCD and I found out the hard way. I woke up early Saturday with bad leg cramps. For about 2 years, every morning I drank a small glass of V8 to get my potassium. I had not had a muscle cramp/spasm since then. Upon being jolted out of sleep with a leg cramp it dawned on me that I was not getting my potassium intake. Took my doctor prescribed potassium supplement every day since, no cramping.

Congrats for your weight loss...and yes men can lose faster. That's the way it happens.

And thanks for the advice on wine. No more for me. Down 6 pounds since last Thursday. And yes, I have been watching the youtube videos about the WLA book...the discussions are adding alot.

Take care,

Donna

6 lbs is awesome.

Keep it up, the problem with sugars and fats with the hcg is that the hormone reacts (for lack of a better word) to it and can trigger weight gain despite low calorie intake.

I do the daily injections, what method are you using?

I admit to only reading the last couple pages ( of the 73 ! )

I am crusing in September.. and trying to get some of this weight off before..

I am presently on day 6 of Phase 2..

Down 5.4 lbs. ( 3 were load pounds )

Experiencing MILD hunger that I understand will subside in the next couple days..

VERY happy to find a board with people to relate to!

Christine

By the way, it has been a week since day 1 of loading, got on the scale:

-22 lbs from my post loading high. Can I get a "WOOT WOOT!"

Yet another benefit of being a guy - easier weight loss :p

TIP: POTASSIUM - Don't forget your supplements. Potassium is important from what I have read during VLCD and I found out the hard way. I woke up early Saturday with bad leg cramps. For about 2 years, every morning I drank a small glass of V8 to get my potassium. I had not had a muscle cramp/spasm since then. Upon being jolted out of sleep with a leg cramp it dawned on me that I was not getting my potassium intake. Took my doctor prescribed potassium supplement every day since, no cramping.

Congrats on the 22 pounds - that is amazing!!!

Today is VLCD1 for me so I am ready to start reporting some more losses of my own. :)

Good point about the potassium. I got a few cramps during Round 1 - but nothing since. I guess your body probably adjusts to the change in diet? Anyway - I keep some Morton's Lite Salt around to take just in case.

I admit to only reading the last couple pages ( of the 73 ! )

I am crusing in September.. and trying to get some of this weight off before..

I am presently on day 6 of Phase 2..

Down 5.4 lbs. ( 3 were load pounds )

Experiencing MILD hunger that I understand will subside in the next couple days..

VERY happy to find a board with people to relate to!

Christine

Welcome Christine and congrats on your first week!

Welcome Christine...Nice job on the loss. I am about two days ahead of you in the plan.

If you want to make your weight loss real, go find a gym weight that matches your weight loss. Pick it up, that's how much you've lost. I picked up a 20lb dumbbell today and was kind of amazed at how heavy it felt. Otherwise, to me anyway, the number is just a number. I like to make it real somehow.

I'm a little worried about the phase 3 transition, but hopefully my head will be on fully straight by then.

Today I had my first craving - a glazed donut. I haven't had a donut in about 5 years and a glazed one in about 10years - what the heck?!? Where did that come from??? Luckily it was right before lunch so I just ate my lunch and it went away. But man, for a few minutes I was jonesing hard for a donut.

Congrats on the 22 pounds - that is amazing!!!

Today is VLCD1 for me so I am ready to start reporting some more losses of my own. :)

Good point about the potassium. I got a few cramps during Round 1 - but nothing since. I guess your body probably adjusts to the change in diet? Anyway - I keep some Morton's Lite Salt around to take just in case.

Thanks! More to come. However, motivating stuff.

You get on it girl, you are the experienced hand at this stuff. I'm waiting for some solid number reporting.

Hey what does the Morton's Salt do?

Thanks for the tip...that's a great ideal about the salt.

I did work out yesterday and was ok...not great but that's ok.

Hope y'all are feeling and doing well. And BTW, I love the book WL Aco...

Trying to get my BF into it as well.

Happy Tuesday!

Donna

(forgive me I had a glass of white wine last night...I am a bad person )

Thanks for the tip...that's a great ideal about the salt.

I did work out yesterday and was ok...not great but that's ok.

Hope y'all are feeling and doing well. And BTW, I love the book WL Aco...

Trying to get my BF into it as well.

Happy Tuesday!

Donna

(forgive me I had a glass of white wine last night...I am a bad person )

You might trying adding some extra protein if you work out. I've heard people have had success doing that. I can't imagine having the energy to work out on the 500 calorie days so I am impressed. :)

One thing I love about this protocol - no exercise needed. :) I want to do some toning when I get to my goal weight but it's so nice not having to stress about fitting in exercise right now. I've lost weight before using just exercise and it seemed like I had to keep working out longer and harder just to maintain the loss. So I don't want to get into that cycle again.

Today was my first weigh-in for this round and I am down 1.6 lbs. Was hoping for more - but I'll take it! I hope everyone has a great day!!

I am doing the shots (trust me, they are not bad at all) from a MD clinic in my area (North Cobb County, Georgia).

From everything I have read/heard they are the most effective.

Probably the most expensive too but they are working SO...to me it's cheaper than new clothes for my upcoming cruise.

Good luck!

Donna

Down 25#. Now for some maintenace. Next month I'll start a new round.

Awesome...

Down 24.5 myself.

I found a place to track my food intake on line. It calculates calories etc as well as tracks weigh ins etc...I find it really helpful. Anyone else do something like this or is everyone just go with old school paper?

I use myfitnesspal because it has an iPhone app and online version. I love that you add friends like Facebook and everyone can comment on your progress. It's a great community.

Yup, that's the one.

OK, two things - I am proud of myself and the change in my habits. I actually read the content labels of some of the things around the house and could not believe the hidden sugars. Right now I am looking at a guacamole mix (I'm not eating it, just was reading labels) it says right on the Nutrition Facts label that it has 0g of sugar. Yet, I look at the list of ingredients and what is the first ingredient? Yup, sugar...ok, granted they call it maltodextrin, but a little googling and I find out it is sugar and should be avoided on HCG diet.

Item#2) I have a business dinner tomorrow night - I checked the menu online and there is absolutely nothing being served that I can eat. Pork chops, potatoes and green beans in some sort of sauce :rolleyes:. I think I will excuse myself for the dinner portion, hang around the hotel lobby, then come back in...not sure yet.

Anyone have ideas? I am kind of nervous about it.

Archived