New Shanghai Cruise Terminal - Public Transportation?

NAJNLA

Can anybody who has been there provide any information on the public transportation that is available at the new Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal in Shanghai; i.e., are there nearby subway and bus lines that will take you into the downtown area?

Shanghai Cruise Terminal . We were there recently and it is very close to the Bund. We walked from the boat to the Bund in 15 minutes, and it was 30 minute walk to Nanjing Road and the main shopping drag . Did not see any public transport anywhere near the Cruise Terminal. Taxis in Shanghai are relatively cheap . There is but one small problem the taxi drivers whilst very friendly and obliging do not speak English . So you need to either have someone write down in Chinese where you want to go to, and also to get back to the Cruise Terminal . Alternatively just get a city area map and mark on it where you want to go to, and be sure to have someone on your boat mark the cruise boat location on the map for your return trip.

Shanghai is a massive city (like 18m people) and it is all a bit overwhelming at first , but you soon learn to get around . The only PT I was adventurous enough to use was the Metro which has many lines, dual Chinese/English signage and is easy to use .

Must sees in Shanghai : The Bund, Ancient Gardens, Nanjing Road, The Cultural Museum, Night time river cruise on Hungpao River (for the lights), and if you can squeeze it in a ride on the Maglev train at 430kmh wow ; and of course there is World Expo till October '10 .

i would agree with the previous post. taxis are dirt cheap. i hit all the main sights, and never paid more than 3 or 4 dollars, US, except when i went over to the pearl tower which was about 10 bucks.

the cab drivers are nice and polite, but none that i had spoke a word of english. fortunately, the cruise line had a print out with the address in english and chinese. i just pointed on the sheet to where i wanted to go and the took me there. worked out well.

i would agree with the previous post. taxis are dirt cheap. i hit all the main sights, and never paid more than 3 or 4 dollars, US, except when i went over to the pearl tower which was about 10 bucks.

the cab drivers are nice and polite, but none that i had spoke a word of english. fortunately, the cruise line had a print out with the address in english and chinese. i just pointed on the sheet to where i wanted to go and the took me there. worked out well.

Just curious, did you pay in Chinese currency and how did you agree on the price? Thanks.

Can anybody who has been there provide any information on the public transportation that is available at the new Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal in Shanghai; i.e., are there nearby subway and bus lines that will take you into the downtown area?

Perhaps I should emphasize:).....my question is in regard to the new Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal for large cruise ships that opened just a month ago on April 27, 2010. The first ship to use the terminal was the Diamond Princess. I'd like a response from anybody who has used public transportation from this new terminal.

Edited by NAJNLA

My response info previously related to the existing (last 5 years or so) cruise terminal in Shanghai used by small to medium sized vessels.

Taxis in Shanghai operate on meters, so just make sure the thing is engaged on departure - so no bargaining or haggling . The Chinese are by and large very honest hard working and cheerful people who are very polite and halpful to most tourist provided you extend normal courtesies .

Re the new Cruise terminal which will be further downstream (and thus further away from Downtown Shanghai) find out if it near their extensive MTR network . Then taxi to the nearest MTR station and you are in business .

Taxis are really cheap, so even then it probably won't break the bank . You pay in Chinese Yuan CASH .

Just curious, did you pay in Chinese currency and how did you agree on the price? Thanks.

i paid in the yuan, but stated in in dollars as a courtesy. taxis are metered.

sorry, i didn't understand the OP was talking about the new, farther out terminal.

Could anyone tell me where the "Shanghai International Cruise Terminal - NO. 800 Dong Da Ming Road" is?

Is it the one near the Bund referred to by kuldalai above or is it the new terminal 30 kilometers out of the city?

I am on a small ship so I guess it could dock in either place.

Many thanks.

Could anyone tell me where the "Shanghai International Cruise Terminal - NO. 800 Dong Da Ming Road" is?

Is it the one near the Bund referred to by kuldalai above or is it the new terminal 30 kilometers out of the city?

I am on a small ship so I guess it could dock in either place.

Many thanks.

the dong da ming road one is located next to the bund.

Yes, copy the street address of the Cruise Terminal near the BUND which is a couple of posts above, and print that out and take it to Shanghai with you .

Then just give it to your Hotel Concierge and he will write out directions for a taxi driver in Chinese . Assuming you are joining your cruise in Shanghai your cruise line may well issue you with directions and a map also .

This is a link to one cruise lines directions to the terminal including a map .

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/before_board/Ports/Default.htm?&CallPort=SHA

This thread has gotten a little off subject........my original question is in regard to Shanghai's brand new Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal for large cruise ships that opened just a month ago on April 27, 2010.

Can anybody who has been in the new terminal provide any information on the public transportation that is available at the new terminal; i.e., are there nearby subway and bus lines that will take you into the downtown area?

Wusongkou Cruise Terminal is in the Baoshan District, a suburban area north of Shanghai downtown. A suburban area in China is very "urban and downtown" with a dense population, so not the same picture as that in North America.

See this link for details about the area:

http://yeschinatour.com/china-guides/china-attractions/port-wusongkou-shanghai/#answer2

There is more information in Chinese. I doubt it if you can read Chinese. If you can't, it is not easy for newbies to navigate independently in Shanghai.

The terminal is about 20 minutes walk to Bao Yang Lu Station of Subway #3. Or, you can walk south to Song Bin Lu and A20. See this for the subway #3 map:

http://www.51766.com/img/1001/1189758736765.jpg

Subway #3 will take you to Shanghai train station where you can transfer to other lines to other parts of downtown.

It is not easy to go from the Bund to the terminal. Ok. You can try. Take subway #1 from Remin Square to Tong He New Village. Exit #2 and take bus #719 (10 stops) to the terminal.

Take Bus #869 (6 stops), then #952 (2 stops) and finally #11 (4 stops).

Reverse the above. Buses will take you to the Bund.

After the reading thus far, do you still want to "out-smart" the locals? Take a cab. The distance is about 24 kilometers and the cost 72 yuan (day) to 94 yuan (night).

• 4 years later...
This thread has gotten a little off subject........my original question is in regard to Shanghai's brand new Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal for large cruise ships that opened just a month ago on April 27, 2010.

Can anybody who has been in the new terminal provide any information on the public transportation that is available at the new terminal; i.e., are there nearby subway and bus lines that will take you into the downtown area?

We'll be sailing out of this terminal in September. Does anyone know anything about transportation to there from Pudong Airport?

Peelboy got it right.

My wife and I have been to Wusongkou Cruise Terminal twice - on the Diamond Princess in May 2013 and Sapphire Princess in April 2014. It is way out of the way. You really do not want to take public transportation to get from the cruise terminal into Shanghai.

The City of Shanghai provides shuttles which will drop you off at Huangpu Park at the north end of the Bund, along the river - great drop off place. From there it is a 7-8 min walk to the subway. Oh yes, because the City of Shanghai

It is a long walk from the cruise terminal to the subway station 15-20 minutes? Then it is over 30 minutes to get to the Bund. If you must, take a taxi then take the subway 3. The only reason for taking this subway 3 is if you have to go to the train station or if the bus drivers are on strike:D.

• 11 months later...
Do you think they still offer this service and how could I find out?

I was just off RCI Mariner (March) and saw no free buses....Take a taxi...we easily and cheaply did to get to our Grand Central Hotel just off Nanjing Road and a few minutes walk to the Bund...this is where you want to be the middle of everything. This was our second time to Shanghai and we love the area our hotel was in.

What did the taxi to downtown Shanghai cost you when you took it in March? Is the taxi stand near where you get off the ship or do you have to walk a ways? I have read that sometimes the taxi drivers will try to rip you off so I just want to be prepared.