Advice please!!!--switch to discounted balcony?

We're booked on the Liberty of the Seas this August for our first ever cruise and we have 2 interior rooms booked for myself, DH, and 2 teenage DDs. I've been watching and watching for price drops on the rooms and so far, only a few increases.

Now, they are offering balcony rooms for $90 a person more than we paid for our interior. While I was hoping to save some money, rather than spend more, I can't help but think this may be the way to go.

First question--if balcony rooms have come down, can I expect that interior rooms will also come down?

Second--help me decide whether it's worth $360 to upgrade to balcony rooms. This cruise is already quite expensive for us, but I guess the extra money wouldn't necessarily break the bank any more than it's already broken!

Third--all balcony categories seem to be on sale. What are the differences between the different categories? From what I see, the D categories seem to be a little bigger, but they also seem to all be fore or aft, and I prefer midship due to motion sickness concerns.

The E categories show cabins midship (Deck 6) and some are connecting, which may be good for us (we have 2 nearby interiors, but not connecting).

So, help me please! I realize this special may only last a short time, so I'm thinking I will have to get ahold of my TA in the morning.

Should we stick with the interior rooms and hope for a price break, or go with the balcony rooms? And, which category do you recommend?

Any help for this newbie is much appreciated!!!

It depends on how a catagory is selling if the cruise line will apply any discount. There's no gaurantee that the inside cabins will drop in price.

A lot of people enjoy the balcony. Personally I alway book inside cabins as I'd rather spend the extra money on incidentals during the cruise.Aftreall the food and entertainment is still the same regardless of the type of cabin. But that's me.

Have you considered leaving your daughters in an inside cabin and you/DH in a balcony cabin , provided you can get an inside cabin closeby for your daughters? You won't be spending as much to upgrade and still experience a balcony cabin .

I would go for the balcony, but be aware that if it is a GTY balcony you will not get to choose the location, and you may end up far away from your teens. The cruise ship may not allow this (depending on their age, and if you booked an adult in each cabin).

Usually, if the price of a balcony has gone down, so has the price of your inside. I would call and check the rates. Exceptions to this could be if the ship is sold out of interior rooms but has lots of balcony cabins available, or if there is a special residency rate for one specific cabin category.

The difference between E and D category cabins is that the D category cabins have a full sized couch instead of a loveseat. They are a little bigger (25 sq. feet or so). The difference between the 1-2-or-3 is usually the location of the cabin, with D1 or E1 being in a better location and a D3 or E3.

Hope this helps!

We're booked on the Liberty of the Seas this August for our first ever cruise and we have 2 interior rooms booked for myself, DH, and 2 teenage DDs. I've been watching and watching for price drops on the rooms and so far, only a few increases.

Now, they are offering balcony rooms for $90 a person more than we paid for our interior. While I was hoping to save some money, rather than spend more, I can't help but think this may be the way to go.

First question--if balcony rooms have come down, can I expect that interior rooms will also come down?

Second--help me decide whether it's worth $360 to upgrade to balcony rooms. This cruise is already quite expensive for us, but I guess the extra money wouldn't necessarily break the bank any more than it's already broken!

Third--all balcony categories seem to be on sale. What are the differences between the different categories? From what I see, the D categories seem to be a little bigger, but they also seem to all be fore or aft, and I prefer midship due to motion sickness concerns.

The E categories show cabins midship (Deck 6) and some are connecting, which may be good for us (we have 2 nearby interiors, but not connecting).

So, help me please! I realize this special may only last a short time, so I'm thinking I will have to get ahold of my TA in the morning.

Should we stick with the interior rooms and hope for a price break, or go with the balcony rooms? And, which category do you recommend?

My advice to you is:

1. If you are okay with the extra money and

2. You are okay with the DD's having their own room, but not next to yours incase there are no connecting balconies available and they are of age that RCCL will be okay with you being a few rooms away

Book it. For the extra money, you'll have some more room and a nice view.

Now, looking at a site that can't be listed here, there are a pair of E1's on Deck 8 that are connecting, mid-ship right before the hump (8326/8328) available. I don't know what price difference that would be for you. Also, the E2's, which are less expensive, are 6286/88/90 are also available, however, not connecting but next to each other.

Enjoy your cruise either way. I know for $90/pp I would probably upgrade if it wasn't going to blow my budget.

It's not a GTy Balcony deal.

All E and D's on that sailing are $1099 per person.

If I was you I would book Category D1 connecting cabins 8382 and Cabin 8380 asap.

If you want midship take Category E1, cabins 8326 and 8328

E1's are about 20 square feet smaller then the D's, each category is the same width , just the D's are about 2 feet longer. Not a big deal, I would go for the D1 though, believe being mid ship or just behind the hump portion of the ship will not make that much difference as far as sea sickness goes..........if the ship is rocking, the ship is rocking all over.

people will upgrade fast when they see this deal, if you want to do it, I would do as soon as possible without delay.

Jimbo:)

I would take the balcony for myself and an interior for the DDs. My DD likes the interior because teens like to sleep in late and the interior cabins are dark.

Have you considered leaving your daughters in an inside cabin and you/DH in a balcony cabin , provided you can get an inside cabin closeby for your daughters? You won't be spending as much to upgrade and still experience a balcony cabin .

This is exactly what we do! We stay in the balcony cabin and put the kids in the interior. They are welcome to come and hang out on our balcony but they never do. They are way to busy to spend any time at all in their cabin or ours.

I'm convinced! Definitely want the balconies! Just trying to decide whether to go for aft or mid-ship (maybe mid-ship due to motion concerns).

Deck level recommendations? Deck 6, 7, 8, or 9?

Going for connecting cabins for our teen DDs.

Thanks!

I'm convinced! Definitely want the balconies! Just trying to decide whether to go for aft or mid-ship (maybe mid-ship due to motion concerns).

Thanks!

Good for you! I think this is a matter of personal preference. I like the highest deck possible but some have said that there is a greater liklihood of motion sickness on the higher decks. My vote would be mid ship on deck 9. I am sure you will get a variety of suggestions. You will be happy regardless!

We actually always aim for deck 10 forward. We just really like that location. I think we are in the minority here though!

Thanks!

I was about to reply and say "go for it" when I saw your post. Believe me, you will be so happy with a balcony! $90 pp is a steal to go from an interior to a balcony, in my opinion. That's just under $13 per day! WELL worth it.

Good luck and have fun!

We've sailed in both E and D categories and to be honest about it, preferred the E's. Yes, there is a bit more space in the D category, but it was length, not width. I would say it only makes a difference if there is a third person sharing the cabin to have the extra length.

If the space is wider, or the space includes more storage then it is very well worth the extra cost.

I'd book mid-ship over forward any time. The times we've cruised in a forward cabin were the roughest rides we've had.

Thanks!

My vote is something near the aft elevators probably no higher than 8. We were on deck 7 last year near the elevator and it was so easy go down the stairs to the promenade. I sometimes get motion sickness and I was fine here. The Liberty is beautiful, you will have a great time!

Thanks, everyone, for all of your help.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the fine print "for New Bookings only." And, I'm not interested in paying a penalty of $500/cabin.

So, I guess we're staying in our interiors. Oh, well. We'll still have a great time, though the balconies would've been nice.

I was just about to say it is only for new bookings. I was so excited when I saw this yesterday because I am also booked on this cruise. My TA gave me another $25 of ship credit and a bottle of wine for my room because she couldn't make this deal happen. I guess something is better then nothing!

Archived