Woman airlifted from Carnival Glory

Big Deal. Who cares anyway?

That's pretty harsh...

I hope the woman is ok. It must be a pretty serious illness if she was airlifted off the ship.

It could have been something as simple as appendicitis.

Ships don't have extensive surgical facilities on board. They simply give the patient antibiotics to fight the infection until they can get them off the ship.

Hope she is doing well.

(and lucky for her the Coast Guard was there...because they don't charge for these kinds of transports)

It could have been something as simple as appendicitis.

Ships don't have extensive surgical facilities on board. They simply give the patient antibiotics to fight the infection until they can get them off the ship.

Hope she is doing well.

(and lucky for her the Coast Guard was there...because they don't charge for these kinds of transports)

exactly...could have been something simple..or serious....happens everywhere...all the time. And yes, it is unfortunate for those involved.

I was on the ship and saw it happen. It was amazing to watch. Most passengers weren't even aware because it happened at 2:00 am. We had a passenger taken off by Coast Guard Cutter earlier in the day. Not a good day for the medical staff...

Hoping that both passengers make a speedy recovery.

Hope she is OK and thank GOD for the Coast Guard! We cruise all the time and this is my biggest fear, our daughter always travels with us and she has a lot of medical issues BUT she loves to cruise and it makes her smile, so we go and I pray that all goes off with out a hitch.

We were one Castaway Cay a year ago and a helicopter from Miami Children's Hospital air lifted a child out.......my heart was sad for the family.

Browe,

Agreed...I always chuckle when I read posts here at CC that say "I'm young and healthy and don't need travel insurance". I saw a young and healthy 28-year old airlifted off the ship after he suffered a compound leg fracture on a shorex.

Roz

Unfortunately this happens a lot while cruising. On our cruise last year they had to air lift two people off. One was a heart attack, and the other I think was a head injury, both are very scarey!! :eek:

Hope the woman is okay!

Big Deal. Who cares anyway?

If you have nothing nice to say....

Hoping all turns out okay. They just don't "medical evac" for a cold - had to be something they couldn't handle on the ship.

Your inhumanity is showing.

Feel free not to read the post or comment on it.

I think "inhumanity" is a very strong and unfair accusation

Let's get real here...many cruises you hear "bright star"...I have seen people airlifted off....things happen

it is really not a huge deal in terms of making a whole thread about it

I saw a fatal accident on 95 on the way to a cruise on Imagination..bummer way to start the cruise but things happen

while we are cruising other people go to hospital on land, get in car wrecks, and there are many other real tragedies out there...people who abuse or hurt kids, crimes etc

I find it rather hypocritical to "care" so much ONLY about cruisers and to make every thing into some sort of huge rubbernecking drama when it doesn't concern you or me really

people get sick, it could be appendix or a heart attack or whatever...also I seem to see a LOT of people who cruise with various "conditions" and who know they are sickly and they cruise

hope they have insurance

JMO >> it would be noteworthy to discuss a cruise where they didn't have some sort of emergency

I think "inhumanity" is a very strong and unfair accusation Your opinion and you are welcomed to that.....

Let's get real here...many cruises you hear "bright star"...I have seen people airlifted off....things happen Not everyone has seen a helicopter evac

it is really not a huge deal in terms of making a whole thread about it It might be to the poster if they have never had that experience

I saw a fatal accident on 95 on the way to a cruise on Imagination..bummer way to start the cruise but things happen other than you didn't post about it, which you just did, what's your point? Did you rubberneck it to see what you could see?

while we are cruising other people go to hospital on land, get in car wrecks, and there are many other real tragedies out there...people who abuse or hurt kids, crimes etc Yes, but we don't know about those events and we understand that's life, but those things do not happen in our vicinity where they have some form of impact on us.

I find it rather hypocritical to "care" so much ONLY about cruisers and to make every thing into some sort of huge rubbernecking drama when it doesn't concern you or me really I find it very assumputous on your part to think that cruisers only care about cruisers. Could this possibly be a refection?

people get sick, it could be appendix or a heart attack or whatever...also I seem to see a LOT of people who cruise with various "conditions" and who know they are sickly and they cruise True enough. But a helicopter evac could very well be a unique experience for a lot of cruisers. I have been on 14 cruises and NEVER seen a helio evac. As a former fire officer for 16 years, I have seen litterally dozens upon dozens of helio evacs from highways, parking lots, pastures, and almost every other location.............except a cruise ship. If these types of things are common place for you and you have grown adjusted and jaded to them, then let those of us who are facinated by flight and the uniqueness of the moment of the skills involved and touched by the sadness of knowing that if could be us and isn't and would like to wish the unfortunate soul well....have our moment.

hope they have insurance As well as I as I wish no misfortune in the form of huge medical liabilities on anyone.............including cruisers.

JMO >> it would be noteworthy to discuss a cruise where they didn't have some sort of emergency

Now, as you said in the beginning....Let's get real...Do you really want to hear about my 14 boring cruises that had no such type emergencies?

Well now there is a boring post about someone who was taken off a ship in an ambulance ...wow

while in port of course....

Do the math..with that many people there are bound to be some natural causes and/or injuries, or whatever....

the larger the ship, the more this happens

the more people decide to go on cruises when they are in very poor health or midst of treatments etc the more this will happen

and there is a certain amount of injury that will occur when people do things that they don't normally do...especially adventure sports

maybe we can make a thread for everytime someone gets a bruise on a ship

as for the fatal accident...no I didn't rubberneck....I was in traffic and saw the body bags

I made it to the port on time....should I have cancelled my cruise to mourn for people I don't know?? would you?

I stand by the fact that the "inhumanity" posts are overreacting

If you have nothing nice to say....

Hoping all turns out okay. They just don't "medical evac" for a cold - had to be something they couldn't handle on the ship.

You're right. We got to know the medical staff on the Valor, and the chief medical officer explained that they classify all incidents into 3 categories: a) ones that can be treated on the ship, b) ones that are serious enough that the patient needs to leave the cruise at the next available port, and c) life-threatening emergencies requiring immediate evacuation.

We had a teenage boy in our group who fell (literally! ha!) into category b, and was flown home from Grand Cayman about 36 hours after breaking his leg on the basketball court. My 20-something nephew accompanied him, and as a result we had a few open seats at our table for dinner after that. The medical staff joined us several evenings, and it was quite interesting to get to know them. They dressed to the nines for dinner in the main dining room, and really seemed to enjoy the opportunity!

You would if it were your butt swinging from the basket.

If my butt was swinging from the basket, what a bunch of internet yokels have to say is pretty much the least of my problems. And I would *HOPE* they wouldn't turn me into a spectacule or think they're entitled to information about my personal medical condition.

Seriously folks, I get the novelty aspect of this (hell, I drive the Garden State Parkway), but you're not entitled to know anything about the cause of the medivac. And I can't think of anything less human than your fellow cruisers turning your personal misery into a human sideshow for their own personal entertainment.

Though I do think those wishing her well and praising the CG are sweet.

Archived