Passports for children?

cmp137

Why scream at me? To update the picture they would have to rescan the page, disassemble and reassemble the book and would probably charge you out of the nose.

The cost is what it is. Pay it and quit fuming at me or leave the children at home.

I wasn't screaming at you, I was responding to you.

When I got my new passport, I got a completely NEW book....made from scratch so why would they have to rescan the page, disassemble and reassemble the book for a child? Just make a new one with the new picture.

You're the one who has certainly gotten his knickers in a knot simply because I tried to explain the inequity in the cost of a children's passport. You said it was still cheaper than an adult, which has nothing to do with the price of bananas, because it is by no means cheaper.

I'm not fuming at you, or at least I wasn't, and I was not even fuming at US Passport Service, but your inability to comprehend that I was simply pointing out that people are taken for a ride on children's passports is a bit irritating. Then to add a comment like, "leave the children at home" is more than a bit irritating and always seems to be the kind of thing people say when they want to end the conversation and can think of nothing else to say.

Plus, an adult would have a pp for 20 years at a cost of $175 while a child for 15 years ends up being $255 and then at 16 they need an adult pp.

Children with a valid child's passport do not have to get a new passport at age 16. My son was able to continue using his until it expired just at his 18th birthday.

The costs for a child's passport are no doubt higher because there is a fixed administrative cost associated. In other words, it takes just as much work to process and create a child's passport as an adult's. If you look at it from the perspective of 5 years being the minimum valid period, adults are actually getting a price break because their additional 5 years do not cost twice as much.

Sorta like a 2-year warranty usually costs less per year than a 1-year warranty....

Children with a valid child's passport do not have to get a new passport at age 16. My son was able to continue using his until it expired just at his 18th birthday.

Thank you, that's good to know.

The costs for a child's passport are no doubt higher because there is a fixed administrative cost associated. In other words, it takes just as much work to process and create a child's passport as an adult's. If you look at it from the perspective of 5 years being the minimum valid period, adults are actually getting a price break because their additional 5 years do not cost twice as much.

Sorta like a 2-year warranty usually costs less per year than a 1-year warranty....

Thank you, once again, for a tempered discussion and explanation.:)

My husband and I both have passports but our children do not (ages 17, 14,13, and 11). We will be cruising to Progreso and Cozumel from Galveston. Our TA said that they don't need passports to cruise, but that they would need them if we had to fly back home for some reason. Although it will cost us close to $400, we are willing to get passports for them. My question is if we do get the passports should we carry them on our shore excursions. On previous cruises I always kept my passport on the ship, so I am not sure what to do this time. It seems pointless to spend that much money on passports if they will just stay on the ship. Any advice? TIA

My 2 cents...

I would invest in the passports, other than cruising look at it this way: what if you want to take your children to Europe or some other place, future school trips, some schools do these intl trips. I honestly think its a good investment for your children, it can be done without any extra fees at a passport office or local post office. any questions travel.state.gov the state depts website. I invested in the card and passport.(needed to renew it) Passport fees are the same for everyone, children a little less. Also a tip if you go to CVS website they does passport photos 2.00 off coupon for the photos. (check with your local one to be sure)

Yes the initial cost of getting them all done is expensive but less hassle in the long run.

Alrana

Our kids are 5 and 3 and we just received their passports for an August sailing. It is a lot of money, but if something were to happen, we would kick ourselves for not having them. Better safe then sorry is my opinion.

I agree! We'll be getting them for our 18 & 10 yr olds for our cruise next June. I'm going to wait to get our 10 yr olds pp after he turns 11 in Dec. That way when it expires, he'll be 16 & then he can get an adult pp & be done for 10 yrs. :D

My motto...better safe than sorry. Its a peace of mind for me.

I wasn't screaming at you, I was responding to you.

When I got my new passport, I got a completely NEW book....made from scratch so why would they have to rescan the page, disassemble and reassemble the book for a child? Just make a new one with the new picture.

You're the one who has certainly gotten his knickers in a knot simply because I tried to explain the inequity in the cost of a children's passport. You said it was still cheaper than an adult, which has nothing to do with the price of bananas, because it is by no means cheaper.

I'm not fuming at you, or at least I wasn't, and I was not even fuming at US Passport Service, but your inability to comprehend that I was simply pointing out that people are taken for a ride on children's passports is a bit irritating. Then to add a comment like, "leave the children at home" is more than a bit irritating and always seems to be the kind of thing people say when they want to end the conversation and can think of nothing else to say.

Yawn!!!

I got passports for my kids and I carry them with me in ports.

I like the security of having them and having them with me.:)

To me it's worth the extra money and the extra effort to keep up with them.

I agree! We'll be getting them for our 18 & 10 yr olds for our cruise next June. I'm going to wait to get our 10 yr olds pp after he turns 11 in Dec. That way when it expires, he'll be 16 & then he can get an adult pp & be done for 10 yrs. :D

My motto...better safe than sorry. Its a peace of mind for me.

This is what we did, my kids were 16 & 11 when we got them their passports. Figured when my 11 year olds passport expired I could then get the 10 year one. My kids are now 20 & 15 and we've used them a number of times.

The way I look at it, if we decide we want to take a trip to Canada, Mexico or anywhere else by car, plane, or any other way besides cruise we are set. No messing around with it later on. I have a friend who had the opportunity to take her daughter to Germany last minute, she ended up paying dearly to have the passport for her daughter expedited. She then got passports for the rest of her kids as soon as she returned. You never know when an opportunity to go somewhere may come up and the passport IS needed.

ETA - and yes I am one that carries them with me in port. I hold onto all the passports and keep them close to my body, not in a loose bag. As a previous poster said, it gives ME peace of mind and that's all that counts. Everyone needs to do what works best for them when leaving the ship at the port.

Archived