SeaSick

Sue909

As an ex-sailor, what was recommended to me and what I also recommend is that when the ship gets underway, that you be out on deck where you are in the open air and can also see as well as feel the movement of the ship. When I was in the Navy, what got me seasick my first day out at sea, was that I was down below. Then when I felt a very slight movement, that's all it took. I was sick the rest of the day. That was the only time I have ever been sea sick.

My wife and I don't take any type of medications and we have yet to get sick since we started cruising. We stay on deck for a while after the ship gets underway. You might want to try that along with any meds you take.

We're out on deck on EVERY cruise as we get underway and I got sick on our very first cruise when we hit the gulf stream. Being out on deck when the ship gets underway has no effect on how you'll feel the next day if the seas get rough. That's probably the strangest advice I've ever seen.

Fortunately I have no side affects from Bonine. In fact, very few people do and the ones I know that do have had drowsiness or dry mouth. All medications have side affects, just not everyone gets them. Even "natural" remedies can have side affects. There are people allergic to ginger too.

I use the patches every time I cruise now, they work great for me and I have no side effects. It's easy b/c one is good for 3 days, you put the first one on 12 hours before you get on the ship and I usually wear the last one for 24 hours after I get off the ship. I tried Dramamine and bonine but both make me so sleepy. Believe me if you are prone to motion sickness, go ahead and take something b/c it's miserable-you can't just stop the motion. I also always try to book a room mid-ship as you feel the motion less there. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I just want to underscore that both Dramamine and Bonine are preventative.

Thus they must be taken "whether you need it or not."

Since they sometimes cause drowsiness, it is often most convenient

to take at bedtime.

Have a happy - no sickness - cruise!

We're out on deck on EVERY cruise as we get underway and I got sick on our very first cruise when we hit the gulf stream. Being out on deck when the ship gets underway has no effect on how you'll feel the next day if the seas get rough. That's probably the strangest advice I've ever seen.

I disagree. I believe that is sound advice. It may not prevent all cases of seasickness but it will help to, for lack of a better term, "equilize" your inner ear with what your body is feeling and your eyes are seeing. I am positive that my first case of seasickness was caused by exactly what oldvato described. I spent sail away indoors and didn't let my body adjust to being at sea.

I disagree. I believe that is sound advice. It may not prevent all cases of seasickness but it will help to, for lack of a better term, "equilize" your inner ear with what your body is feeling and your eyes are seeing. I am positive that my first case of seasickness was caused by exactly what oldvato described. I spent sail away indoors and didn't let my body adjust to being at sea.

As I posted earlier my DH is a US Navy Captain and has spent more time at sea in many different sea states including hurricanes than almost everyone we know and that advice made him laugh. Going outside when you feel ill can make you feel better, but just being outside when the ship gets underway in no way will make any difference when the seas change later. As I said, it definitely doesn't work for me and "equalizing" your inner ear isn't the issue. The issue is your eyes are seeing one thing and your body is feeling something else which affects your inner ear. Everyone has their motion that can and will make them ill. Some people just aren't as sensitive as others. If it really was as simple as you seem to think, then the cruiselines would require everyone be out side as the ship gets underway because a sick passenger doesn't bring in the revenue that a well one does now do they?

But, good luck with that and let me know how it works out for you on future cruises. LOL

Anything lime-scented works for me. Obviously, a lime wedge works best, but anything lime-scented (lotion, soap, etc) will work. Chirks me right up! On edit, peppermint is also good for helping keep nausea at bay. It's the best, but anything in the mint family will work too.

As I posted earlier my DH is a US Navy Captain and has spent more time at sea in many different sea states including hurricanes than almost everyone we know and that advice made him laugh. Going outside when you feel ill can make you feel better, but just being outside when the ship gets underway in no way will make any difference when the seas change later. As I said, it definitely doesn't work for me and "equalizing" your inner ear isn't the issue. The issue is your eyes are seeing one thing and your body is feeling something else which affects your inner ear. Everyone has their motion that can and will make them ill. Some people just aren't as sensitive as others. If it really was as simple as you seem to think, then the cruiselines would require everyone be out side as the ship gets underway because a sick passenger doesn't bring in the revenue that a well one does now do they?

But, good luck with that and let me know how it works out for you on future cruises. LOL

It has actually worked out quite well for me, thanks for asking. ;)

The issue is your eyes are seeing one thing and your body is feeling something else which affects your inner ear.

That's the point I was trying to make when I said "for lack of a better term, "equilize" ".

Going outside when you feel ill can make you feel better

Exactly. And being outside, on the open deck in the fresh air looking at the horizon can help prevent you from becoming ill in the first place.

I by no means feel that this advice will work for everyone in every case, nothing will. But I do feel that it is a great way to reduce the chances of getting seasick.

Happy sailing. :)

Gravol (ginger pills) work great and cause no sleepiness/sedation. They can be taken ahead of time, or at the time of motion sickness. (It is, of course, better to take it ahead of the seasickness!)

Gravol can be purchased at healthfood stores or online. This is a much better choice for children, IMO, as no sedation, no other side effects, and taste like gingersnap cookies. They are chewable, which is great for those with difficulties taking pills (especially if ones stomach is already upset).

Amy

Archived