SeaSick

Sue909

OK, any suggestions on what to use and what worked best for you? I was thinking of the wrist bands or patches or dramamine (sp?). I would rather have it with me than need it.

I have heard of friends being on a cruise and getting seasick and going to the infirmary and being given dramamine and them charing $20 per pill or something like that.

So, any suggestiong on what works and where to get them? I have 3 kids going (15, 13, 7).

Thanks!

Go to Walgreens, or any good drug store, and ask for the "over the counter" bottle of 100 meclizine tablets. They will cost you about $6 total, and if each of you take just one tablet per day, I'd bet you won't have any problem with sea sickness at all.

Have a GREAT cruise!

"SKY"

There are alot of things you can take. We always took Bonine which is a generic of Dramine. We also used the seabands which didn't do anything for me The trick I found with the medications is to start them the day before you cruise and take them daily while you are on the ship even if you think you don't need them. If you wait until you need them its too late. I beleive in prevention and not being sick a single minute of the cruise.

The free pills on the cruise only work for about 4 hours. What I get is chewable Bonine for 24 hours. We also have patches with us if things get REALLY bad.

The chewable 24 hour Bonine for bad patches works best for me because if my stomach already is starting to feel queasy, I dont want to fumble with opening a packet and swallow a pill with water. I like the roll of chewable. I dont take it until I feel queasy and it works for me.

The pharmacist at our CVS said the bands are all in your head, so I personally wouldnt get them. Bonine is my drug of choice. The patches last for 3 days so it would have to be a really long bad patch of waves to need them. Some people feel dry mouthed from them or worse, blurry vision, but they also provide relief for us.

Go to Walgreens, or any good drug store, and ask for the "over the counter" bottle of 100 meclizine tablets. They will cost you about $6 total, and if each of you take just one tablet per day, I'd bet you won't have any problem with sea sickness at all.

Have a GREAT cruise!

"SKY"

These are the 4 hour kind right?? Id rather take something that I dont have to keep taking, especially all night long.

We used ginger tablets starting 2 days before the cruise...NEVER took another once we got on the ship......the ship's movement was noticable but not bad at all!!!! Like flying or riding a bus.....Hopefully you will be fine! Just relax and enjoy your vacation....still having dreams about ours!!!!!

Also, I was thinking of taking Acidophilis for about 3 weeks before my cruise so that I have no stomach issues with water or anything else on the ship that would make me sick. I remember going to Dominican Republic years ago and my Doctor telling me to take those vitamins every day for a couple weeks leading up to my trip so I don't get sick on the trip. He said it is the good bacteria (like in yogurt) that helps with any bad bacteria that might bother you during the trip. It worked like a charm.

Cruises 1-4 I ALWAYS got very sick the night of the 2nd day and had to spend most of day 3 in the cabin. Usually rest of cruise was fine after that.

Spoke to Dr and Pharm and started taking non-drowsy Dramamine (over the counter). Per Dr's suggestion, I would start taking it 24 hrs before I left on the cruise. Meaning for a Sunday departure I'd take the 1st one on Saturday. And I take them every day even if I feel fine.

Now cruises 5-9 (or so, have lost exact track) never an issue. Not been sick once. Not felt bad even a little (well not from sea sick, maybe to much tequila, ha!). Even our November trip that got fairly rough as the hurricane was chasing us and a small boat excursion in rough waters I was perfect! And wanted more!

Check with your Dr and Pharm. I have experienced no side effects, no issues.

I went with a group a couple years ago - one of those going gets car sick VERY easily, so I was really worried about her. I got her some ginger capsules and Bonine - she started them a couple of days before the cruise. She did not get even the least bit queasy ( a couple of others did, but they didn't take the ginger/bonine ). We were on the Holiday, small ship, big movement.

I have had some serious bouts of seasickness on cruises, and I can attest to the fact that it's a miserable feeling that can destroy your enjoyment of your cruise. The prescription patches worked for a couple of cruises, but I started having serious side effects from them. After the last time I used the patches, I will never touch one of those again....Symptoms were severe and lasted for 2 WEEKS after returning from the cruise. Fortunately for most, the type of reaction I had to the patch is not that common....

I've tried every motion sickness prevention/remedy known to mankind, and I finally have the right combination that works for ME without side effects. This is not to say that it will work for YOU, but it seems to be a common remedy. I start taking one Bonine chewable at bed time 2 nights before the cruise and then every night of the cruise. As a back up plan, I take along a pack of ginger GUM, which is found in the motion sickness medicine section of some drug stores. The gum I use is made by SeaBand. If I start feeling a little queasy, I chew a piece of the ginger gum, and it instantly settles my stomach.

One more tip... I don't know if it's just me, but on my most recent cruises, I found that it was the Calif. or Spring Roll (sushi) that is always on the lunch menu the 1st sea day, that upsets my stomach. I thought it was seasickness, but now I believe it's the Spring Roll....which I love, but apparently it does not love me! LOL! If you aren't used to eating sushi, maybe you should avoid this one like I've learned to do. ;)

Bonine works for me (with ginger root sometimes) and if it's bad enough that I get sick anyway, laying down and sleeping for a couple of hours makes a HUGE difference. I feel instantly better lying down. I know some people don't think that works, but my DH is a US Navy Captain and not only were they told that by experienced sailors, he and others have used it with great success (when they weren't standing watch) if the seas were really bad. Because it has to be really bad pitching and rolling for him to even feel it. I always wake up feeling 100% better.

Some people never get seasick and others only get sick if it's really rough, but you won't know ahead of time. I can ride roller coasters and trains no problem, but the motion of the ocean can be a problem for me (certain types of seas). My DH doesn't get seasick unless it's REALLY bad, but he can't ride roller coasters, so never assume anything about seasickness based on land experiences.

I just googled the Meclizine pills to see exactly what they are. This is the information that I found:

PRESCRIBED FOR: Meclizine is used for the treatment of nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with motion sickness. Meclizine possibly is effective in the treatment of vertigo (balance disorder) caused by diseases of the body's balance (vestibular) system

SIDE EFFECTS: Meclizine can cause drowsiness. Other side effects include nausea, dry mouth, blurred vision, rash constipation, diarrhea and urinary retention (inability or difficulty urinating). Meclizine also has been associated with hypotension (low blood pressure) and heart palpitations.

So these pills treat Nausea and vomiting but one of the side effects of these pills include nausea?:confused: hmmm...I think I will pass and just start drinking the DOD's so I want notice the ship rocking ;)

There are a lot of opions about this, the main thing to remember is that everything works for some people and nothing works for everyone. I get very sea sick and use the sea bands. They work really well for me. I would suggest buying a few kinds before you go so if one doesn't work the other might.

As an ex-sailor, what was recommended to me and what I also recommend is that when the ship gets underway, that you be out on deck where you are in the open air and can also see as well as feel the movement of the ship. When I was in the Navy, what got me seasick my first day out at sea, was that I was down below. Then when I felt a very slight movement, that's all it took. I was sick the rest of the day. That was the only time I have ever been sea sick.

My wife and I don't take any type of medications and we have yet to get sick since we started cruising. We stay on deck for a while after the ship gets underway. You might want to try that along with any meds you take.

Green apples work for me.

I've been seasick once and queazy once due to "overindulgence" of those pretty blue margaritas they serve at the cocktail parties... :o ...anyway, both times I ate a green apple and was fine within a couple of hours.

I really try to avoid any medications whenever possible because they upset my stomach. I'd recommend it for kids too. Can't hurt to try and it's all natural.

Bonine works! I get very seasick. I used to use the patches. However, I read about Bonine on these boards and haven't used anything since. It does make me sleepy so I have to take a partial pill. It comes in children's Bonine, too. :)

The worst seasickness I've ever experienced was on our first cruise on a tender going to our excursion to Tulum. That was the roughest water I've ever experienced. I've since heard that many people get sick on that particular excursion. I felt better on land, but I couldn't eat the rest of the day. i didn't have Bonine then. (didn't read these boards then, either)

The best way to tell is to not take anything and go from there if you do get sea sick. If you have been on a boat on a lake when the waters are rough and didn't get sick, then all should be fine. My brother doesn't do well on a rough lake but on a cruise ship for a four day cruise he was fine. The size of the vessel matters and the cruise ships are pretty damn big!!!!

Bring the over the counter meds and take them if you need them, otherwise, why medicate if you don't need to be medicated.

As for ginger Mythbusters did a show on seasickness remedies and Adam pretty will tossed out the idea that ginger works, cuz he was green around the gills and was taking ginger......

Please note that meclazine (bonine) is a preventative, not a curative. I take one bonine every morning starting the day of the cruise, and I also take one ginger capsule, every a.m. and before dinner. For the most part, these work for me. If I feel a little queazy at any point in time, then i'll take a dramamine, and for major seasickness, I always travel with a prescription of compazine. Everyone reacts differently to different medications, and you will have to figure out which medication, or combination of meds will work best for you.

The best way to tell is to not take anything and go from there if you do get sea sick. If you have been on a boat on a lake when the waters are rough and didn't get sick, then all should be fine. My brother doesn't do well on a rough lake but on a cruise ship for a four day cruise he was fine. The size of the vessel matters and the cruise ships are pretty damn big!!!!

Bring the over the counter meds and take them if you need them, otherwise, why medicate if you don't need to be medicated.

As for ginger Mythbusters did a show on seasickness remedies and Adam pretty will tossed out the idea that ginger works, cuz he was green around the gills and was taking ginger......

Ginger was one of the few things that DID work. http://mythbustersresults.com/episode43

One thing that I found interesting about the Myth Busters episode is that thier "control" pill that they gave them, that Grant took and it 'worked' for him so they tried to say it was all in his head, well, they gave him Vit B12. Which helps nausea and stomache upset. So thier control was not really a control at all. That episode was very interesting and informative and what it showed me is that some things work for some people and some things don't.

Ginger pills work for me and I only take them if I start to feel sick. Keeping food in my stomach helps too. I make sure to have crackers with me. When we have been in rough seas my husband orders tea and toast for me as soon as I wake up. Once I get that bread in my stomach I'm usually good to go for the rest of the day.

Archived