Ensenada 8p - 11:59p

califgary

The Zaandam in 2010-11 on the 14 day Hawaii itinerary, stops in Ensenada for 4 hrs in the evening on the return - question: Can passengers get off the ship for a quick trip into Ensenda?

Any info appreciated - thanks

The Zaandam in 2010-11 on the 14 day Hawaii itinerary, stops in Ensenada for 4 hrs in the evening on the return - question: Can passengers get off the ship for a quick trip into Ensenda?

Any info appreciated - thanks

Yes, the stop in Ensenada is a mandatory one to satisfy the ancient Passenger Service Act. You can go into town plus HAL offers a shore excursion there. Lastly, there are a number of vendors set up inside the terminal building where pax can buy "stuff" if they do not want to go into Ensenada itself

On our Amsterdam Hawaii cruise we were scheduled to stop there for about 4 hours. We arrived late -- but the tours still went on and people were still able to get off the ship.

We were so late that some of the shops at the terminal had closed for the night.

We were there with a Carnival ship.

The ships do not always dock and allow passengers off. On our Hawaii cruise, the ship stopped in Encenada, but did not dock. No one left the ship, but Mexican officials may have come aboard briefly. We weren't there very long.

We arrived about four hours early on our way back from the islands on a Princess ship and we were all allowed off of the ship early after customs were cleared. This gave us a lot of time to wander the streets and see the area. There are a few "famous" bars that sell very good drinks, note that the main area of town moved a few years ago and is much nicer than it was 15-20 years ago. Go with the right attitude and you are sure to have a good time there.

Safety in the region has improved a notch since the kingpins in the drug cartels have been arrested or killed. That said, since you will be there at night stay in the main tourist areas and don't wander up back alleys. Stick with the crowds and you will be fine. The biggest concern is petty crime- pickpockets, etc.

yup not thrilled it will be at night but no extra cash no jewelry etc just a chance to get off ship and see ensenada - thanks again to all for the info. I know its only a couple blocks away from the ship and its a busy area.

Ensenada is famous for fish tacos and a funky bar called Hussong's - some great lobster dinners up the road north in Puerto Nuevo, but that may be too far to go in four hours. Worth trying to get a group to get a taxi for hire for the lobster excursion, only to be paid when he gets you back in time for the ship departure. Estero Beach Resort, about 6 miles south of Ensenada by taxi has fabulous sunsets, if the timing is right - lovely waterside bar and dining area in an enclosed resort.

I tend to be very open minded with regard to ports of call. I don't need a tourist trap. I don't need chain restaurants and bars like Margaritaville, or chain shops like Diamonds International. I am ok with 'developing' ports of call.

However Ensenada really didn't float my boat, excuse the pun.

I was appalled at how aggressively some of the children begged for money. Some of them banged on the windows of the port shuttle bus and tried to open the windows to get into the bus. And once on the 'free shuttle bus', we were told we had to pay $2 each on the way back. I would have given a gratuity anyway, but it was tacky to demand payment for this 'free' shuttle.

The town itself was uninspiring, there was an absence of any kind of authenticity, and the constant begging and hawking to buy overpriced trinkets became tiresome quickly.

There were no points of interest like cathedrals, museums, local artisans, or even interesting architecture.

The shops at the pier terminal were outrageously priced. I picked up one of those small travel size toothpastes which was $3, and contact lense solution was $25.

All in all I found Ensenada to be very disappointing.

If you like paying for overpriced drinks in the chain bars along with some of the spring-break style Carnival crowd that are in Ensenada on their 3 day booze cruises and determined to get completely wasted, you may find you enjoy it.

Again, I am NOT trying to be a snob here. FWIW I tend to prefer 'destinations in the raw'. I just didn't find anything of real authenticity or genuine local character in the town itself. I understand that there are some excursion that may offer some more interest - perhaps others can comment on those - I did not do one. Also, sounds like heading out to the beach may be a plan. These may all make it worth getting off the ship. I just don't recommend walking around the town itself.

We arrived about four hours early on our way back from the islands on a Princess ship and we were all allowed off of the ship early after customs were cleared. This gave us a lot of time to wander the streets and see the area. There are a few "famous" bars that sell very good drinks, note that the main area of town moved a few years ago and is much nicer than it was 15-20 years ago. Go with the right attitude and you are sure to have a good time there.

Gosh :eek: has it been so long ago they moved the town?:confused:

I guess so.

In the 60's I had my first, and best, oyster coctail there in a shack over the water. Great seafood in town.

Archived