Peterhof - mosquito advisory

We were at Peterhof (just outside St. Petersburg) just last week, and the gardens and fountains were spectacular. A must see!

But I just wanted to offer some advice, as I wish I had known it before:

Take some DEET or Deep Woods Off along with you!!!

The mosquitoes there rivaled the notorious "Alaskan state bird" in size and ferocity. They swarmed everywhere in the lower gardens and were rather distracting. A little mosquito repellent would have been so welcome.

There are little foil travel packets of Off wipes that you can get at sporting goods stores or Target, etc.; we take those with us when we visit the tropics, but did not think to bring them to Russia.

Hope this helps someone this summer ...

Jan

We were at Peterhof (just outside St. Petersburg) just last week, and the gardens and fountains were spectacular. A must see! Jan

THANKS, Jan, for the tip/warning! When there in early August 2008, we had no such problems. Maybe early in the season, before spraying, those bugs are more of a problem. Hopefully, they will solve it before the peak of the tourism season. Here are a couple of my pictures to help people appreciate how really, really spectacular are these gardens and fountains. It's a super wonderful and amazing place. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

One of the gold-covered towers of the Palace at the Peterhof:

1A-StP-PeterhofTowers.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Looking up from the Gulf of Finland along the water canal towards the Palace at the Peterhof:

A-StP-PeterhofWaterCanal.jpg

A carved stone statute in these gardens:

1A-Peterhof-StatueFount.jpg

Great pics, Terry! Looks like you had the same beautiful weather we had last week.

Peg, enjoy your trip there in July! Wish we were going back right now!

Ashland, Terry said they had no problems in August 2008, so hope it will be the same for you this year.

Joe, you're very welcome! Have a great trip!

Regards,

Jan

Archived