Will my phone work in Alaska? (T MOBILE)

zdkrempin

I called T Mobile this morning and they said we should have coverage in most ports. Anyone know for sure?

I don't know for sure, but I have checked the coverage map and it looks like there should be coverage in Alaska ports. We are going in September and I wanted to see if having the phone with me in port made sense.

I have Verizon' date=' but had coverage in all ports. But we did not have coverage on most areas while on the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Had intermittent coverage in Denali.[/quote']

Thanks for the info on Verizon. We have Verizon and will be in Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna and Anchorage and will be interested in seeing how much coverage we find. When we are in Vancouver, I believe that the rate is about $.70 per minute.

Have TMobile and no problem calling in Alsaka ports. Was sure to turn off phone while on the boat - was told it could be a $7.50 per minute charge.

Well, I don't think it's THAT bad - but it is like $2.50 a minute - which can still add up very quickly!:eek:

Now sometimes when you turn on your phones they may not say your provider (as a lot of the Lower 48 companies do not have phone service here) but you'll be getting coverage more than likely from AT&T at your rates.

My Mom has TMobile and when she turns her phone on here in Anchorage it says Cingular and I think that's what it said from all the ports too. She got charged her regular rate (no roaming).

Susan in Anchorage :)

Well, I don't think it's THAT bad - but it is like $2.50 a minute - which can still add up very quickly!:eek:

I've read that using your phone while on the boat will be different rates than using your phone while in port.

When on the boat, it sounds like you will have your carrier's charges, depending on your rate plan PLUS whatever extra charge will be billed to your carrier for using the ship's special connection.

AKSusan - is ATT the primary provider in AK? DH and I both have smartphones from ATT and want to double check. We don't want to incur any outrageous charges if we happen to use the internet on our phone during our stay. We are doing 6 days independent travel from ANC to Denali, then 7 day cruise. We have some neat nature, travel, and mapping apps loaded. It would be nice to be prepared with plan B in case we have no coverage/extreme rates.

Thanks!

I have Tmobile on my work phone and just got back from an Alaska cruise. We had coverage in every port with no problem. The only thing is that I couldnt check voicemail in some (it wasnt recognizing that it was me calling and wasnt sure how to enter it manually).

As for rates on the ship, T-mobile runs $4.99 a minute on HAL, NCL, and Princess. The specific list and data and text rates can be found at http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide

We have gone to Alaska the last two summers. There is AT&T coverage in all of the ports. You have to wait until the ship turns off thier phone system. When you turn your phone on it will tell you whether your have your service or the ships. The time DOES vary. One time in Juneau we were able to use our service as we approached, they had already turned off the ship's system. Another time in Kethikan, Debbie's phone beeped about an hour before we were to leave - they hadn't even started to take up the gangplank - and the ship's phone system was already turned on. We immediately turned off our phones!

AKSusan - is ATT the primary provider in AK? DH and I both have smartphones from ATT and want to double check. We don't want to incur any outrageous charges if we happen to use the internet on our phone during our stay. We are doing 6 days independent travel from ANC to Denali, then 7 day cruise. We have some neat nature, travel, and mapping apps loaded. It would be nice to be prepared with plan B in case we have no coverage/extreme rates.

Thanks!

Yes, it's the only national company that is here (what I mean by that is that they also do business in the Lower 48). Otherwise, we have local carriers such as MTA, ACS, Digitel and GCI.

Now, occasionally you may hit some dead spots (I know of a couple on the Kenai Peninsula) but you should have no problems hitting someone's cell tower. I've never been charged anything but my regular rates when I've traveled in Alaska but, I always make sure my cell phone is off while the ship is at sea.

From reading different posts through the years, I think that's when some people run into problems (especially with their Blackberry's and such) that they keep their phones on while the ship is underway and the data streams and such and they get hit with the charges through the ship's cell tower, which varies by cruise line.

Susan in Anchorage :)

We have gone to Alaska the last two summers. There is AT&T coverage in all of the ports. You have to wait until the ship turns off thier phone system. When you turn your phone on it will tell you whether your have your service or the ships. The time DOES vary. One time in Juneau we were able to use our service as we approached, they had already turned off the ship's system. Another time in Kethikan, Debbie's phone beeped about an hour before we were to leave - they hadn't even started to take up the gangplank - and the ship's phone system was already turned on. We immediately turned off our phones!
I am not as hip as the younger generation on this, how do you know when the ships system is on? My daughter will want to text on our northbound cruise and inland on our cruisetour if it's available, if there is a charge beyond our normal plan she knows the phone is off and in the safe like most cruise. HELP! BTW were with Verizon

BonVoyage

Dawna

I am not as hip as the younger generation on this, how do you know when the ships system is on? My daughter will want to text on our northbound cruise and inland on our cruisetour if it's available, if there is a charge beyond our normal plan she knows the phone is off and in the safe like most cruise. HELP! BTW were with Verizon

Your phone should show roaming and/or a network of celluar at sea. When you first switch to the ships network, if you have text, Verizon should send you a message with the rates.

Once you on shore, when you do have coverage, it should be regular verizon service.

For Verizon on the ship, text messages outgoing are 50 cents each while incoming messages are 5 cents each. Details are here http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Edited by InternetAgeTraveler

If I understand, I can turn on my cell phone and make or receive a "regular" cell call under my normal Verizon plan as long as my phone doesn't show roaming?

For example, if I'm on the ship in Seattle at 12:30 pm (sail away not until 4 pm), I shouldn't have a roaming signal? My daughter could call me on my cell phone from the airport when she arrives at 12:30 pm and I should be able to take the call without extra Princess charges?

And then call me again when she's through registration so I can meet her as she boards?

It is worth checking how to make sure 'roaming' is turned off on your phone before you travel.

Also learn how to select a specific carrier to prevent the ships system with its stronger signal making your phone switch from your preferred carrier.

Some phones may not offer carrier selection or may make it difficult to use, but I've yet to find a phone that didn't make roaming optional.

Your phone should show roaming and/or a network of celluar at sea. When you first switch to the ships network, if you have text, Verizon should send you a message with the rates.

Once you on shore, when you do have coverage, it should be regular verizon service.

For Verizon on the ship, text messages outgoing are 50 cents each while incoming messages are 5 cents each. Details are here http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

Thanks! Love your name, sure fits the question.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Anybody have any ideas about Sprint's coverage at our ports? ISP, Juneau, and Ketchikan? :confused:

We've used Sprint in the major Alaska ports (no experience with ISP). It is definitely roaming, which is included in our plan. (LOVED speaking with my Aunt, who lives in Ketchikan, as we sailed past her house.)

As many have mentioned, it is really important to turn off cell phones shortly after leaving port. We've never had a problem, however, within a couple miles of land.

If I understand, I can turn on my cell phone and make or receive a "regular" cell call under my normal Verizon plan as long as my phone doesn't show roaming?

For example, if I'm on the ship in Seattle at 12:30 pm (sail away not until 4 pm), I shouldn't have a roaming signal? My daughter could call me on my cell phone from the airport when she arrives at 12:30 pm and I should be able to take the call without extra Princess charges?

And then call me again when she's through registration so I can meet her as she boards?

yes, when sitting at the pier, you should have no issues using the phone, since you could just as easily be walking down the street next to it.

In fact, we did the Pearl a few weeks back and we had a normal Verizon signal all the way through Puget Sound (people who have boats, use their phones from their boats).

However, once you get away from 'civilization', you'll be on roaming (the ship cell tower) and charges will apply. And while it will work close to Alaska ports, it won't take long to switch off once you leave until you back.

Edited by InternetAgeTraveler

Just an FYI to the OP. As long as you have a "full service" phone you will probably be okay. However, I have a pay as you go with T-Mobile and had almost no coverage anywhere in Alaska. I know most people have the full service but just wanted you to know in case.