Jewish St Petersburg

Here's a link to a thread where I posted a lot of information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23967271&highlight=history+jews+russia#post23967271

Check it out and post again if you need more info.

Thanks! Sorry for the repeat. I hadn't noticed that you answered me in your thread!

Me again!

I just read your link. Interesting that I had contacted a lot of Russian tour groups and best guides was the one that looked the most interesting! Especially since she mentioned the exhibit in the Ethnographic museum and no one else seemed to know about it.

The person I am corresponding with is Kira. This is the itinerary that she sent to me. What do you think of it?

8.00- meeting at the ship

8.00-10.00 first drive around the city including visit to Synagogue

10.00-11.00 The Russian Museum of Ethnography. An exhibition "History and culture of the Jewish people on the territory of Russia"

11.00-13.00 Hermitage museum

13.00-15.30 drive to Peterhof. Matroyshka doll master class on the way

15.30-17.30 Walk around the famous park with fountains, visit to Monplesir or one of the another small palace

17.30-18.30 drive back to the city

I noticed that Catherine's palace is not on here. Is it a "must see?" Should we ask to include it at the risk of missing something else?

Did you do an evening program with best guides?

Thanks for your help!

Love Boat Dream

based on various recommendations including SBHDMH I booked with Best Guides for our St. Petersburg tour in July. I had contacted 8 different tour companies and chose Best Guide. I had specifically asked to include the synagogue and the ethnographic museum. several had tried to dissuade me from including the museum, one even went so far as to tell me the museum was closed. Another had scheduled the synagogue visit for Saturday. I think most of them prefer to stick to their standard tours.

from my research other than the synagogue and the jewish exhibit at the ethnographic museum there isn't a lot of jewish heritage in St. Petersburg for historical reasons. I had made inquiries about the Russian National Library because amongst their rare book collection is the famous Codex of St. Petersburg which is the oldest hebrew bible in book form. I ended up not including it in our tour because unless you are an accredited academic you can't see the original only a facsimile and second there is so much else to see and do in St. Petersburg we decided to spend the time elsewhere.

Masha of Best Guides has been a real pleasure to deal with.

Love Boat Dream

based on various recommendations including SBHDMH I booked with Best Guides for our St. Petersburg tour in July. I had contacted 8 different tour companies and chose Best Guide. I had specifically asked to include the synagogue and the ethnographic museum. several had tried to dissuade me from including the museum, one even went so far as to tell me the museum was closed. Another had scheduled the synagogue visit for Saturday. I think most of them prefer to stick to their standard tours.

from my research other than the synagogue and the jewish exhibit at the ethnographic museum there isn't a lot of jewish heritage in St. Petersburg for historical reasons. I had made inquiries about the Russian National Library because amongst their rare book collection is the famous Codex of St. Petersburg which is the oldest hebrew bible in book form. I ended up not including it in our tour because unless you are an accredited academic you can't see the original only a facsimile and second there is so much else to see and do in St. Petersburg we decided to spend the time elsewhere.

Masha of Best Guides has been a real pleasure to deal with.

Oh I am so, so glad to hear that others will be able to see this exhibition! I contacted more than a dozen firms last year and Masha was the only one who knew about it. Like you several others tried to talk us out of visiting this museum because it is not a standard spot. The curator of the exhibition gave us a personal tour and was just so pleased that foreign tourists had found it. He spoke no English so Masha interpreted. It was amusing at times when she had to translate certain things (the look on her face as she tried to explain "briss" was priceless...)My dh is an academic but he decided not to include this Codex. There is just so much to see in St Petersburg you cannot possibly see it all in a brief 1, 2, or 3 day visit. He will probably try to include it if we ever make a return trip though.

Which brings me to LoveBoatDream's question: Do you have only 1 day in St Petersburg? If so I don't see how you could possible see Peteroff and Catherine's Palace while still seeing the Choral Synagogue and History of Jews in Russia exhibition. You are not visiting any of the magnificent cathedrals with this itinerary. The interior of Spilled Blood left me speechless - I would try to fit it in if you can. We ended up not doing an evening activity - I really wanted to take my dd to either the ballet or the folk show (she LOVES any kind of live performance) but we decided the day would be just too long. We collapsed in our beds from exhaustion by about 9:30 that night. If you have only 1 day though I would absolutely try to fit in an evening activity if you can. The only other suggestion I would make would be to see if early admission to the Hermitage would be possible. There will be no crowsds at either the synagogue or the Ethnographic Museum but the Hermitage will be insane in the middle of the day.

I hope you enjoy the exhibit! Post again if you have more questions and especially after your trip so I know if you found it as interesting as we did.

We did a two day independent tour with SPB tours. We booked their predetermined package which includes all the major highlights of St Petersburg and usually isn't altered. But we are also of the Jewish faith and we asked if it were possible to have a tour of the Grand Choral Synagogue. Viktoria assured us she could include that in out itinerary, and we did. The Grand Choral Synagogue is a marvelous place. On our cruise, there were about 10 orthodox families from Argentina, and they had arranged a private tour of the synagogue. We got there as their tour was starting and they did not mind one bit if we joined them. Fascinating place. It was the only religious place to remain open during the Soviet regime, but across the street was a KGB building where they filmed everyone who entered the Synagogue. Take that for what it's worth.

Here are a few pix of the Grand Choral Synagogue

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe991.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe974.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe981.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe985.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster982.jpg

And, if you get hungry, there is a Kosher Deli right next door

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe990.jpg

The main Jewish synagogue in Helsinki is also a wonderful looking building, but we could not get in. We were there on a Saturday and wanted top go to services, but the guards would not even let us on the grounds.

The Synagogue in Copenhagen is a sort of barren building with very little markings. If you want pix of them, let me know.

Cheers

Len

Here are a few pix of the Grand Choral Synagogue

The main Jewish synagogue in Helsinki is also a wonderful looking building, but we could not get in. We were there on a Saturday and wanted top go to services, but the guards would not even let us on the grounds.

The Synagogue in Copenhagen is a sort of barren building with very little markings. If you want pix of them, let me know.

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the photos and the info. I didn't know there was a synagogue in Helsinki. We'll be sure to look for it.

Which brings me to LoveBoatDream's question: Do you have only 1 day in St Petersburg? If so I don't see how you could possible see Peteroff and Catherine's Palace while still seeing the Choral Synagogue and History of Jews in Russia exhibition. You are not visiting any of the magnificent cathedrals with this itinerary. The interior of Spilled Blood left me speechless - I would try to fit it in if you can. We ended up not doing an evening activity - I really wanted to take my dd to either the ballet or the folk show (she LOVES any kind of live performance) but we decided the day would be just too long. We collapsed in our beds from exhaustion by about 9:30 that night. If you have only 1 day though I would absolutely try to fit in an evening activity if you can. The only other suggestion I would make would be to see if early admission to the Hermitage would be possible. There will be no crowsds at either the synagogue or the Ethnographic Museum but the Hermitage will be insane in the middle of the day.

I hope you enjoy the exhibit! Post again if you have more questions and especially after your trip so I know if you found it as interesting as we did.

Yes, only one day in St Petersburg! 7 am until midnight.

I've reserved the ships ballet excursion, but we might do something with the private guide instead.

I realize that more people are going to try to find this information under this thread than in the one where it was originally posted so I copied and pasted the most important information:

Most if not all, the tour companies will offer something that they will call a "Jewish St Petersburg" tour. This may include only Choral Synagoue but could also add the Jewish cemetery, the Jewish charity center, etc. By adding these sites you may have to skip some of the major "must sees". As I said dh is an art professor so he needed to spend time at the Hermitage and Russian museum, cathedrals, Peterhof, etc in additiom to seeing the Jewish sites.

Masha found an amazing exhibition at the Ethnographic musuem on the History of Jews in Russia. I contacted more than a dozen guides and no one else knew about it. As I mentioned above some even eliminated it from our list of requested sites when we asked for quotes on tours that included it. They say that this is the first step to developing a full scale museum of Jewish history in St Petersburg. The Ethnographic museum was pretty amazing on its own - the costume exhibit was breath taking. This exhibition of Jewish history included objects both from daily life and religious objects. There were photos and videos from the pre WW II era which were fascinating to see. Here's the link to the exhibition http://eng.ethnomuseum.ru/section62/349/887/2282.htm

Here is also a link to information about the Jewish community in St Petersburg http://eng.jewishpetersburg.ru/ This includes information on a Jewish St Petersburg tour but I am not sure who conducts it.

I was able to link to all this information through Masha's site bestguides. (Look at "Off the Beaten Path" and click Jewish St Petersburg.) When we were starting to look we had difficulty finding someone who had a knowledge of Jewish history. We really appreciated that Masha did research and found these things for us. She has now established her own company and makes these tours available to others who are interested.

Hope this helps. Please post again if I can answer any specific questions.

Hi. I have a two day tour planned with a guide and it includes a trip to the Choral Synagogue(but no private tour of synagogue) The ethnography museum sounds good. We are Jewish and in fact my father in law was born in Russia. Is the exhibit big enough that it was worthwhile seeing? Oh but what do I give up to see the museum???

Cassandra

Hi. I have a two day tour planned with a guide and it includes a trip to the Choral Synagogue(but no private tour of synagogue) The ethnography museum sounds good. We are Jewish and in fact my father in law was born in Russia. Is the exhibit big enough that it was worthwhile seeing? Oh but what do I give up to see the museum???

Cassandra

Not sure if anyone but BestGuides will actually bring you there - as you can see from above many others have turned down the request. Maybe if more people start asking for it more tour companies will accomodate.

You don't have to spend a long time and there are no crowds. My dh is a professor and was there doing research so we had an extended tour with the curator of the exhibition. Otherwise I am sure you could be out in a half hour or so if you just want to see it and move on. You walk past the costume exhibit on the way to the Jewish history exhibit and I personally thought that alone was worth the stop. We basically gave up the interior of St Isaac's, Peter and Paul's Fortress and Yusapov's Palace for Choral Synagogue, the metro, a stop at a Russian supermarket and this exhibition. There is so much to see in St Petersburg that you just can't see it all and have to pick and choose based on your personal interests. If you have a family connection to the history of Jews in Russia it might be a meaningful stop.

Hi, we have booked a two day tour with Viktoria of SPB tours, and we said we wanted to visit the Choral Synagogue. She immediately included it in our tour. We are going in August with Cunard. Thanks for the information about the Helsinki Synagogue.

Not sure if anyone but BestGuides will actually bring you there - as you can see from above many others have turned down the request. Maybe if more people start asking for it more tour companies will accomodate.

While I have booked with Masha of Best Guides, to be fair several other tour companies were willing to include the museum after I asked for it. However, one very popular tour company responded originally by saying it was no longer open (not true). Interestingly very recently that same company contacted me about joining another group who were doing a "jewish heritage" tour which meant just the synagogue. When I responded that I wanted to include the museum they responded by saying they could do a private tour to include it (same company that said it was no longer open). I guess it just depends on how much they want your business.

I am very excited about seeing St. Petersburg and have been trying to learn a little bit of Russian.

While I have booked with Masha of Best Guides, to be fair several other tour companies were willing to include the museum after I asked for it. However, one very popular tour company responded originally by saying it was no longer open (not true). Interestingly very recently that same company contacted me about joining another group who were doing a "jewish heritage" tour which meant just the synagogue. When I responded that I wanted to include the museum they responded by saying they could do a private tour to include it (same company that said it was no longer open). I guess it just depends on how much they want your business.

I am very excited about seeing St. Petersburg and have been trying to learn a little bit of Russian.

This is very encouraging - I would hope that all companies offering private tours would make this exhibition available on request. Last year no one knew about the exhibition - hopefully as more people learn about it and ask for it more companies will indeed accomodate this request. I believe that Masha has arranged for folks at the Ethnographic Museum to provide tours for BestGuides (according to her website and our experience last summer.) If someone visits with another company be sure to find out if someone will be showing you around the exhibition - as I recall there were no signs in English so you will need someone to explain what you are looking at.

Thanks for the photos and the info. I didn't know there was a synagogue in Helsinki. We'll be sure to look for it.

As I said, the Synagogue in Helsinki is a very nice building> I don't know if they would let people in on days when there are no services. As Is aid, we were there on a Sat and my DW even wore a skirt, hoping we could attend Shabbatt services there, but, no luck.

Here are a few pix of this Synagogue

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1085.jpg( You can see the guards, by the gateway)

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1086.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1089.jpg

And, what do you know, another Kosher Deli

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1087.jpg

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...

Just came back from my cruise and I wanted to say that I had a fantastic experience with Best Guides. info@bestguides-spb.com. Our guide was Inna and our driver was Alexander. It was a private tour and we managed to do everything on our jam packed schedule. I highly recommend them!

The Jewish exhibit at the Museum of Ethography was well worth the visit! The synagogue was wonderful to see as well.

Our tablemates used Tour de Force and they were very unhappy!

Thank you for all the info. The photos are great. We will be using SPB tours and we have added the Great Choral Synagogue to our itinerary. Viktoria was very accomodating when we asked her to do that. We also will do the Jewish Heritage tour in Helsinki. Looking forward to getting to that ship in a little more then 3 weeks.

Darlene

As I said, the Synagogue in Helsinki is a very nice building> I don't know if they would let people in on days when there are no services. As Is aid, we were there on a Sat and my DW even wore a skirt, hoping we could attend Shabbatt services there, but, no luck.

Andre Zweig offer Jewish Helsinki tours which include entry to the synagogue. His website is http://www.jewishfinland.com/.

Andre Zweig offer Jewish Helsinki tours which include entry to the synagogue. His website is http://www.jewishfinland.com/.

Nice to know NOW.

We didn't do a tour, but just wanted to try and attend services since it was a Saturday. We weren't 'that' dissappointed, but we would have like to see the inside of the Synagogue.

Cheers

Len

Me again!

I just read your link. Interesting that I had contacted a lot of Russian tour groups and best guides was the one that looked the most interesting! Especially since she mentioned the exhibit in the Ethnographic museum and no one else seemed to know about it.

The person I am corresponding with is Kira. This is the itinerary that she sent to me. What do you think of it?

8.00- meeting at the ship

8.00-10.00 first drive around the city including visit to Synagogue

10.00-11.00 The Russian Museum of Ethnography. An exhibition "History and culture of the Jewish people on the territory of Russia"

11.00-13.00 Hermitage museum

13.00-15.30 drive to Peterhof. Matroyshka doll master class on the way

15.30-17.30 Walk around the famous park with fountains, visit to Monplesir or one of the another small palace

17.30-18.30 drive back to the city

I noticed that Catherine's palace is not on here. Is it a "must see?" Should we ask to include it at the risk of missing something else?

Did you do an evening program with best guides?

Thanks for your help!

going on my second trip there and Catherine Palace was the only thing on a lsot thati had not seen that wanted to see. the rest was all new to me.

Archived