ferry to Isle of Wight

From Southampton, where do we get the ferry to Isle of Wight? :confused:

Goes from Town Pier, a ten-minute walk from City cruise terminal or a 15 min walk from Ocean Terminal or a £5 taxi ride from any cruise terminal.

It may look closer to Ocean Terminal but no direct access - you have to go out of the dock gate.

Operated by Red Funnel, you can choose between

- traditional passenger/car ferry (journey time 1 hour) to East Cowes, which is linked to West Cowes by a free chain ferry across the River Medina

- or for foot-passengers only, a "RedJet" catamaran (journey time 23 mins) direct to West Cowes.

West Cowes is the yachtsmen's town, East Cowes itself has nothing to offer but is a short bus ride from Osborne House, designed by Prince Albert, & Queen Victoria's favourite summer retreat.

Buses from both East & West Cowes to all parts of the island run mainly via a hub at Newport. (Newport IoW, not Newport in South Wales :D)

For cruise ships / terminals

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

For dock map, same website, click on Port Maps on the header bar.

For Southampton- IoW ferries

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ferry-travel

For Isle of Wight buses

http://www.islandbuses.info/

John Bull

As a related aside, we were on the Isle of Wight ferry to Southampton on Friday afternoon and we were passed on port side by Oriana, Aurora, Arcadia and Independence of The Seas all embarking at 5.00 pm on their latest journeys. Got some great photos. Not often that you see 4 major cruise ships on the sea like this.

As a related aside, we were on the Isle of Wight ferry to Southampton on Friday afternoon and we were passed on port side by Oriana, Aurora, Arcadia and Independence of The Seas all embarking at 5.00 pm on their latest journeys. Got some great photos. Not often that you see 4 major cruise ships on the sea like this.

I'm guessing that the OP won't want to be watching such a sight from the ferry :eek:

JB :D :D :D :D

I remember getting a really great view of the QE2 from the Southampton-Hythe ferry once. If you're in luck you can get some great views.

Another option, depending on where you want to go on the Isle of Wight, are the ferries from Portsmouth and Lymington. Lymington's has its own train station; Southampton-Brockenhurst (trains all the time); then at Brockenhurst get on the train to Lymington Pier, which is the ferry terminal.

Thank you everyone for your help. I wasn't very clear with my question. We will be staying in Southampton at a hotel for 2 nights before getting on the Grand Princess. We thought we would spend one of the days in the Isle of Wight and take the ferry to get there. :rolleyes:

Just a couple of things,check web for any red funnel specials ie 2 for 1 also wightlink,if you intend to use the busses, ask about dayrover price as the bus fares are steep,but the service is good from E Cowes,there is a free chain link ferry that links both sides of Cowes,also if Cowes week it will be very very very busy :):):)

We were on the Isle of Wight last week. We got bus deal, 20 Pounds a

day for up to 7 people . Worth the trip just to see Osbourne house.

Took the bus all around the Island. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn

in Southamton , it is an easy walk (about 500 yards) to the Red Funnel

ferry terminal. We went off-peak and the fare was very inexpensive.

Enjoy:)

• 4 weeks later...
We will be there the end of September and will be staying at the Novatel. How far of a walk is it to catch the ferry? Is this on or off season?:rolleyes:

Novotel is between the central rail station & Harbour Parade, 3/4 of a mile from the ferry/jet-foil at Town Quay, about 15 - 20 min walk on level ground

The ferry/jet-foil fare structure is too detailed to quote, it can be seen here http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ferry-travel/red-jet-hi-speed-service/fares-and-offers/ but you need to read this in conjunction with the special offers page

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/ferry-travel/isle-of-wight-deals

Broadly, on one of these pages or the other, off-peak day-return travel is available to all passengers anytime at weekends and from 09.15 weekdays except special occasions such as Cowes Week (30 July - 7 Aug)

To the best of my knowledge, high/low season affects only the timetable, not the fares.

JB

We will be staying at the Marriott in Portsmouth for 2 nights pre-cruise. What are the logistics to the Isle of Wight? How long a ferry ride is it? Where do we get the ferry? Thank you for your help.

We will be staying at the Marriott in Portsmouth for 2 nights pre-cruise. What are the logistics to the Isle of Wight? How long a ferry ride is it? Where do we get the ferry? Thank you for your help.

From Portsmough itself there's a vehicle ferry goes to Fishbourne. I think it takes a bit under an hour but I'm not sure. The main problem with Fishbourne is that it's a bit out of the way - you've got to get a bus to Cowes, or Newport, and then make your way from there. There's also a fast cat ferry that goes to Ryde, which is quicker but probably more expensive. There's also the hovercraft from Southsea (just a couple of miles from Portsmouth town centre), which is quicker, also goes to Ryde, but is also a tad expensive.

Whedn we visited Portsmouth for a weekend a couple of years ago we made the historic dockyard in Portsmouth the focus of our visit. We walked in when it opened (9:30?) and staggered out at about 4 o'clock, and we hadn't seen everything. Well worth a visit.

From Southampton, where do we get the ferry to Isle of Wight? :confused:

2010POArt30503-vi.jpg

1/3 left you see the Town Quay where the ferries leave.

There is a free bus connecting the Town Quay with the City Center:

2010NCLEPIC41305-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

From Portsmough itself there's a vehicle ferry goes to Fishbourne. I think it takes a bit under an hour but I'm not sure. The main problem with Fishbourne is that it's a bit out of the way - you've got to get a bus to Cowes, or Newport, and then make your way from there. There's also a fast cat ferry that goes to Ryde, which is quicker but probably more expensive. There's also the hovercraft from Southsea (just a couple of miles from Portsmouth town centre), which is quicker, also goes to Ryde, but is also a tad expensive.

Whedn we visited Portsmouth for a weekend a couple of years ago we made the historic dockyard in Portsmouth the focus of our visit. We walked in when it opened (9:30?) and staggered out at about 4 o'clock, and we hadn't seen everything. Well worth a visit.

Thanks you. We are planning on the historic dockyard as we will have enough time since we arrive early in the day.

If your catching the fast cat from portsmouth to ryde pier head its worth looking on wightlinks web site for any special offers,also hovertravel do a return trip and bus ticket offer,we prefer the hover as its quicker and something diffrent,there is a bus that runs from the hard to hover terminal:):):)

If your catching the fast cat from portsmouth to ryde pier head its worth looking on wightlinks web site for any special offers,also hovertravel do a return trip and bus ticket offer,we prefer the hover as its quicker and something diffrent,there is a bus that runs from the hard to hover terminal:):):)

Agreed.

The fast-cat leaves from The Hard, right by Portsmouth Harbour rail station & the historic dockyard. The hovercraft from Southsea seafront.

Both go to Ryde, a smallish seaside resort, the fast cat to the pier, the hovercraft onto the beach. Hovercraft takes ten minutes, fast cat not much longer.

The car ferry is about a 10/15 minute walk from The Hard, through Gunwharf Quay. Crossing is about 35 mins, but as Tom's post it goes to Fishbourne, about 5 miles from Ryde & there's nothing where it docks.

I think we'd all agree that you should strike through the car ferry.

The Isle of Wight is an interesting diversion, but Portsmouth/Southsea has a lot to offer - you may find the Island a little sleepy & -dare I say- boring, by comparison.

This post re the Island from Portsmouth, not Southampton.

JB

Agreed.

The fast-cat leaves from The Hard, right by Portsmouth Harbour rail station & the historic dockyard. The hovercraft from Southsea seafront.

Both go to Ryde, a smallish seaside resort, the fast cat to the pier, the hovercraft onto the beach. Hovercraft takes ten minutes, fast cat not much longer.

The car ferry is about a 10/15 minute walk from The Hard, through Gunwharf Quay. Crossing is about 35 mins, but as Tom's post it goes to Fishbourne, about 5 miles from Ryde & there's nothing where it docks.

I think we'd all agree that you should strike through the car ferry.

The Isle of Wight is an interesting diversion, but Portsmouth/Southsea has a lot to offer - you may find the Island a little sleepy & -dare I say- boring, by comparison.

This post re the Island from Portsmouth, not Southampton.

JB

Thank you! I am thinking we will stick with Portsmouth. We were recommended to stay in Portsmouth pre-cruise because of all it has to offer. I think we will take advantage of that factor .

Archived