New Luggage anyone?

Marshall's has great lightweight luggage at really good prices. We recently picked up the High Sierra 26" which has rollerblade type wheels. (smaller/lighter)It also has straps so it can be worn as a backpack. Lots of room, and extra pockets. DD & SIL used on their honey moon and had more then enough room. Went back and got the 22" carry-on. Beautiful. Marshalls was cheaper then online.:cool:

My hubby travels for a living & is gone 2-3 weeks out of every month.

In his working career of 24 years' date=' he has bought only 2 sets of luggage & both of them have been from Lands End. Actually, he only bought the 1st set, then when the zipper broke on it...he returned it to them & they sent him a brand new one. In case you did now know, Land's End is the only company that has ( and holds up to) a 100% guarantee of return, with no questions asked & no time frames!!![/quote']

Not true. Briggs and Riley, Victorinox and Eagle Creek also make luggage that are guaranteed, even airline damage is covered.

I used to like Lands End products, a long time ago before Sears bought them out. Now their clothing is pretty much the same quality you would get at Target or JC Penney. Too bad. I don't have any of their luggage pieces, but years ago had a LE briefcase, the quality at that time was great.

I sell luggage part time, so I know a lot about the brands we sell. I don't know a whole lot about inexpensive, poorly made brands except for when I see them for sale in department and big box stores.

The airline (or cruise line) can do damage to just about any case, but a better made brand is going to protect your contents a whole lot better than a cheap brand. My clothes, shoes, etc... are worth $ and I want it protected.

Check out the Eagle Creek line of luggage. It is lightweight, durable and has a No Matter What - Lifetime Warranty on the Exploration System and HC2 Hovercraft lines.

We have the Eagle Creek tarmac which is part of the Exploration System series and just love it. Just bought our second 21 inch since we are doing carry on whenever possible.

In relation to luggage, there has been a lot of talk about e-bags, so I purchased some. They are nice and really do hold a lot and keeps things from being wrinkled.

I am embarrassed about our luggage, while its in good shape, nothing matches cause we would replace as we go along. Some day we will get a whole matching set, just not today! :D

Started with a 25 inch Eagle Creek. DH broke one of the interior zippers (something was caught and he yanked instead of 'clearing' the jam). We took it back and it was fixed no questions asked - mailed back to us no charge for shipping. We bought a 28 inch for overseas travel. I found a 21 incher a couple of months ago at TJMaxx - great price. It takes a bit of practice packing these softsided bags - but they are very light weight which helps with the airline restrictions. I like to keep things on hangers in drycleaning plastic bags. I bought EBags packing cubes to help keep small things organized.

Check out the 'insides'. I prefer the type without the 'shoe box'.

I love Eagle Creek bags. They are the best. We have 10 of them and have got most of our other family members to buy them because they are so nice.

I definitely recommend Eagle Creek bags.

I'm looking for a new under-seat carry-on. Spirit's new policy allows one US piece (free) which is 16x14x10. Those measurements are very hard to find but I'm still looking so I can take full advantage of the space in that 1 piece of luggage. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

A rolling tote would work well, or if you feel strong enough a soft sided case (not a suitcase...a tote) is doable.

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Victorinox+NXT+4%2E0+Wheeled+Eurotote&pf_id=PAOHIDIGHEOMOPEL&dept_id=12463

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Victorinox+NXT+4%2E0+Wheeled+Eurotote&pf_id=PAOHIDIGHEOMOPEL&dept_id=12463

http://www.coloradobaggage.com/cbc/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=Eagle+Creek+HC2+Hovercraft+Wheeled+Tote&pf_id=PAOHADEEMGAEFOHB&dept_id=3223

Those are just a few. The nice thing about a rolling tote is you can put your secondary piece on top of it (if you can have 2 pieces.

Not true. Briggs and Riley, Victorinox and Eagle Creek also make luggage that are guaranteed, even airline damage is covered.

I sell luggage part time, so I know a lot about the brands we sell. I don't know a whole lot about inexpensive, poorly made brands except for when I see them for sale in department and big box stores.

Glad to hear this. This thread is so timely. As we were loading our large check in luggage for our cruise a couple weeks ago, we found a hole on a corner. So now we're searching for a new piece. We want quality and don't want to replace it each trip.

We were looking at a Victorinox NXT 4.0. They are being discontinued and do offer the lifetime no worry warranty.

Thanx,

Erika

I used to like Lands End products, a long time ago before Sears bought them out. Now their clothing is pretty much the same quality you would get at Target or JC Penney. Too bad. I don't have any of their luggage pieces, but years ago had a LE briefcase, the quality at that time was great.

The airline (or cruise line) can do damage to just about any case, but a better made brand is going to protect your contents a whole lot better than a cheap brand. My clothes, shoes, etc... are worth $ and I want it protected.

I really like Eagle Creek products, in fact my luggage is Eagle Creek Velocity and DW has the older Eagle Creek Hovercraft (before the current HC2). While they both have a lifetime warranty only mine has the No Matter What warranty that includes damage caused by the airlines. The luggage like DW only covers materials and workmanship for life. After my last trip when I claimed my luggage the handle would not extend. I am not sure what the airlines did to it but Eagle Creek fixed it.

Keep in mind Eagle Creek requires you to return you luggage to them for repair. Some luggage stores will do this for you but if you don't have a luggage store near you and buy it online than save your box just in case.

Shak

• 4 weeks later...
Dorsey Helium

Inexpensive

ultralight so my GF can carry a couple extra pair of shoes

and well made so far 2 years and still working and looking good

at least 10 plane RT and 4 cruises

I have some Delsey Helium pieces that are not holding up well. The handle has popped a rivet and the fabric looks horrible after only a couple years, and the extendable handle doesn't extend anymore:(.

Beth

The luggage we purchased three years ago was Briggs & Reilly's Transend Collection which we absolutely love. The luggage has a lifetime guarantee and will be repaired/replaced for no charge no matter what/who caused the damage.

We each have the 21" expandable upright carry-on, a 29" expandable upright and a 29" rolling duffel that is checked. It is lightweight and we have never had a problem being overweight. It's an investment, but it was the guarantee that sold us.

Patti - We have the exact same bags and I couldn't agree more. We love Briggs & Riley and they are definitely worth the price.

My DH uses a Tumi 30" rolling duffle. I usually use my 22" kipling rolling duffle or 22' Tumi carry-on. I can pack a 10 day trip in either one of those. I used to sell luggage before they closed my store location and taught packing seminars. We also haven't bought luggage in over 10 years they work fine still. I never buy luggage for warrenty. I buy luggage so it can last a long time. And so it will hold up. Then again I think of luggage like buying a car.Luggage can last you a good 10-15 years or more that depends on fabric, brand and how much frequent you travel. But stay away from Target's selection of luggage its crap.

You know, one person can buy a cheapo piece of luggage that lasts for years and then someone else may buy a top of the line like Tumi and have it damaged the first time out.

I really think it can be pure luck, that Tumi case could have been built on a day the person was sick as a dog and not into doing great work. The cheapo piece of luggage may just be lucky and never subjected to the luggage gorillas like some pieces are. Or, people who have cheap luggage for years may just travel by car and not fly all that often.

I've seen it all come in for repair and am sometimes astonished at the damage that can be done the first time a piece is used, then the next day a person will bring in a 20 year old piece of Hartmann for its first zipper repair.

I truly believe that durable luggage is the way to go, if you value what you have packed into the case. I'm not talking electronics or jewelry, I mean your clothing and your shoes, they are valuable too.

If you happen to have a cheap piece of luggage, or Travelpro or Delsey or Samsonite or others that you bought years ago and are still going strong...hang onto them, they are just not made as well today as they once were.

Cheap luggage (to me) is not much better than packing into a cardboard box with fabric covering it. With a decent piece of luggage at least you have a better chance of your things not being destroyed. My final thought is that so many people believe airlines always destroy luggage because they always buy cheaply made luggage and don't know the difference.

I just purchased from HSN.............Joe Mangano luggage.

My Cruise isn't until next April so I have plenty of time to plan how to pack but this luggage actually has little drawers. I love it.

I purchased the same luggage, in fact 2 sets.. one in ocean blue for me and the other in expresso for my husband. This luggage comes with a garment bag that attaches inside the large suitcase and you just remove it and hang it in closet. Also has luggage covers to keep set clean and dust free when not using. Like you Gigi I will have to practice packing with all the extra drawers, pouches they give you. I love it too!

Nina

I have to agree with the others are getting spinner wheels. I travel a lot for work and that has saved my shoulder. It is so much easier to just push the bag rather than pull it behind. Plus it is great for the carry on with narrow plane aisles.

You know, one person can buy a cheapo piece of luggage that lasts for years and then someone else may buy a top of the line like Tumi and have it damaged the first time out.

I really think it can be pure luck, that Tumi case could have been built on a day the person was sick as a dog and not into doing great work. The cheapo piece of luggage may just be lucky and never subjected to the luggage gorillas like some pieces are. Or, people who have cheap luggage for years may just travel by car and not fly all that often.

I've seen it all come in for repair and am sometimes astonished at the damage that can be done the first time a piece is used, then the next day a person will bring in a 20 year old piece of Hartmann for its first zipper repair.

I truly believe that durable luggage is the way to go, if you value what you have packed into the case. I'm not talking electronics or jewelry, I mean your clothing and your shoes, they are valuable too.

If you happen to have a cheap piece of luggage, or Travelpro or Delsey or Samsonite or others that you bought years ago and are still going strong...hang onto them, they are just not made as well today as they once were.

Cheap luggage (to me) is not much better than packing into a cardboard box with fabric covering it. With a decent piece of luggage at least you have a better chance of your things not being destroyed. My final thought is that so many people believe airlines always destroy luggage because they always buy cheaply made luggage and don't know the difference.

my thoughts exactly

I bought my 21" Olympia roll-aboard at Ross about 12 years ago and paid $40 for it. I've always checked my bag, and there have been times when I've put a terrible strain on its 3" expandable zipper, no doubt ~ but after 80,000+ airmiles, it's still going strong. I love it!

Archived