Coco Cay - Is it worth it?

jhaasz

Ok, this statement may come back to haunt me in a couple of years when my oldest IS a teen -- however, when the vacation has been bought and paid for by you, then why do you need to compromise with your child?
For your own good, and theirs. In many ways raising a child is just a long process of transferring control of their lives from you to them, and doing it in such a way that they are capable and responsible at the end. And yes, this statement may come back to haunt you.

Another reason why I haven't regretted not having children! :D

I was in CocoCay just last week - it was great! The water was beautiful... and so warm. The food, the activities, it was a great day. You shouldn't miss it!

I would definitely NOT miss CocoCay!!!! It is such a beautiful beach, it was the most relaxing and enjoyable day of our cruise. I would choose a cruise itinerary just for this port. Have to agree with the other posters, I would never miss a beach day to lay around the pool, I can do that at home, lol!!! I would definitely go to both beaches, no matter what. :D

I love Coco Cay. I love to snorkel and my wife loves the beach. Last week the water was perfect, the snorkeling was great. You will see fish just swimming a short distance from the beach. It was my favorite stop on our cruise last week.

We are going to Coco Cay in 2 weeks on Freedom....someone mentioned fighting off the seagulls at the BBQ!! Is this true because I am terrified of seagulls? We went to Labadee 2 years ago and I don't remember seagulls being there?

Just curious about this...I still plan on going to Coco Cay by the way. Just maybe won't eat there!

We are going to Coco Cay in 2 weeks on Freedom....someone mentioned fighting off the seagulls at the BBQ!! Is this true because I am terrified of seagulls? We went to Labadee 2 years ago and I don't remember seagulls being there?

Just curious about this...I still plan on going to Coco Cay by the way. Just maybe won't eat there!

Don't leave your food unattended or sit at a table alone and you will be fine.

Coco Cay! It's the one thing I'm really going to miss on my cruise this December on Carnival. As others have said, you can leave her on the ship at either beach. But in a thread about worst cruise experiences on the Carnival board, I came across this post:

Orient Beach. 400ish lb naked hairy man laying spreadeagle on a lounge chair 10feet away. Longest toe nails I've ever seen.
:D

Another vote for Michelle here. Go to Cococay AND Orient beach. The teenager may actually learn how to compromise!
Sounds like the teenager had already learned the art of compromise before the cruise started, taking back what you had agreed to would be teaching them something else.

I looooveee Cococay! I went when I was 18 and had so much fun. My sister and I swam as far out as we could, and we could STILL see the sand on the bottom of the ocean below us. It's so clear, warm and calm! I wanted to make sure I was on a cruise going there again, but we planned this trip with friends and they wanted to go to different ports. Boo! (Boo especially because they ended up canceling). Oh well..I'm still going on a cruise..no complaints here!

Anyway, I would go. And speaking as a 22 years old, fresh out of the teenage years, make her go. You can lay by a pool any time, but you have only so many chances to be on a Caribbean beach. I think Cococay was my fave stop the entire trip..

I don’t understand the compromise – but that statement has been addressed. I have grown children and cannot recall them “compromising” as such with me. Whatever!

Granted, there is some gave and take in a family vacation, like shopping time vs. sightseeing time vs. lazy time. Perhaps a Caribbean cruise vacation that obviously involves beaches was not the best choice for a family vacation.

In any case, unless there is a reason that the child (age or capacity) cannot be left behind, I say do want you want and let her be.

Coco Cay and Orient Beach are both very nice and very different. If you have decided to go to Orient Beach I would do what I could to get off the ship, take the 10 minute ride to Coco Cay. If you do not like it, head back on the next tender. You’ve only given up 30 minutes. Besides, the tender ride is nice, and the view of the ship from the island is a perfect photo op.

If there has to just one beach day - I suggest Coco Cay over Orient Beach. No fees for getting to the beach, no charges for chairs or meals. All these are "free" or "included" at Coco Cay. You'll be paying extra for these at Orient Beach. Also - St. Marten offers many wonderful excursions.

I remain baffled,

M

I think that's completely mind boggling to go on a cruise and NOT get off at all ports. I guess if there was a port I didn't want to do, I wouldn't book that itinerary.

*shrugs*

Some people have been there many times and enjoy staying on the ship. to each his own

Wow, talk about a loaded question... :)

This really comes down to an opinion between Orient Beach and Coco Cay's beaches. I've been to Coco Cay twice (loved it) but not Orient Beach. My time in St. Maarten was spent doing a zipline tour, then shopping and a quick stop at some beach which didn't compare to the beauty of Coco Cay (and perhaps, by your comments, Orient Beach as well).

I think your family compromise is rooted in your daughter's desire to do more than just veg out at the beach. I'm kinda that way as well, which is why I'd vote to make Coco Cay the beach day. You can snorkle out to the sunken airplane (oh I forgot, you don't do that :D ), lay out in any of the water inlets, or take part in one of many physical beach activities (volleyball anyone?).

On the other hand, I suspect you're the one footing the bill for this vacation, so might I suggest you make the executive decision and just say that Orient Beach *will* be a destination? Perhaps you could suggest that you'll make Coco Cay an active excursion, veg out at Orient, and make your compromise on something else? Teenagers have a lot of "wants" so I'm sure there's something...even if it has nothing to do with the cruise (she gets to have *that* dress for the prom next year).

In any case, I'd recommend going onshore at Coco Cay. If the weather allows you to do so, you'll be glad you did. A Coco Cay experience isn't guaranteed.

I understand the 'compromise'...your daughter must be about FOURTEEN!!!

Jeez. That age. I survived mine after taking her on a tour excursion of the juvenile detention facility & sitting through a court session in front of the JDC judge. We learn to pick our battles, don't we?

My advice, having been there.... let your daughter know Orient is the Beach Day. THEN you give her the options for HER Cococay excursions or ship experience... There won't be much choice...you either stay on the ship with not much going on, or do the beach. Again. If you can convince her to go to the ship sponsored group events, they may have something planned for that day that will get her with a group of others her age, leaving you with a beach day & peace of mind.

Sometimes you just have to outsmart the teenager, get a little manipulative, make her think it's her idea. Just don't let it make you too crazy. You'll survive it. There IS light at the end of the tunnel...it gets better every year.

Sounds like the teenager had already learned the art of compromise before the cruise started, taking back what you had agreed to would be teaching them something else.

How so very true. Perhaps the OP could sit down and renegotiate a deal. Personally, if the one beach rule still applied, I'd vote for Coco Cay and just do some other activity in St. Maarten.

Cococay is soooo worth it. The trick is going on the nature trail to the beaches that aren't crowded. We plan to do RCCL again just because of Cococay.... even though we prefer Carnival ships/ food. In our opinion, it was one of the prettiest beaches we've ever been too... but take the nature trail otherwise stay on the ship. The beach everyone else is at is loud, crowded, and has a million seagulls pooping on everyone:eek:

Some people actually like being on the ship, especially on these private island, "port days". The ship is less crowded, spa services are discounted, and the food is better on the ship.

I understand ..but it still doesn't make sense to me. Just my opinion but the highlight of my cruising, is seeing the ports. *shrugs*

Mark K - loved your post and so true - I truly believe that my job as a parent is not to dictate but, being that she is 16, to start to transfer control of her life over to her and help her make the proper decisions (when it comes to the big ones, anyway). Many people don't realize she'll be living on her own, away at college in two years. And, having one that is living away at school, I have found that those who were on the tightest leash are some of the wildest kids at school.

Kat - loved your post also - she is actually 16 and is just not a "beach person" (she used to be and I miss that). I think she's "shy" when it comes to actually having to put on a swimsuit and sit at the beach - even the call of a Coco Loco couldn't persuade her. It's that age - I went through it with the older one, also (she just started wearing a swimsuit again this year and she's 20).

As for leaving her on the ship, I thought of that - and I am NOT comfortable with the idea of leaving a 16 year old on the ship by herself. It makes me nervous and it doesn't feel very responsible (on my part, as a parent).

And, everyone is right - it is a "family vacation" - so, everyone in the family should have the opportunity to do what they want to do - not "my way or the highway". This will be her 11th cruise and she loves them - making new friends and hanging out with them.

For those of you who responded with helpful information, I thank you and will honestly consider this port (it looks nicer than some of the other pictures I have seen). For those who gave your opinions (not necessarily nice ones) about child rearing, I didn't ask for your opinions on this subject - everyone has their own thoughts - respect mine as I respect yours.

Although a lot of what has been said here I agree with and is all well intended, this thread is a good example of a whole bunch of opinions on a question not asked by the OP. She would like pros and cons of both beaches to make her decision, not for parenting advice.

If I had to pick one, cost aside, I'd do Orient over Coco Cay. Easy to find a nice padded chair with wait staff bringing you food and drinks close to the beach and the water was crystal clear and Orient seemed to have more exciting people watching.

For the person with bird issues, I'd try to stay clear of the bbq lunch, it's a little unsettling even if you don't have bird issues. Even if you protect your food properly, they are circling and watching. Some are smart enough to attach your plate while walking back, to make you spill everything for them to eat. Eat a big breakfast before you get off and eat when you return to the ship and you'll be fine. And a Coco-Loco has enough calories to be considered a light lunch or at least tide you over.

We are a family (mid-40's with a child in her teens and my mom in her 60's) traveling on FOS. My question is, I have never been to Coco Cay and, can someone tell me, in all honesty, if it is worth getting off the ship? I have been to Labadee (to be honest, totally skippable) and to Princess' private island (lovely).

We don't plan on doing any excursions - just going to the beach. We don't snorkel or anything else - just sit in the sun and swim in the ocean.

The reason for my question? My daughter is willing to go to the beach only once (called a compromise) and I really want to go to Orient Beach in St. Maarten (we had a blast last time and the beach was gorgeous).

To be honest, I'm happy sitting at the pool (alone, for the most part while other passengers are on the island), but if the island is that beautiful, I would love to go.

Advice/opinions, please? Many thanks.

Yes! If you are lucky enough to have calm waters to be able to tender. :)

I agree, with most, I like Coco Cay, having been there many times, perhaps it is better than Labadee in some ways, like Labadee is sort of toooo commercial but some like it that way. The Cay has a nice biggggggg beach area for those who love beaches, but watch for the Portuguese man of war in the summer months, they will sting you and then you will put vinegar on it and smell like a salad for a while LOL. Nice nature trail, can be hot and strenuous for some, and where it ends make a little noise, to alert the possibly nudist who like it there. You can take a short tour on a buggy or open trailer, for lack of better words, of the island for just tips the last time I was there. Also if you do the nature trail, you can catch the buggy/trailer ride back if necessary.

Ok, this statement may come back to haunt me in a couple of years when my oldest IS a teen -- however, when the vacation has been bought and paid for by you, then why do you need to compromise with your child?

My daughter is willing to go to the beach only once (called a compromise)

If you want to go to the beach more than once and you paid for the beach, then you go to the beach. ;) I love CocoCay and can't wait to get back. The minute my kids start trying to play let's make a deal with our vacations is the second that I start making them pay for their own vacations. :p

Word to the Word McWord and then some lolol :).

Archived