Liquor purchased on the Ship

burtie

Just read the Cruise Critic review of the Zaandam (by Greg Straub) and it states that in the ships shops, "You can buy liquor by the bottle and take it to your cabin to consume onboard, unlike most ships where liquor purchased onboard is held until the last day".

Does anyone know if this statement is accurate?

Thanks,

Burtie

Just read the Cruise Critic review of the Zaandam (by Greg Straub) and it states that in the ships shops, "You can buy liquor by the bottle and take it to your cabin to consume onboard, unlike most ships where liquor purchased onboard is held until the last day".

It isn't to my knowledge. It used to be possible to purchase the duty-free liquor, then take it to your cabin, but that hasn't been true in years.

If you are taking a back-to-back cruise, and make the purchase during the first cruise, it will likely be delivered on the last night of that cruise, so be available in your cabin during the second cruise.

The alternative is to purchase liquor from room service, any bar, or in advance from ship services. That is permissible. The cost is more than from the duty-free shop, but still quite reasonable.

Thanks,

Burtie

There has been no policy change and there are no "test programs" across the fleet.

I can only think of one of two things. A purchase was made after departure from Victoria and it would make sense to take it back to the room since it would have been delivered at the same time anyway...

or, a cruise I took a while back had a deal one of the days where you buy two bottles of Sheridan (love the stuff :)) and you get a pint of Bailey's to take back to your room. I don't know if that's typically allowed or not (no, it has nothing to do with my employer ;)) but that's the only other thing I can think of.

It has been years since passengers could buy alcohol in the boutiques and take it back to their cabin (duty free prices).

But you can order alcohol for your cabin either through Ship Services (1-800-541-1576), online or through room service once on the ship. These are not duty free prices.

It has been years since passengers could buy alcohol in the boutiques and take it back to their cabin (duty free prices).

But you can order alcohol for your cabin either through Ship Services (1-800-541-1576), online or through room service once on the ship. These are not duty free prices.

Ok, I'll bite - I have looked on the HAL site for the selections and prices for this and am unable to locate them. Does anyone have a list of these items or a link to the information?

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I'll bite - I have looked on the HAL site for the selections and prices for this and am unable to locate them. Does anyone have a list of these items or a link to the information?

HAL site > For Booked Guests > OnBoard Gifts > (log in and choose recipients - yourself) > Beverages

Edit: see post #6 on this thread for prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1215451

We made our purchases of Duty Free Liquor in the morning before Victoria and were able to take it back to our cabin. I has been my experience that the last day of the cruise you can carry it out, buy before that and it is held for you until the last night.

You can buy a bottle of liquor at the bar for consumption (isn't that another word for tuberculosis) in your room. In my experience they charge the same price as if you had ordered from ship's services. If you prefer a cocktail in your room, rather than at a bar, it is convenient and a price performer!

Price list that you can either order from Ship Services (1-800-541-1576) or from room service when you get on the ship.

Note: 15% gratuity included:

Alcohol and Spirits -- the Alcohol bottles are 1 liter size.

VODKA: CHOPIN $70.15

VODKA: STOLICHNAYA $29.90

VODKA: ABSOLUT – CITRON $32.20

VODKA: SMIRNOFF $27.60

VODKA: SKYY $28.75

VODKA: ABSOLUT $32.20

VODKA: GREY GOOSE $69.00

VODKA: FINLANDIA $29.90

VODKA: BELVEDERE $70.15

VODKA: TANGUERAY STERLING $35.65

Kahlua $36.80

Vodka & Tonic Package $34.50

One bottle of Smirnoff or Stolichnaya, 3 Cans of Tonic Water

Bourbon & Coke Package $39.10

One bottle of Jim Beam, 3 Cans of Coke

Rum & Coke Package $39.10

One bottle of Bacardi, 3 cans of Coke

SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM no price found

SHERRY: TIO PEPE $57.50

TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD $34.50

COGNAC: HENNESSY VS $93.15

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN VSOP $97.75

COGNAC: REMY MARTIN XO $225.40

WHISKEY - IRISH: JAMESON $42.55

Cutty Sark $32.20

WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB $32.20

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. $29.90

WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL $42.55

WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 $29.90

Scotch & Soda Package $36.80

One bottle of Cutty Sark, 3 Cans of Soda Water

Gin & Tonic Package $36.80

One bottle Beefeaters Gin, 3 Cans of Tonic Water

6-pack Bud Light domestic beer no price found

6-pack Miller Lite domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Amstel Light imported beer $23.00

6-pack Corona imported beer $23.00

6-pack Miller Genuine Draft domestic beer $21.85

6-pack Heineken imported beers $23.00

Sherry Harvey's Med - $57.50

6pack (Domestic) Budweiser, Bud Light - $21.85

3 X soft drinks (any soda) - $4.89

All minibar Liquor Items, each - $5.69

Missed Whiskey/Scotch:

Jim Beam - $34.50

J&B Rare, Johnnie Walker Red - $36.80

Ballentine's - $40.25

Dewars - $48.30

Jack Daniels - $55.20

Chivas Regal (12yrs) - $66.70

Johnnie Walker Black - $77.05

GIN:

Beefeater - $32.20

Tanqueray - $41.40

Bombay Sapphire - $42.55

LIQUEURS:

Kahlua, Southern Comfort - $36.80

Bailey's Irish Cream - $46.00

Sambuca (Opal Nera Black) - $47.15

Tia Maria - $49.45

Amaretto - $51.75

Cointreau - $55.20

Drambuie - $58.65

Grand Marnier - $74.75

RUM:

Myers - $32.20

Bacardi Gold - $34.50

Bacardi White - $35.65

This may be a very silly request, but can someone speak to their experience about pricing when purchasing duty free onboard in Alaska compared to the Caribbean?? In other words, is duty free more expensive on Alaskan Cruises?

Cheryl :)

Prices are the same.

HAL buys through contrators -- not in each port.

We are on the Zuiderdam on July 10 cruising Alaska. Does anyone know if the wine cards are still available to purchase on board?
I don't know, but I'd suggest that if they're still available OnLine that you buy one there. Maybe someone who just got off will tell you that they're available on board, but it could change in a month.

We are on the Zuiderdam on July 10 cruising Alaska. Does anyone know if the wine cards are still available to purchase on board?

The wine cards are being phased out -- not certain if your ship will still have them when you get on. They are beong replaced by a new card.

If you see them still being sold on line -- buy one now. From what I understand they have to be honored.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure this will be up there in the "duh" category, but I'm going to ask anyway. Husband likes a couple of drinks in the evening when on vacation. Based on what I've read, the most cost effective way to manage the budget is to purchase a bottle from room service once we're onboard.

Having said that and here comes the "duh" part, can we take the bottle with us at the end of cruise or is there some customs issue? :o

We've never sailed before or dealt with customs out of Mexico.

Thanks for not laughing loud enough for me to hear you!!:D

although the rules state you cannot brink liquor on board, many passengers do by putting it in checked luggage and HAL doesn't check every bag for it like NCL. It's your choice, I usually bring it with me and have never had a problem in 15 cruises.

I'm sure this will be up there in the "duh" category, but I'm going to ask anyway. Husband likes a couple of drinks in the evening when on vacation. Based on what I've read, the most cost effective way to manage the budget is to purchase a bottle from room service once we're onboard.

Having said that and here comes the "duh" part, can we take the bottle with us at the end of cruise or is there some customs issue? :o

We've never sailed before or dealt with customs out of Mexico.

Thanks for not laughing loud enough for me to hear you!!:D

I have never heard of any rule that saids that you can't take an open bottle off the ship at the end of the cruise.

On both of my HAL cruises (the last of which was in Oct 2008) I was able to buy the assortments of 50mL bottles (usually 5 or 6 bottles of flavored Rum or Vodka) to take back to my cabin. These are the little ones like those in the minibar or on an airplane. They ranged in price between $10 to $15 at the time.

Archived