Anyone have airport hints?

pjs9876

We flew MIL and FIL to FLL last year first class from PA. The airlines provided carts/wheelchairs to get them on board and it went very smoothly. We rented a scooter for onboard. They can walk short distances.

In April we will cruise from FLL again. FIL is a person of size and plans to buy 2 seats for himself and 1 for his wife in Economy. Any comments from somone that has done this? Do I need to talk directly with the airline or can I use an online service? Also, will they take as good of care of them in Economy with regards to getting them to the plane.

What experience have you had with buying 2 seats for 1 person?

What airline are they flying on?

If they are flying on Delta, our experience with them helping people with impairments is very good. Will be finding out how Airtran is soon....

I haven't booked 2 seats for 1 person, so can't help you with that.

I've bought two seats for myself before and had to talk to someone (instead of buying online) to set it up because both seats had to be in my name and I couldn't see a way to do that online.

My experience with boarding is that I go to the person who actually lets us go onto the plane and tell them I need to pre-board so I won't be in anyone's way. I can walk onto the plane just fine, but I'm a very large person and would block the aisle. They always let my husband board with me.

You might also want to find out if the armrest will go up on the aisle seat of your parent's row because it's a LOT easier to get in and out of the seat if you can put the armrest up. The person with two seats will also probably need a seat belt extender. I always ask for one when I'm boarding the plane and the flight attendent brings it to my seat.

Thanks for the replies. We haven't booked yet, most of the major carriers fly to FLL so with a little shifting we could choose from several.

We recently flew American out to LA and United on the return. United had better seats but that could change based on the plane changing.

Don't all arm rests go upbetween seats? :eek: Maybe not the first seats in Economy but I was thinking the others would go up. Good idea on asking to preboard and the extender. They usually let those with extra needs take a little extra time.

Thanks for the replies. We haven't booked yet, most of the major carriers fly to FLL so with a little shifting we could choose from several.

We recently flew American out to LA and United on the return. United had better seats but that could change based on the plane changing.

Don't all arm rests go upbetween seats? :eek: Maybe not the first seats in Economy but I was thinking the others would go up. Good idea on asking to preboard and the extender. They usually let those with extra needs take a little extra time.

Definitely speak to an agent when booking the seats. Also have the agent put in the ticket records that wheelchair assistance is required for all legs of the flights both going and returning.

Class of service has nothing to do with how you're treated with wheelchair assistance. Everyone is treated equally. I've never had an issue with any airlines and I always fly economy. However you might have to wait a little longer for a barriatric wheelchair. Most of the airport wheelchairs are standard size. So please take that into account when determing you arrival time at the airport.

The bulk head seats and generally the emergency exit door seats all have stationary arms rests. Generally most aisle arm rests are stationary. However depending on the type of plane and carrier some of the aisle armrests will fold down, making it easier to slide into the seat. On American they're generally located on the right side (looking forward towards the cockpit.) You'll have to check with the agent when making the reservations.

If it's a 3 seat row and your planning on booking the aisle and middle as one seat. Unless you know who's sitting in the window seat, you might not want to preboard. As it will only be harder to have to get up to let the window passenger in the row.

Southwest does a great job for me with my disability. (Avascular Necrosis) Ask at the check in if you can have an early bordering pass (blue card). If they don't have any, ask at the gate check in for one and then they will board you before they board anyone else.

Southwest is a stickler about buying 2 seats if you are "fluffy". I have a friend that will only fly them, because even buying 2 seats, he pays less than other airlines!

Thanks to all of you. I will speak directly with the airlines once I have the routes worked out. Actually, once I get all the flight numbers,etc. then I will let my FIL make the booking. I think MIL will take the window seat so they can be settled before the other folks pore in. I keep notes and this info will be passed along. Thanks!

American, Delta and Alaska Airlines are all wonderful when it comes to disabilities. Why would they not be taken care of in Coach? It's just a curtained off section from first class. Unnecessarily expensive.

I purchased two seats on Southwest because I needed to put my fractured knee up on the seat next to me. They were great, but the only problem is, their airport computers do not jive with their website. When I arrived at the airport, I let the agent know I purchased two seats and needed the two boarding passes. Thank heaven I had the receipt because their computers did not show I had two seats. It took them nearly 30 minutes to figure it out, but finally it worked.

As stated above, if you're purchasing 2 seats for 1 person you *must* call the reservations # for the airline and book that way. Online doesn't work. Also make sure that they don't charge you a booking fee for booking on the phone vs online. Some airlines charge a fee (for NWA, it was $20/ticket) for booking via an agent on the phone. When we explained to them we *had* to book on the phone because of the 2nd seat, they waived that fee. So that's something to watch out for.

When you check in, make sure you get 2 boarding passes. For us, it'll show my name on one of them and "Xtra seat (last name)" on the other boarding pass.

once you know what airline you're using, look on their website at their airplane configurations. They will show you what aisle armrests move. For most, with the exception of the bulkhead, business class and exit rows, the aisle armrests move. However there are some, that only 1 side of the plane have moving ones. AND believe it or not, some planes even the inside armrests don't move...so it's always a good idea to doublecheck before booking your flights.

IN addition to having wheelchairs pre-arranged to be waiting at your gate when you arrive, if you don't need a wheelchair but need assistance due to all the walking, you can pre-arrange to have one of those shuttle golf cart thingies waiting for you to whisk you to your next gate or at least to the end of the Terminal.

Always ask for a seatbelt extender when you book your flight so they can make sure they have enough extenders on the flight. Usually they only have a small handful to use during the safety demonstrations. If your flight has an unusually high amount of larger passengers, the flight may be delayed while they track down more extenders. So it's a good idea to make sure they are aware you need one beforehand. I've never been on a flight where they've run out, but i have been on ones where they've only had enough for the safety demonstration and had to wait until the last possible second to get mine. Usually though, they give them to you right as you board.

Happy flying!

Seat Guru.com is another place for information about which seats are good/not good, which have armrests that do not fold up and so on. I never book an airplane seat without having done my research at Seat Guru.com. I have also gotten a better seat after I have booked by calling the airlines directly and mentioning why I need to be placed into one of the seats that they set aside (back surgery and degenerative arthritis in legs).

I am a para and have flown at least 75 times. They board me first and I have always had an aisle seat with a moveable arm so I can slide in. Once I'm in I can't move until they show up with an aisle chair when we arrive at our destination. My wife books the window seat hoping that the middle seat will remain empty. It usually doesn't. We just hoped that it was a flexible young man or lady that will not mind climbing over me and my wife takes the middle seat and gives them the window seat. Not every person is able to do this or doesn't want to so the attendant finds somebody willing to swap seats. Why am I telling you this? It finally dawned on me that I can slide 2 seats further and have a window seat and that eliminates the problem. I must have missed that class on common sense when I was in college. It may not be possible for everybody to slide that far. The other bonus is it eliminates my knee from sticking out in the aisle. No more large carryon bags banging my knees or shoulders and no more service carts banging up my knee. I would think that would work for the plus sized passenger with 2 seats.

• 2 weeks later...

If you need a seat belt extender when you fly, you can buy your own if you wish. There are four different types, one for major airlines, one for Southwest, one for Alaska and others, and one for corporate and private planes and helicopters. Just google seat belt extenders. It saves asking............. I'm just saying.......................... :)

Also something that we do is book aisles across from one another so we can get up, if necessary, to go to the restroom, without climbing over people.

Another specific tip, if you are connecting in Dallas, and you use any mobility aids, be sure and book a couple of hours between flights. If you have an airport wheelchair, or ride one of those carts, they will just take you to the elevator and dump you. You ride up or down the the elevator and then wait for another cart to take you to the next elevator. Last time through there, we had an hour between flights and just made it to the next one, after the plane was half boarded. Our NEXT flight through there, we have TWO hours!

I just wanted to share an experience with a seat belt extender. I am a larger sized lady and asked for the seat by the window for more leg room as well. To my surprise and perhaps a wee bit of embarassment, FAA regulations ( well that was what I was told - Alaska Airlines) that anyone using an extender on their belt cannot sit in those seats due to the lenght of strap that may hang down and be a tripping hazard. Needless to say it took some shuffling around of several passengers to re seat myself and my hubby. Not very nice that I lost all that extra leg room given that I am almost 6 feet tall ! but for comfort I need the extender .

You might want to take along your own cushion if you buy 2 seats for yourself or another person.

Why? Well, the gap between the seats with the armrest out of the way is not comfortable.

Be sure to verify how much carry on luggage you get for your 2 seats. Some airlines will tell you that you don't get extra carry on luggage. Know what you are buying.

Absolutely avoid American's new 737 airplanes as they have the smallest restrooms I have ever seen outside of a small boat. I'm not kidding. They are TINY.

I agree, that gap in between the seats is torture. While the armrest folds up, it doesn't fold up out of the way completely. so i've got a hard armrest and hinge digging in my back. I never thought about bringing a cushion to put there. Thanks for the good advice!

American, Delta and Alaska Airlines are all wonderful when it comes to disabilities. Why would they not be taken care of in Coach? It's just a curtained off section from first class. Unnecessarily expensive.

1st class has larger seats with more room around them. In checking fares it looks like 3 seats in coach are a lot cheaper than 2 in 1st class.

Great information here. I am just getting my ducks in a row and making plans. Thanks folks!

Archived