more questions about hiring a guide for Rome

poss

I've been reading a number of posts on the subject, but very few seem to apply to our circumstances. I.e. most people either seem to want a private tour, or they're already part of a group and so have a "ready-made" group. We're a couple in our 70's, used to do all our sight-seeing on our own, but have gotten a bit lazy and less sure of ourselves doing things this way. What we'd like is to join some sort of tour (with lots of walking) for a day (or two half days in Rome). I'm hoping that people can tell me how to do this, i.e. which of the so-many companies would be best given our needs. (I know that Romeinlimo gets raves on CC, but it wasn't clear to me that they had the kind of tours we're looking for.) Thanks! (cruise coming up soon)

Forgot to mention that we don't enjoy "jokey" kinds of tours. We're both academics and have always most appreciated straightforward information; don't need "lively" to be pleased and grateful.

I actually would like to know this as well. I don't need an air conditioned limo to ride around in, I just want a good walking tour of the sites and someone to give me a good recommendation for lunch. :)

I do not recommend many tours highly, but I have not taken any better tours in Rome than those offered by Context Rome. The tours are given in small groups (limited to 6-8 people in most cases) and geared toward those who are truly seeking information and not just "facts," if you understand what I mean.

Hopefully some of their scheduled tours will appeal to you; not all are offered every day.

http://www.contexttravel.com/city/Rome

Rome in Limo now offers group walking tours that you can join. They are more reasonably priced than a private tour which may appeal to you. Some are half days and some are full days. Check their website for more info. Good luck!

We used "Rudy in Rome" for Rome and he was great and very passionate about Roma. Very reasonable. We were in a small group.

For Livorno, used "Your Tour in Italy" and our driver Gian was AWESOME!! Very reasonable too. In a small group too.

Both guides were professional, very accommodating, humorous, and very informative. I would use their services again!!! OUTSTANDING!!!!

I wish we had more than a day in either city....esp Rome. I guess throwing coins into the Trevi Fountain confirms that I'll be returning to Rome again someday.... ;)

I have been to Rome a number of times and taken private tours. But I have to say last year we went by the Coliseum and decided at the last minute to join the tour group company that stays by the entrance. For $25 a person we did about 4 locations, all walking and had the most pleasant and informative guides. They are there every day and have numerous tour packages you can choose from and only take about 20 people per group.

Sorry I cannot remember their name, but I believe they all wore red vests, and they stay right near the entrance.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use one of those hop on hop off buses in Rome to see the sights when we're only there for about 10 hours from a cruise? I know there are private tours, just wondering what some of our other options could be. Thanks.

If you are mobility limited, they can be an option. However, I wouldn't recommend them for people who can walk. Rome is best seen on foot.

The HOHO buses can be crowded and at some of the sights, they cannot really get close enough for you to see them from the bus, due to pedestrian zones. This means you have to get off to see the sight, then wait for another bus (which can be a while)

The best company we used in Rome was Through Eternity (www.througheternity.com). Their tours are walking tours, and our guide Thomas had a Yale graduate degree in history. He was very well educated and informative, so I think their tours would satisfy your academic interests.

We used Through Eternity for 2 of our tours in 2008, and plan to use them again in 2011. We had a different guide for each of our tours and they were both excellent, and quite knowledgeable.

No mobility issues, but with only 10 hours there, plus the time it take to get from the port to the city of Rome, is there time to walk to all the different sights in Rome w/o any transportation? Are all the sights walkable from each other? I was under the impression they are quite far, so was thinking of using the hop on hop off bus to get from one point to another

No mobility issues, but with only 10 hours there, plus the time it take to get from the port to the city of Rome, is there time to walk to all the different sights in Rome w/o any transportation? Are all the sights walkable from each other? I was under the impression they are quite far, so was thinking of using the hop on hop off bus to get from one point to another

Really not a good plan, IF you plan to get on and off the bus to see the sights. You'll spend much more time waiting for buses than you might save by not walking. (And by the way, traffic in Rome can be pretty bad. I've passed HOHO buses -- and other traffic -- on foot many times.)

Most sites, with the possible exception of the Vatican, are reasonable walks for those who are relatively fit and used to walking. The Vatican is doable on foot as well, but you'll save some time by just hopping in a cab.

Do a little research on this forum and you'll find many people have laid out a day in Rome that sees (if not always in depth) the main sites. For example, you could start at the Colosseum and Forum (via train and metro), then walk to Trevi Fountain (about 20-25 minutes), then to the Pantheon (about 10-15 minutes), and then to Piazza Navona (5-10 minutes; great spot for lunch). Then take a cab to the Vatican -- allow more time ifyou want to do the Museum/Sistine chapel, less if you just want to look around St Peters basilica. Take the train from San Pietro back to the ship.

This is a bare outline; you can tinker with it any number of ways. As someone who's spent weeks in Rome, clearly there is more than one can see in a day!

Cynthia: Thanks so much for the info!! Yes, I would MUCH prefer to walk Rome than take a bus/car because I think it's so much better to do it on foot, you get to see more. I just wasn't sure if it's walkable since time is limited as we're on a cruise. I will do some research on this forum to get the best route/sights to see in Rome by foot. Thanks so much. If there are any other tips, I'd really appreciate it! Do you happen to know if Florence is also walkable to see most of the sights?

As a solo traveler (65) with limited mobiity issues, I can recommend KatieParla.com for an individually designed tour of what interests you in Rome. She is an art historian (Yale) abd a food and wine expert as well. Now, her tours are wonderful, but not inexpensive. But you might want to check out her website and contact her to discuss what kinds of options you would have. I am re turning to Rome in October just for her tours!

Archived