Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

have hunky dory hand out surgical gloves at the beginning of the line .. since trays are gone, that would give hunky dory his chance to "shine", collect tips at the end of the voyage and at the same time make everyone happy

and PG could be open for breakfast

and I'm not even a Hotel Manager:eek:

I knew if I waited long enough someone would finally solve this problem of "world peace"!:D:D

Where is this advertised..I have a few brochures from years past & can't find the Pinnacle grill breakfast for suite passengers, mentioned any place?

Cheers....:)Betty

This is really interesting particularly to me because when this thread got started I just took it on faith that the Pinnacle Grill breakfast was in fact listed as a perk for suite passengers.

So we went 9 pages before I decided to read the contract just to see if HAL had any sort of disclaimer in there about sometimes certain amenities couldn't be offered for one reason or another. Since I found nothing in the contract, I decided to see if it might be at the bottom of the page that lists the amenities for deluxe suite passengers. While on that page I glanced at the perks and saw no mention of breakfast in the PG.

After 9 pages of back and forth! I could not believe that we'd been running around this thing. Seems it was just something that HAL added as an extra nicety, but certainly not guaranteed in any way and not part of the cost of the suite.

Now you tell us it's not listed on any older documention either.

Since most of the upset has been the principle of the thing, that the suite passengers affected just felt they should get a heads up, then there is no further issue, right?

Yet I still haven't seen one poster who said that HAL was misrepresenting their product, or accused HAL of false advertising, step up and say that judgment was not a fair one.

just 1 question: how come PG isn't closed for lunch:confused:

maybe Noro doesn't do lunch .. only breakfasts:D

let's not even get to the issue of dinner

ok: lido doesn't have as many Pax as the MDR for dinner .. but the MDR doesn't need the same number of stewards for breakfast as it does for dinner

the answer to this entire problem is so easy

have hunky dory hand out surgical gloves at the beginning of the line .. since trays are gone, that would give hunky dory his chance to "shine", collect tips at the end of the voyage and at the same time make everyone happy

and PG could be open for breakfast

and I'm not even a Hotel Manager:eek:

Rumor has it the captains, hotel managers and environmental officers won over so many fans handing out prunes and Special K for breakfast in the Lido, they've been shifted to lunch and dinner there so the PG staff is back where they belong for petit dejeuner and dinner:cool:

Where is this advertised..I have a few brochures from years past & can't find the Pinnacle grill breakfast for suite passengers, mentioned any place?

It's no surprise, but the silence from those who were so very vocal before when criticizing HAL and saying they had been cheated out of what they had been promised is now absolutely deafening. Where has everyone gone? :confused:

This is really interesting particularly to me because when this thread got started I just took it on faith that the Pinnacle Grill breakfast was in fact listed as a perk for suite passengers.

So we went 9 pages before I decided to read the contract just to see if HAL had any sort of disclaimer in there about sometimes certain amenities couldn't be offered for one reason or another. Since I found nothing in the contract, I decided to see if it might be at the bottom of the page that lists the amenities for deluxe suite passengers. While on that page I glanced at the perks and saw no mention of breakfast in the PG.

After 9 pages of back and forth! I could not believe that we'd been running around this thing. Seems it was just something that HAL added as an extra nicety, but certainly not guaranteed in any way and not part of the cost of the suite.

Now you tell us it's not listed on any older documention either.

Since most of the upset has been the principle of the thing, that the suite passengers affected just felt they should get a heads up, then there is no further issue, right?

Yet I still haven't seen one poster who said that HAL was misrepresenting their product, or accused HAL of false advertising, step up and say that judgment was not a fair one.

It's funny that you should say that Heather...But it's par for the course..:rolleyes: When I've actually posted facts which I've looked up & confirmed, the person who made an errouneous statement, which is not based on fact, more often than not will not say that they were in error.. They just choose to ignore it & hope that I'll go away..LOL

Only reason I'n going thru these silly old brochures is that we're trying to sell our house & downsize..DH keeps telling me to get rid of this stuff & I'm sincerely trying to do that..Just came across the shore excursion booklet from our SA cruise in 2003...Guess it's time to throw this one out too,,,LOL

Cheers....Betty

It's no surprise, but the silence from those who were so very vocal before when criticizing HAL and saying they had been cheated out of what they had been promised is now absolutely deafening. Where has everyone gone? :confused:

You are so correct, it's no surprise!

Cheers.....:)Betty

Maybe because people don't like to bicker :P

Ok, so I have never been to the PG, but hope to one day. Here's my 2 cents anyway :P

So HAL offers and "exclusive breakfast to suite guests." If it isn't the PG, what would that be, gruel? :P (I know all the BK's are the same)

Princess has Sabatini's for suite breakfasts, I think it is obvious that the PG would be HAL's equivalent for suite guests (especially if it has been that way all along till now).

Hubby and I skipped our previously planned Alaskan cruise this year to save up for next year (life happens and we had to change plans). While I have to admit that a big part of picking HAL was the SC real estate, another big part were the amenities. I mean, if there are no perks that come with spending SO MUCH more on a suite, why bother booking one? A larger cabin is not reason enough, to me anyway.

Again, this is just an opinion, not written in stone, and coming from someone who has yet to experience "the suite life." (thank you in advance for being kind) :)

Ok, so I have never been to the PG, but hope to one day. Here's my 2 cents anyway :P

So HAL offers and "exclusive breakfast to suite guests." If it isn't the PG, what would that be, gruel? :P (I know all the BK's are the same)

Princess has Sabatini's for suite breakfasts, I think it is obvious that the PG would be HAL's equivalent for suite guests (especially if it has been that way all along till now).

Hubby and I skipped our previously planned Alaskan cruise this year to save up for next year (life happens and we had to change plans). While I have to admit that a big part of picking HAL was the SC real estate, another big part were the amenities. I mean, if there are no perks that come with spending SO MUCH more on a suite, why bother booking one? A larger cabin is not reason enough, to me anyway.

Again, this is just an opinion, not written in stone, and coming from someone who has yet to experience "the suite life." (thank you in advance for being kind) :)

You will enjoy your suite, believe me. The Neptune Lounge is great as are the concierges. Pinnacle Grill dinner or not for two days, the rest is very nice. And the huge balconies are a big plus. enjoy it and have a great cruise. The rest of the amenities are still there and we really like the free laundry.

Ty Jacqui/Jose :)

Oh, I don't think I'd be giving up that suite, even for a penthouse! I have searched high and low (for literally years) and haven't found a suite like it ANYPLACE. Also, to me, HAL's itineraries beat everyone elses, with longer times in port, and not only going to glacier bay, but Tracey Arm also. - And they don't try to pack people in like sardines! And the coffee, still real? :P And real oj, so I have heard. And, And, And, the list could go on and on :P (Oh, and the beds! Last cruise we went on, we couldn't barely sleep, I swear it was a wooden plank)

I really think though that the suite guests should still be able to breakfast in the PG, something just sounds fishy about using the excuse that they are needed in the Lido. This norovirus thing sounds rather bizarre, like why can't they get rid of it? It's Alaska, for Pete's sake, not the Amazon rainforest! I have been trying to do some research about the topic and all I have come up with thus far is "Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water." Could it be possible that it is in their water tanks? I would think not, because then everyone on board would come down with it. I work in a hospital, and we don't even see outbreaks of nosocomial infections that widespread. :s

It's funny that you should say that Heather...But it's par for the course..:rolleyes: When I've actually posted facts which I've looked up & confirmed, the person who made an errouneous statement, which is not based on fact, more often than not will not say that they were in error.. They just choose to ignore it & hope that I'll go away..LOL

Only reason I'n going thru these silly old brochures is that we're trying to sell our house & downsize..DH keeps telling me to get rid of this stuff & I'm sincerely trying to do that..Just came across the shore excursion booklet from our SA cruise in 2003...Guess it's time to throw this one out too,,,LOL

Cheers....Betty

I apologize, I don't know how to snip yet, but I will try to learn. Europe 2010 page 66, second last line regarding breakfast (sorry, I don't keep my old brochures either)

this thread started with someone asking a simple question and other people sharing the fact that it happened to them too. Some were more upset than others. silly to a lot of you, but as one poster said the whole reason they book a suite is for the PG breakfast. Each to their own.

I think most of the people on this thread are loyal HAL cruisers and were expressing a concern. I know some bashed but I suspect they didn't mean it to be as harsh as it sounded (i hope)don't tarnish us all with that same brush please. I imagine most are staying off the thread because they have gotten the answer that they were looking for (but maybe not the one they wanted)

Since it appears this is a permanent thing, there should be no more surprises, and had people known, there would be no unpleasant surprise. and they would be in a position to plan their cruise appropriately or choose an alternate stateroom.

To me, realizing that this is a permanent situation and what to expect, the mystery is done. Probably a lot of people feel the same way. Just guessing.

Ty Jacqui/Jose :)

Oh, I don't think I'd be giving up that suite, even for a penthouse! I have searched high and low (for literally years) and haven't found a suite like it ANYPLACE. Also, to me, HAL's itineraries beat everyone elses, with longer times in port, and not only going to glacier bay, but Tracey Arm also. - And they don't try to pack people in like sardines! And the coffee, still real? :P And real oj, so I have heard. And, And, And, the list could go on and on :P (Oh, and the beds! Last cruise we went on, we couldn't barely sleep, I swear it was a wooden plank)

I really think though that the suite guests should still be able to breakfast in the PG, something just sounds fishy about using the excuse that they are needed in the Lido. This norovirus thing sounds rather bizarre, like why can't they get rid of it? It's Alaska, for Pete's sake, not the Amazon rainforest! I have been trying to do some research about the topic and all I have come up with thus far is "Waterborne outbreaks of norovirus disease in community settings have often been caused by sewage contamination of wells and recreational water." Could it be possible that it is in their water tanks? I would think not, because then everyone on board would come down with it. I work in a hospital, and we don't even see outbreaks of nosocomial infections that widespread. :s

careful now, never say you'll turn down the penthouse. we were offered it last cruise (first time and probably the last) and we took it. It is incredible. If you think the suites are something...well.......... We had dinner served in the room at our table for 6 with 2 other couples course by course.

Yes, fresh squeezed orange juice. The coffee in the PG is excellent and the special coffees in the Neptune Lounge are great and yes, the coffee is real.

Everyone used our fridge (huge) to store their wine in. Of course the fridge was in the galley, need I say more? Never to turn down an offer until you've seen some of Joannie's pictures. It was unbelievable. Wish we could have had it for the transatlantic. But you will enjoy the suite, trust me.

I know you're going to love your suite and enjoy all the amenities. Who wouldn't? Even without the extra perks, I'd like a suite just for the suite itself. I'd rarely leave the cabin. The closes we've come to a suite was an SY on Westerdam in March and even that was absolute heaven.

As far as the breakfast, there wee a very few who really went over the line and I have to admit it really got me angry. Something being "obvious" to you certainly shouldn't become an accusation of false advertising or charging and not delivering, etc.

Some people went just too far.

.................... this thread started with someone asking a simple question and other people sharing the fact that it happened to them too. Some were more upset than others. silly to a lot of you, but as one poster said the whole reason they book a suite is for the PG breakfast. Each to their own.

I think most of the people on this thread are loyal HAL cruisers and were expressing a concern. I know some bashed but I suspect they didn't mean it to be as harsh as it sounded (i hope)don't tarnish us all with that same brush please. I imagine most are staying off the thread because they have gotten the answer that they were looking for (but maybe not the one they wanted)

Since it appears this is a permanent thing, there should be no more surprises, and had people known, there would be no unpleasant surprise. and they would be in a position to plan their cruise appropriately or choose an alternate stateroom.

To me, realizing that this is a permanent situation and what to expect, the mystery is done. Probably a lot of people feel the same way. Just guessing.

This is a wonderful post. I think part of the surprise for me was the bashing from very loyal HAL cruisers who have loved and supported HAL in every way for years and yet took them to task over this. The bashing stood out, not the posters who were mildly disappointed.

I know someone posted they book the suites for the Pinnacle breakfast alone and for no other reason. That's literally thousands of dollars for 7 breakfasts, only 2 of which they were going to have to give up. You have to expect a response to that. They can feel what they feel, but we live in a world where a lot of people are having trouble rubbing two pennies together.

I'm one of those posters who usually defends the posters who criticize HAL, not the other way around. They find it difficult here to say anything bad about HAL as a rule.

But it simply wasn't fair, in this instance, to bash HAL. And it irks some of us who simply long for a breakfast anywhere at all on a ship. It just didn't seem like the end of the world. So we react.

Thanks for your post ... it was really well said:)

Btw, no PG wait staff = No "exclusive daily breakfast service" anywhere else:eek:, i.e. in the Kings Room, lifeboat station number 8, the port-side bridge wing

Okidoki?

OMG, you mean no more breakfast in the "Exclusive" station 8????

3509031764_0e492f14da.jpg

LOL dutch! I was wondering about that statement about station 8!

BTW, I love various opinions about the cruises. Without them, I'd never learn anything at all :P

P.S. I think all statements made should come with the disclaimer "the written word is often more misinterpreted than the spoken one." That's why books are always so much better than the movie! :)

P.P.S. Kazu, you have me daydreaming again! Dang, you hit the upgrade jackpot! *dreaming of jacuzzi bubblebath on the deck* clothed, ofc, wouldn't want to scare away the wildlife :P

LOL dutch! I was wondering about that statement about station 8!

BTW, I love various opinions about the cruises. Without them, I'd never learn anything at all :P

P.S. I think all statements made should come with the disclaimer "the written word is often more misinterpreted than the spoken one." That's why books are always so much better than the movie! :)

P.P.S. Kazu, you have me daydreaming again! Dang, you hit the upgrade jackpot! *dreaming of jacuzzi bubblebath on the deck* clothed, ofc, wouldn't want to scare away the wildlife :P

yes we did, :)but mind you it wasn't free, but it was worth every single penny.:D DH took a picture of me in the jacuzzi to prove I was there! Hal must have had me pegged. My first upgrade (at cost) was to the Deluxe. Now DH is afraid I will be insisting on penthouse. I'm not that greedy thank heavens. grateful he will let me do the suite thing and he doesn't like to be crowded

....... I know someone posted they book the suites for the Pinnacle breakfast alone and for no other reason. That's literally thousands of dollars for 7 breakfasts, only 2 of which they were going to have to give up. You have to expect a response to that. They can feel what they feel, but we live in a world where a lot of people are having trouble rubbing two pennies together.....

I suppose you are making reference to my posts. We also have trouble rubbing two pennies together, which is why my main concern was NOT that they have suspended the Pinnacle breakfast for the first few days in order to curtail code red episodes (who could complain about keeping all passengers in the best health possible?), it was that we would have liked to know about the changes before we booked. A suite, and the associated cost, doesn't seem worth it to us without that perk.

I don't believe I have ever 'bashed' HAL, and I never suggested any 'false' advertising, but I do feel the information should be made available ahead of cabin selection, as opposed to "Surprise!"

Copper John explained the new system well, Kazu responded with my sentiments (copied below). I felt I had nothing more to contribute beyond that.

"thanks John. I get it. so then it does sound like this will be a permanent thing so yes, advance notice is all that's required and then life is good again."

Permanent thing, as in, forever? :(

Me thinks it is going to depend on the results of the new Lido precautions, i.e. a significant decrease in Noro-virus outbreaks on HAL ships. It's a matter of manpower allocation. Bet ya HAL would love to keep the PG open for breakfast (1st two days) for their suite & PH guests in order to satisfy their "exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only" perk. Soooooooo, if they can avoid using the PG staff by replacing them with "other staff", that PG breakfast coud very well return for those first two days;)

Nothing lasts forever, but it is a fair question to ask when something ceases to be "temporary" and has become "standard operating procedure."

We are sailing again in a suite and I think the best approach is to expect the closure for the 2 days. If it doesn't happen it will be a pleasant surprise.

I suppose you are making reference to my posts. We also have trouble rubbing two pennies together, which is why my main concern was NOT that they have suspended the Pinnacle breakfast for the first few days in order to curtail code red episodes (who could complain about keeping all passengers in the best health possible?), it was that we would have liked to know about the changes before we booked. A suite, and the associated cost, doesn't seem worth it to us without that perk.

I don't believe I have ever 'bashed' HAL, and I never suggested any 'false' advertising, but I do feel the information should be made available ahead of cabin selection, as opposed to "Surprise!"

Marsha, just to clarify. I didn't suggest that you bashed HAL. I said HAL was bashed here and I would rather not say specifically by whom. The term "false advertising" was also used. As I mentioned before, my posts are not directed at you specifically, but the tone of the thread as a whole.

I do understand your point. But you did suggest that HAL had promised the Pinnacle breakfast and you'd like to be told in advance that they could not deliver that perk for 2 mornings. As it turns out they never listed it as an amenity so the entire point becomes moot. Even before we knew that I argued on the side of HAL, but now there's just no feasible debate.

Looks like some people care about this amenity, so what I will do is post on DBA's thread (Dutch by Association) to see if he can get some answers or at least pass on concerns for us to HAL.

Pass this onto HAL.

If there's no Pinnacle everyday, this will be my last cruise.

For what I pay, Vegas will kneel down and bless me every day.

It's not the food. It's primarily the ambiance and starting my day quietly.

They need the Pinnacle staff in the Lido? The most number of wait people I think I ever saw in the Pinnacle was 5.

No it isn't what it used to be and that's where it ends for me.

At the end of the day it's my money and I get to say how I spend it.

Gramps

Archived