Scavi Tour Help

Little London

We are in Rome on July 7th and 8th, and wanting to do a Scavi Tour as I have read good reviews on CC. When I google Scavi Tour I get 'Viator',

is this Scavi Tours? or am I getting muddled up with something else:confused:. Many thanks, Jane.

We are in Rome on July 7th and 8th, and wanting to do a Scavi Tour as I have read good reviews on CC. When I google Scavi Tour I get 'Viator',

is this Scavi Tours? or am I getting muddled up with something else:confused:. Many thanks, Jane.

Viator is a reseller.

The Scavi Tour is scheduled directly with the Vatican. I would guess it is too late to book for the dates you want, but it can not hurt to try

Reservations

Reservations are only accepted in writing (by e-mail: scavi@fsp.va, by fax: (39-06) 6987-3017, or directly in the Excavations Office.)

With your request to visit the excavations, please provide the following information:

The exact number of visitors

Their names (in case of groups, the composition and provenance of the group is also needed [e.g. university, parish, etc.])

Language desired for the visit

The dates available during which the Office can arrange the visit (The precise time of the visit will be determined by the Excavations Office).

Contact information (an e-mail address, fax number, or full postal address) so that the Excavations Office may advise you about your visit.

When a visit is possible, the Office will send a proposed date and time. If the proposed date and time are acceptable, the visitors must so inform the Excavations Office, which will then definitively confirm the visit.

When a visit is not possible:

Given the limited number of group possible, not all requests can be answered positively.

On occasion, due to the vast number of requests received and the time needed to process them, it may not be possible for the Office to even respond to an application prior to one’s arrival in Rome. In such cases, the Excavation Office regrets that a visit will not be possible.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html

Does anyone know what the name Scavi means? Is that an Italian word for something?

It means "excavations".

Hence, you will see Pompeii Scavi, Ercolano (Herculaneum) Scavi, etc.

The Scavi tour at the Vatican is actually not properly named Scavi, here it refers to the Office of Excavations (l'Ufficio Scavi). The excavations beneath St Peters are more properly referred to as the "necropoli (a necropolis or burial place) sotto la Basilica vaticana (under the Vatican basilica)"

Maybe it's harder to get reservations in summer, but we got ours about a month out for April, so you might as well try. Do use the official Vatican site.

I enjoyed the tour a lot; my husband got kind of claustrophobic and hot though. We were unlucky enough to be behind an unusually slow group and had to stand around waiting in the narrow halls and tunnels.

• 1 month later...
I just heard about this tour from a friend. Two of us will be in Rome in May 2011. Can anyone tell me how much this tour costs and the length of it? Thanks, and happy cruising!:D

This thread should answer most all your questions about the Scavi tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854634&highlight=scavi

I just heard about this tour from a friend. Two of us will be in Rome in May 2011. Can anyone tell me how much this tour costs and the length of it? Thanks, and happy cruising!:D

I emailed the Vatican about a month ago and heard back a few days ago with our reservation for the Scavi tour for late April 2011. We got the time and date we requested for 4 of us. The list price of the tour is 10 Euros per person, but they actually charge you 12 Euros, I guess as a convenience fee. Once you receive the email back from the Vatican with your date and time, you have 30 days to get the billing info back to them. You can do it either by FAX or email. I was a little worried about emailing my credit card info to someone, but it went through fine and safely. Since they only take about 250 persons per day on the tour, and all are guided in your own language, it is important to request the tour as early as possible. Hope that helps. We are really looking forward to this tour.

We did this tour last November. As everyone else has said it is not to be missed. Very moving and reverent.

One thing not mentioned is that if you are on a cruise and planning to go from Civi make sure you mention this in your request so they can try and get you one of the late morning or early afternoon tours.

They assign a time and you either take it or leave it.

This tour it is like my grandaughter, Sophia, learned in pre-school..."You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Archived