Carnival Spirit - Victoria BC - Cancellation

Seems like Carnival has a pattern of cancelling the stop to Victoria BC - for various reasons... Too bad they don't eliminate it all together and allow for more time in Ketchikan. Not enough time for anything but an excursion and then back on the ship......

Any thoughts?

They can't eliminate Victoria as under the US protectionist Passenger Vessel Services Act a foreign flagged vessel can not carry passenger between US ports without a stop in a foreign port. When a ship can't stop in Victoria because of wind a tender is sent into Victoria and under those circumstances that satisfies the requirement of the act.

Seems like Carnival has a pattern of cancelling the stop to Victoria BC - for various reasons... Too bad they don't eliminate it all together and allow for more time in Ketchikan. Not enough time for anything but an excursion and then back on the ship......

Any thoughts?

I disagree, Victoria is a beautiful place to visit, if even for only 6hrs. We are from Vancouver and even got off the ship to enjoy the beautiful scenery even though we have been there many times before. As nice and Ketchikan is, i think the short stop was just enough time there, maybe could use another hour or 2 that's about it IMO.

AS PD said it's a USA rule that makes the ships (or some of them on certain routes) come to Canada and Victoria fits that roll on your cruise so.......

Come on by bring your money and enjoy a beautiful city :D

Or take a return cruise out of Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in agreement with the OP. Would much rather spend more time in an Alaskan port then stop in Victoria. Afterall, I don't cruise Alaska to see Victoria. Once was enough and a short stop from 7pm to midnight is not something that I look forward to....

With all the nice excursion/adventure trips available in Ketchikan! I always wish I had more time there :(

I'm in agreement with the OP. Would much rather spend more time in an Alaskan port then stop in Victoria. Afterall, I don't cruise Alaska to see Victoria. Once was enough and a short stop from 7pm to midnight is not something that I look forward to.... /

You seem to be missing the point, this stop is mandated by an outdated and protectionist bit of legislation of the US government entitled the Passenger Vessels Service Act. To eliminate the stop it would require your government to amend the act. A few years ago there was an effort made to amend it for NCL in Hawaii all to no avail...but you could make your views known to your congressman...and good luck.

I'm in agreement with the OP. Would much rather spend more time in an Alaskan port then stop in Victoria. Afterall, I don't cruise Alaska to see Victoria. Once was enough and a short stop from 7pm to midnight is not something that I look forward to....

With all the nice excursion/adventure trips available in Ketchikan! I always wish I had more time there :(

It's a tradeoff with legislation. If the United States allowed foreign companies, under foreign employment laws to operate domestic routes for shipping, the US domestic shipping business would pretty much die overnight.

Hence the requirement for a foreign port stop on your Alaska cruise.

Of course the other option is to hire a completely US crew and flag the ship under a USA flag such as Pride of America does in Hawaii, but when Victoria is there, so convenient and an excellent tourist stop, why would they?

Too bad they don't eliminate it all together and allow for more time in Ketchikan.

Afterall, I don't cruise Alaska to see Victoria. Once was enough and a short stop from 7pm to midnight is not something that I look forward to....

The Passenger Vessel Services Act information aside, I can understand why someone would be hesitant to return to a port with such undesirable hours. Victoria is incredible and it's a shame that itineraries just sort of "throw" Victoria in at these late hours, just to satisfy the Act. Understandable, but from a local's point of view, regrettable that you and others have this impression of such an amazing city. :(

EDITED to add: Of course, there is always the choice of an itinerary which leaves from and returns to Vancouver - all Alaskan ports and no foreign ports to satisfy the Act.

I can understand why someone would be hesitant to return to a port with such undesirable hours. Victoria is incredible and it's a shame that itineraries just sort of "throw" Victoria in at these late hours, just to satisfy the Act. Understandable, but from a local's point of view, regrettable that you and others have this impression of such an amazing city. :(

That is exactly what I was trying to say! You have a beautiful city but with the current schedule it makes no sense to just "throw" it in as you say..... It would be the same with any port in the world - not just Victoria. I don't think cruise passengers have a negative attitude of your city. Most I have talked to would love to spend more time there :)

Also, I have done the R/T Vancouver and one way trips from Vancouver and Whittier, AK (which don't require a stop in a foreign port). It seems Vancouver to Seattle would work the same :(

Archived