Advice: Change from Porthole Upper Deck to OV Riviera?

ohyes

Having seen other threads where folks advise, I am hoping people will help us, too!

This is only our second cruise in 5 years (Elation in July) and it is certainly taking me a while to learn cabin categories. Five years ago we were in an OV on the Riviera Deck (Sensation out of NOLA). This time we have two Portholes on the Upper Deck (two adult children in room next to us).

We can get "upgraded" (?) to an OV on Riviera Deck because of price drop. Should we?

DH says yes, send in ES Price Protection Form and get those cabins changed to OV. I am conflicted. OV might be nicer than Porthole, but i was happy to be on Upper Deck. Nothing wrong with Riviera Deck, but I was/am thinking Upper Deck would be a nice change.

Please advise. I promised husband to report back tonight with your advice and then we would make an educated decision.

In your opinion, which cabin is a better deal?

Much obliged!

Can you get the price drop, or is it this or nothing?? We did a PT on Empress and enjoyed the location on a higher deck. We have also opted to forgo lower decks with a window in favor of higher decks mid deck interiors though...we prefer location over the window.

Also on a Fantasy class ship, do be aware the inside and OV will be exactly the same size, just one has two port holes, one has a full window. both 185 s.f.

IMO, my inclination is to say stay with Upper because it's close to the action. However, with the OV you may be towards the middle of the ship and feel less movement. Do you have any idea which room you'd be in if you were to go with the OV?

We love PT cabins, we have been in 2 and have 2 more booked. It is the best of both worlds, you can get light in your cabin if you like or close the covers if you want pitch black in the daylight. All of that and you are on a higher deck.

We sure appreciate your input. It was close, but sounds like PT wins, if just barely.

No OBC with this, though we have gotten $40.00 prior - perhaps $60.00 - still waiting on the response to the last ES form sent in.

Thanks!

This is my .02, but I would take the OV.

Here is my reasoning:

The PT's sell out fast - they are cheap rooms with windows. These rooms are also the cheapest rooms of all the catergories (other than 1A's). Once they are gone, the likelyhood of getting many price drops is nil.

I would take the OV and hope for another price drop.

Think about it this way - the PT room people book those rooms because of the price and windows. The next catergory up is a 4A and I can't see many PT passengers willing to upgrade out of these rooms to any inside cabins.

The higher deck sounds like more fun to me. I am still learning how to look up cabins...and this morning I see they only had one OV left at that price - very last cabin on the Riviera Deck.

We are staying with the PT right now. What was said about changing to an OV and having a better chance for future price drops made sense, too. I'll keep watching. :cool:

Thanks for all the input. It sure helps educate folks like myself.

Dont go by me, Im probably silly. I feel like of like Im in steerage down on Riveria and the longer elevator ride to everything...too far to run up steps to most anything got old...thats why I liked empress deck for my PT.

The downside, dont forget you will probably be woken up by the anchor and noises when you dock ....so this might not be acceptable to you...with the PT. We got woken up early both port days and the last morning.

Dont go by me, Im probably silly. I feel like of like Im in steerage down on Riveria and the longer elevator ride to everything...too far to run up steps to most anything got old...thats why I liked empress deck for my PT.

The downside, dont forget you will probably be woken up by the anchor and noises when you dock ....so this might not be acceptable to you...with the PT. We got woken up early both port days and the last morning.

Fire I totally agree with you. We just didn't like being on a lower deck, and we were on the Main deck. We now will do whatever it takes to be on a higher deck. We'll be on Panorama next time and Upper the cruise after that.

Oh also, on the Main deck (deck 2) on the Elation, we had plenty of noise from the engines and vibration too. It wasn't enough to bother us or interrupt sleep, but the lower decks still can experience noise. We were pretty far aft, but not all the way in the back.

Archived