Are TA's Allowed to Discount Princess?

karinad

For the last number of years I have been using a huge online TA company but work directly with one of their agents. We recently booked the Crown for May, 2011 for a 15 day Transatlantic and past guest rate for a balcony (BD) on Baja was $1545 for cruise and port charges. The Princess rate for the same category is $3390. That is a savings of $1845 per person. How can you beat that and we get all of the perks from this company plus a person who answers all our questions. I asked her how Princess could discount so low and she was also astounded but the price was correct as they purchased in a block. That prices is still currently available if you check out the online companies.

The agent only made one mistake in the years that we have been using the company and they paid for half the error and gave us OBC besides. She had misquoted the cruiseline air by a small amount.

You should not have to present the TA you deal with other prices you have found, hoping they will meet or beat them. You need to keep looking until you find one that offers you the best price available to begin with. Many TA's out there do not discount Princess Pricing, even though it is within their means to do so, and that is their choice. Sometimes it can be a long process finding the right TA that both discounts and has great service, but they are out there. And they discount the price right from the start, plus often add other incentives such as shipboard credit as well as other small gifts.

If you find a TA that quotes you the same price you find on the Princess website, thank them nicely and just keep looking as you haven't found what you are looking for yet. ;) Best of Luck!

I always find better prices with online ta websites, than the cruiselines offer. But my travel agent neice keeps reminding me that she is a ta and I should book with her! So this time I got my best price, with a small OBC offered and a coupon book and then called my neice who works for a brick and motor ta. Took a little work, but she was able to match the price, offer a very good price on cruise insurance, and promised a "very nice surprise" in our stateroom!

Thanks, Jennifer!

For the last number of years I have been using a huge online TA company but work directly with one of their agents. We recently booked the Crown for May, 2011 for a 15 day Transatlantic and past guest rate for a balcony (BD) on Baja was $1545 for cruise and port charges. The Princess rate for the same category is $3390. That is a savings of $1845 per person. How can you beat that and we get all of the perks from this company plus a person who answers all our questions. I asked her how Princess could discount so low and she was also astounded but the price was correct as they purchased in a block. That prices is still currently available if you check out the online companies.

This is exactly the type of TA that we use...maybe with not quite the same results.

Archived