Are TA's Allowed to Discount Princess?

karinad

Also although I have two long cruises booked I still am getting last minute deals from Princess every week. This could be because I book direct....Others would be sent to TA's.

Kruisey - I am still getting last minute deals even when using a travel agent. This has absolutely nothing to do with it. Though - Princess usually doesn't send out last minute deals for a region that one has a future cruise booked on. This relates to my comment above. I have been getting tons of Europe, Caribbean, Mexico last minute deals. Sometimes you take a statement and twist it around.

Last minute deals through emails has absolutely nothing to do with who you book with. Those who book with Princess direct receive no favortism whatsoever. Sorry if you seem to think they do. But if it makes you feel better to think that way - go ahead.

I think Princess has finally gotten the last minute cruise deal emails going through. I have received at least 4 in the last two weeks to cruise on short notice. They seemed to be having problems with this for years, but whatever the problem was, they must have it all straightened out now.

We have never booked direct through Princess, but we are registered to receive last minute cruise deals on the website (anyone can do this and they don't have to have previously booked direct). And they have been coming in regularly now. Previously, they were hit and miss, I might get a few each year instead of several each month as I do now.

I agree, there is no favoritism played by Princess for those booking direct through them.

I also am getting last minute deals every week and I have never booked thru Princess.

So that doesn't have anything to do with booking them direct.

I have never seen Princess beat the price of a good TA. If a TA can't beat Princess price , you

still haven't found the right one. But its up to each person how they choose to spend their

own money. I personally like to save money on my bookings for more spending on the ship.

I got lucky and found a gem of a ta who is cheaper, there 24/7 and gives obc and will always

beat Princess prices hands down.

Dawn

Just curious though, for those of you who are taking advantage of discounting, what kind of percentage discount are you usually seeing? 5%, 10%?

Buddy - it varies quite a bit. For example - it depends on if we are booked into group space and if group space is below current price, etc... It also is hard to tell sometimes with out getting a calculator and figuring out what percentage is port fees and taxes (non-commissionable rates that isn't discounted) and I don't always look that far into the details of the price. I usually look and say Princess is $XXX.XX and my agent is $YYY.YY and yes, that is a few hundred dollars, yea!

As mentioned earlier - there is some group space on some future transatlantics that is excellent. People who used their TA who had group space looked like they were receiving 50% off of princess's prices but with out knowing what the real group price is, it is difficult to tell what the agent discounted on top of the group space.

I do feel for the independent agents who do not have access to larger agencies for group prices and higher commissions. It makes it more difficult for you to be competitive.

I think this boils down to the fact that each person wants to believe that they got the best deal possible. To admit otherwise is too painful.

Everyone I know thinks they got the best deal possible on their last automobile purchase. I think most auto dealers would disagree.:D

Also although I have two long cruises booked I still am getting last minute deals from Princess every week. This could be because I book direct....Others would be sent to TA's.

Nope, I get a few a week. You only have to register for them online.

Kruisey - I am still getting last minute deals even when using a travel agent. This has absolutely nothing to do with it. Though - Princess usually doesn't send out last minute deals for a region that one has a future cruise booked on. This relates to my comment above. I have been getting tons of Europe, Caribbean, Mexico last minute deals. Sometimes you take a statement and twist it around.

Last minute deals through emails has absolutely nothing to do with who you book with. Those who book with Princess direct receive no favortism whatsoever. Sorry if you seem to think they do. But if it makes you feel better to think that way - go ahead.

That I am travelling on next year......It was a special on a section of a world cruise received last night by e-mail.Princess is really nice to me.

So, I just emailed a TA that quoted me a price on that compete site. The quote was about $150. less then I've seen. I told him that I have the cruise booked with Princess and it would need to be transferred. I also asked him to email me his quote, and to make sure that his agency had no fees, etc. He emailed me back and said that "at this time he isn't taking any transferred reservations from the cruiselines, too much involved in it."

Must be nice to refuse bookings!

So, I just emailed a TA that quoted me a price on that compete site. The quote was about $150. less then I've seen. I told him that I have the cruise booked with Princess and it would need to be transferred. I also asked him to email me his quote, and to make sure that his agency had no fees, etc. He emailed me back and said that "at this time he isn't taking any transferred reservations from the cruiselines, too much involved in it."

"too much involved in it"? The passenger is the one who has to fax in the request. What, he's too lazy to enter a booking manually into his system or something? I think you had a lucky escape there; imagine how little help he'd be if something, god forbid, went wrong and he might actually have to exert himself. . .

That I am travelling on next year......It was a special on a section of a world cruise received last night by e-mail.Princess is really nice to me.

My guess is that they are pretty desperate!

My guess is that they are pretty desperate!

Okay, this cracked me up -- not sure you meant it as I read it . . . !

I got a mailer re the 2011 World Cruise segments just yesterday with some really awesome prices. If only I could take advantage.... Wish they'd do the WC not during the academic year!

"too much involved in it"? The passenger is the one who has to fax in the request. What, he's too lazy to enter a booking manually into his system or something? I think you had a lucky escape there; imagine how little help he'd be if something, god forbid, went wrong and he might actually have to exert himself. . .

yes, I'm always a little suspicious of a price that is lower. I did look him up on the internet and he looked ok, but he didn't list a toll-free phone #.

This is the type of situation I keep running into. That's why when I see a good deal or a price that I am willing to pay offered by Princess I just book with them. I don't want to loose out on a promotion that may disappear while I am trying to find a good discount TA.

I'm also curious about anyone else's experience/opinion with using the same "online" agent. I have used this one agent/agency more then a few times. The reason I kept going back is because I trust her to book the cruise, but there were times that she hasn't returned a call with a price. She is not the only agent in the agency, but I've always gone to her. Don't these online agencies care about getting a booking? Isn't there any commision in it for a multiple agent agency?

The online TA's with large companies are making money based on volume, not service. If they book 100 cruises a week and only make $10 a booking then that's a good income! A small, independent TA depends only on the commissions to survive (after their parent company and the "compete" company take their share) and the small TA's can't beat the big TA's pricing but they can beat the service in most cases. Go with what you are comfortable with.....that's the most important thing. But don't expect luxury service when you are paying Wal-Mart prices :)

The online TA's with large companies are making money based on volume, not service. If they book 100 cruises a week and only make $10 a booking then that's a good income! A small, independent TA depends only on the commissions to survive (after their parent company and the "compete" company take their share) and the small TA's can't beat the big TA's pricing but they can beat the service in most cases. Go with what you are comfortable with.....that's the most important thing. But don't expect luxury service when you are paying Wal-Mart prices :)

Thanks! I don't need my hand held, or to be told about the cruise. I just called about 5 online agencies that I found by google. I was nice, they were nice, both of us made a little small talk, they had to know that I was checking prices, and I let it be known that I had the cruise booked with Princess, 1 or 2 of them even quoted me higher then the rate I have with Princess, saying that prices change(I know, and checked before I called around) I didn't argue, just thanked them and said I'd call back. No one seems to really care!:confused:

Thanks! I don't need my hand held, or to be told about the cruise. I just called about 5 online agencies that I found by google. I was nice, they were nice, both of us made a little small talk, they had to know that I was checking prices, and I let it be known that I had the cruise booked with Princess, 1 or 2 of them even quoted me higher then the rate I have with Princess, saying that prices change(I know, and checked before I called around) I didn't argue, just thanked them and said I'd call back. No one seems to really care!:confused:

Any time a TA quotes you a price higher than Princess, do as you did and thank them for their time and hang up. Sometimes it takes a lot of looking around until you find a good TA that discounts, but they honestly are out there. Good luck, I hope you have time to check around some more, as it can really save you in the long run if you find a discount TA and can transfer your booking.

Any time a TA quotes you a price higher than Princess, do as you did and thank them for their time and hang up. Sometimes it takes a lot of looking around until you find a good TA that discounts, but they honestly are out there. Good luck, I hope you have time to check around some more, as it can really save you in the long run if you find a discount TA and can transfer your booking.

Thanks! My search will continue tomorrow. I am on a mission, and you have given me the encouragement I need!;)

Buddy - it varies quite a bit. For example - it depends on if we are booked into group space and if group space is below current price, etc... It also is hard to tell sometimes with out getting a calculator and figuring out what percentage is port fees and taxes (non-commissionable rates that isn't discounted) and I don't always look that far into the details of the price. I usually look and say Princess is $XXX.XX and my agent is $YYY.YY and yes, that is a few hundred dollars, yea!

As mentioned earlier - there is some group space on some future transatlantics that is excellent. People who used their TA who had group space looked like they were receiving 50% off of princess's prices but with out knowing what the real group price is, it is difficult to tell what the agent discounted on top of the group space.

I do feel for the independent agents who do not have access to larger agencies for group prices and higher commissions. It makes it more difficult for you to be competitive.

It is tough to compete on price, even when you do use the group bookings, which can actually be easier for small firms. Groups won't often save that much money, but will give you a one or two category uplift in the launch category. A lot of companies that have high volume make up for their commission-depleting OBCs by folding all their travelers into groups and earning tour conductor credits, which works out to around 5-6% for most groups because you are only paid in multiples of your TC ratio.

Of course, when you're actually booking a group, if you give them all the TC credits to the group themselves, you've only got your 10 - 11% to work with, and that's before the agency share or costs.

Now, where all agents can outshine Princess is in Flash sales. :)

One thing to consider is that an email inquiry can sound a LOT like "bargain hunting PITA customer" when it's not phrased correctly. TAs who are good and busy don't want to deal with what my TA friend calls a "bottom feeder." These customers tend to be high maintenance and at the same time expect TAs to give them lower prices than they feel is worth their time.

My TA forwarded me 2 emails today after we talked about this thread. They were obnoxious emails like, "I have a quote for $xxxx for this sailing. If you can beat it by at least $200, call me and I will book with you." She said she just deletes these types of emails because they are just not fun to deal with.

While many of us thing TAs are starving and are desparate for any business, most good TAs are actually doing very well (like my friend/TA of 10 years) and can pick and choose to a certain extent who they want to deal with.

Katherine

I know that RCC and Celebrity doesn't discount anymore, but I was wondering about Princess. It seems that the prices I've been seeing are no better then what my CC's price is. All the TA's are offering a small OBC, but nothing lower, even higher. There used to be a considerable difference, especially if there was a group.

So, what gives? It's not that Princess's prices are better then the rest of the cruiselines. It seems like the TA's could give around 10% OBC with RCC and Celebrity, not that with Princess.:confused:

My TA tells me that the group OBC selections that Princess offers agents have really come down in value in the last two years. Now they are all per stateroom rather than per person, and little amounts like $25, $50 and $75 bucks.

One thing to consider is that an email inquiry can sound a LOT like "bargain hunting PITA customer" when it's not phrased correctly. TAs who are good and busy don't want to deal with what my TA friend calls a "bottom feeder." These customers tend to be high maintenance and at the same time expect TAs to give them lower prices than they feel is worth their time.

My TA forwarded me 2 emails today after we talked about this thread. They were obnoxious emails like, "I have a quote for $xxxx for this sailing. If you can beat it by at least $200, call me and I will book with you." She said she just deletes these types of emails because they are just not fun to deal with.

Funny, I was in a TA class at Cruise3Sixty two weeks ago and they taught strategies for dealing with price shoppers, mainly of ilk of "call me when you have your best price and I'll try to beat it." Having the time to run a quote for every price shopper would be great, but unless you can close a significant percentage of them, you'll go broke it you try to aswer all of them.

My TA tells me that the group OBC selections that Princess offers agents have really come down in value in the last two years. Now they are all per stateroom rather than per person, and little amounts like $25, $50 and $75 bucks.
Yes and no. Yes they are per stateroom now, but the points required for them are less - I just went and looked at my 2008 amenity charts. What does seem to have fallen slightly are the amenity points allocated per cruise. In 2008, low-demand shoulder season cruises were being allocated 7 and 8 amenity points to spend. For 2011, I'm getting 5 points, which only buys me a $50 per stateroom discount or credit for my clients, with one point left over for wine, chocolates or photos. I'm cutting into my commissions more than ever for onboard gifts now.

They are per stateroom now and they have come down. I think the per stateroom deals more with singles who were paying 200% and only getting half of the amount per room.

I really don't care about the OBC, coupon books, wine etc. I just want a good price along with good service and you have a customer for life.

That is what I get from my present agent and why I have stayed.

All that other stuff is just smoke and mirrors to me.

Mike:)

My very high volume T.A. in Ohio just sold my DW and me a Tahiti cruise for about $1,400 total under the BB class Princess web price and threw in some extra shipboard credits, wine and those almost worthless Princess coupon books. If past practice proves to be true she'll even drop the price if Princess drops the price (fat chance on this cruise) if I remind her. I'm amazed to see people pay full retail for their cruise tickets like I did, stupidly on my first cruise. It really pays to shop around these days for a discounting T.A. you can really trust and who will go the extra mile for you.

Archived