Are TA's Allowed to Discount Princess?

karinad

My very high volume T.A. in Ohio just sold my DW and me a Tahiti cruise for about $1,400 total under the BB class Princess web price and threw in some extra shipboard credits, wine and those almost worthless Princess coupon books. If past practice proves to be true she'll even drop the price if Princess drops the price (fat chance on this cruise) if I remind her. I'm amazed to see people pay full retail for their cruise tickets like I did, stupidly on my first cruise. It really pays to shop around these days for a discounting T.A. you can really trust and who will go the extra mile for you.

wOkie, now I just have to ask. You aren't saying that you booked the 28 day RT LA to Tahiti cruise in a BB category for $1400 are you (as I noticed on another thread you posted you booked that one in a BB), cause even I would have to question that one? :)

wOkie, now I just have to ask. You aren't saying that you booked the 28 day RT LA to Tahiti cruise in a BB category for $1400 are you (as I noticed on another thread you posted you booked that one in a BB), cause even I would have to question that one? :)

I want that TA's name if you can book a $5495pp cabin for $1400:rolleyes: But it looks like $1400 off the Princess price?

Mike:)

I wish I could book a bb on a 28 day cruise for $1,400. Sorry I wasn't clear. That's the approximate discount I got. Now if I had shopped for credit card deals, especially "American" credit card deals I might have done even better. :cool:

LOL, I figured I misunderstood something, but I just had to ask. ;) Thanks!

My TA tells me that the group OBC selections that Princess offers agents have really come down in value in the last two years. Now they are all per stateroom rather than per person, and little amounts like $25, $50 and $75 bucks.

I noticed this also. What used to be $100.00 OBC is now $75 or $85.

My very high volume T.A. in Ohio just sold my DW and me a Tahiti cruise for about $1,400 total under the BB class Princess web price and threw in some extra shipboard credits, wine and those almost worthless Princess coupon books. If past practice proves to be true she'll even drop the price if Princess drops the price (fat chance on this cruise) if I remind her. I'm amazed to see people pay full retail for their cruise tickets like I did, stupidly on my first cruise. It really pays to shop around these days for a discounting T.A. you can really trust and who will go the extra mile for you.
That is a very good deal - I'm assuming the $1400 discount is the total for both of you, so $700 each off the price?

That is a very good deal - I'm assuming the $1400 discount is the total for both of you, so $700 each off the price?

Buddy, most discount TA's will discount 10-12% off the Princess price. ;) And many also add on shipboard credit to the booking, that is pretty normal. ;)

Buddy, most discount TA's will discount 10-12% off the Princess price. ;) And many also add on shipboard credit to the booking, that is pretty normal. ;)
Yes, I see that. :) If I had the volume and their commission tier, I'd probably do the same, though we'd generally discount lightly and give a much larger onboard credit instead.

OK, I think I found about the best deal. This is what I found in making about 10 calls to online agencies. This is for the Emerald Princess in Oct., 10 day, Cat. BG: The price without my CC # direct with Princess was total with port & taxes was $2555. With my CC# was$2253. Some agencies were giving me the same as Princess with an OBC of $75. Some discounted off of that with a price of $2155. plus OBC of either $75. or $85. Only a couple gave me $2079. plus $85. All claimed to have a group on the cruise. Of course I booked with the lower $ agency with no booking/cancellation fees. I have used them before, but not the last time. That one never called me back from last week, and I didn't call her back. I figure that if the one offering the lower price right away, it's only fair to go with them.

Here's another question: If I see my CC price drop on Princess's site like from the $2253. to maybe $2000., and I have it booked for $2079. with the TA, should she also drop the price if it's the same Cat. BG? What about if I'm upgraded from BG to BA?:confused:

Here's another question: If I see my CC price drop on Princess's site like from the $2253. to maybe $2000., and I have it booked for $2079. with the TA, should she also drop the price if it's the same Cat. BG? What about if I'm upgraded from BG to BA?:confused:

Since you seemed to have found a discount TA, if the price drops on the Princess website, yes, you should be able to have your cruise re-fared. BUT, it may not be as much as the drop you see, when the discount amount is taken into consideration. Since the price was already discounted, it may be slightly less than what you see on the Princess website if there is a price drop.

As for an upgrade. If you booked a BG and were upgraded (complimentary) to a BA, you will not usually be able to take advantage of a price decrease unless you are willing to go back into the guarantee pool and give up your upgrade. Best of Luck!

Sometimes Princess has "flash deals", not applicable to currently booked passengers. If that kind of promotion is outside cancellation penalties, you can cancel & rebook, but you loose your dining or other preferences. Sometimes "flash" promotions have to be paid in full. You have to be very careful. Usually those promotions happen within the cancellation penalties, and Princess will not change to the lower price. Princess also runs Regional specials not applicable to everyone.

As a retired TA for a major company, I was often able to reduce passengers fares with all lines, with regular checking, but sometimes it was not permitted.

Good luck!

I guess the thing to do is to check daily on the Princess site and sign into your account. I'm assuming that if there is a regional or "flash" sale, this will all show up.

Thanks for all the great info., Everyone!

I think, karinad, that Flash sales can only be booked/seen through a TA; they don't show up on Princess's site. Maybe someone can verify this who knows more?

Whether or not that's the case, I've been getting some emails with some awesome last-minute deals direct from Princess for various cruises. Which leads me to my general question for the experts here: how soon before a cruise do Flash promos pop up? Are they as close to sail date as these last-minute direct-from-Princess offers or do they come out more in advance of a sailing?

I think, karinad, that Flash sales can only be booked/seen through a TA; they don't show up on Princess's site. Maybe someone can verify this who knows more?

Whether or not that's the case, I've been getting some emails with some awesome last-minute deals direct from Princess for various cruises. Which leads me to my general question for the experts here: how soon before a cruise do Flash promos pop up? Are they as close to sail date as these last-minute direct-from-Princess offers or do they come out more in advance of a sailing?

I think you are right - the real flash sales, you must use a TA. The targeted emails you can use either (but a TA can discount further).

Princess also advertises specials far in advance that is available through TA and Princess that sort of look like like flash sales. For example - they have one right now advertising their Christmas prices. They are not coded as Flash though.

I guess our best "tool" for finding out if there is a lower fare for a cruise we are already booked on is CC. If someone hears of a lower price from their TA and posts it here, we could always call our TA and ask about it. I have never been called by a TA that I had to tell me my price dropped. If that were the case, they would have my business forever! Has anyone ever had this happen to them or do you always have to do the work yourself?

Has anyone ever had this happen to them or do you always have to do the work yourself?

A good TA will have hundreds of clients, some with multiple cruises book. It would be next to impossible to check every client's rates on a regular enough basis to determine if their is a price reduction.

Some posters have reported it has happened to them, but they are in the minority. Many more posters say they check on a regular basis and then notify the TA if a better rate is found.

I guess our best "tool" for finding out if there is a lower fare for a cruise we are already booked on is CC. If someone hears of a lower price from their TA and posts it here, we could always call our TA and ask about it. I have never been called by a TA that I had to tell me my price dropped. If that were the case, they would have my business forever! Has anyone ever had this happen to them or do you always have to do the work yourself?

Most TAs who discount heavily can only do so because they book millions with cruise lines each year (meaning very busy). They make up the discounts by booking in volume. They don't have time to check each booking regularly.

So unless you find an agent who is doing it as a hobby and has no interest in making money - this will be difficult to find. What one needs to look for is an agent who is responsive when you bring a price reduction to their attention. Most of the time, if you bring it to their attention and they find a reduction, they check the other passengers/clients on that sailing and adjust accordingly.

I recently found a price drop on my Sea Princess cruise. I e-mailed the TA and she got right back to me with my new balance due (about $200 savings). I was so impressed with her service I just used her again to make my Crown Princess booking. That's where these TA's really win if they provide top-notch service.

I recently found a price drop on my Sea Princess cruise. I e-mailed the TA and she got right back to me with my new balance due (about $200 savings). I was so impressed with her service I just used her again to make my Crown Princess booking. That's where these TA's really win if they provide top-notch service.

I agree, a discounted price is great, but you need to find one that has the great discount prices and the service on top of it. They are out there.........sometimes it just takes a while to find the right one. ;)

I experienced the positive side of dealing with a discount TA in the last couple of days. After having dealt with Princess directly for our last 2 cruises, I got quotes from and elected to book a Christmas cruise with a TA on Thursday afternoon. Our initial booking for my husband and I was at a savings of more than $500 from what Princess had on their website.

Late Friday night, I logged into Princess.com and noticed that the per person rate for our cabin category dropped by more than $300. I immediately sent an email to our TA and when I checked email first thing Saturday morning, I had 3 different emails from the TA confirming our $600 savings! I've only dealt with this lady for a few days and I'm already sold on her value. :D

• 2 months later...

Having a great vacation is not all about the price. I will pay for great service any day of the week.

Just curious, if you forgot your passport at home and you are on your way to the airport can you call the cruiseline and ask one of their agents or the person on a discount website you booked with to run to your house to get it for you and meet you at the airport?

No? Didn't think so. A travel agent would.:)

Having a great vacation is not all about the price. I will pay for great service any day of the week.

Just curious, if you forgot your passport at home and you are on your way to the airport can you call the cruiseline and ask one of their agents or the person on a discount website you booked with to run to your house to get it for you and meet you at the airport?

Not if your travel agent lived in a different state.

I think it is a good to have a local TA....but they would have to have a key to our house and the combination to our safe to get get our passports and that is not going to happen...even if our TA was our BIL.;)

Archived