Umbrella's on Aft Balcony

CarolynB

My mother will be sailing with us in December. She is quite sun sensitive, what is your thoughts about attaching an umbrella with cable ties to the chair so she can sit comfortable. Umbrella would be taken down when not in use.

There are shady spots on the ships and umbrellas set up. You could try to locate these. Otherwise, try to find one of the beach umbrellas that clip or clamp to beach chairs. Less hassle than setting up tie downs.

My mother will be sailing with us in December. She is quite sun sensitive, what is your thoughts about attaching an umbrella with cable ties to the chair so she can sit comfortable. Umbrella would be taken down when not in use.

Not sure you could physically accomplish this with the deck space provided....you would have to move the chair awat from the window to open the umbrella, and the slanted glass wal/rail would prevent you from getting in and out of the chair.

IMO, it's doable on an aft balcony - not sure if they'll allow you to use it though. You can buy those mini-beach umbrellas that come with a clamp installed to attach to a chair. You might want to look into one of those as well.

I was going to suggest this as well rather than a regular umbrella and tie straps. The aft-facing balconies on Spirit class (except for deck 4) don't have much of an overhang and depending on which direction the ship is sailing, there could be considerable sun on the balcony.

Archived