Rotterdam library

bunzo

We are late to cruising...and have just booked our first ocean cruise(Hawaii and polynesia jan '11). I have read that the Rotterdam has a library,but that's all the info I can garner. Can anyone tell me anything about the scope and number (approximate)of books available?. I am a voracious reader and will be hard pressed to bring enough books to last 30 days! Anyone??

IMHO HAL ships have the best libraries on the seas. You probably won't find the current NY Times best sellers but they have many fiction books (mysteries included), biographies, travel books, history books, magazines, DVDs, etc. I find these librariers very enjoyable with comfy seats. Explorations Cafe and Internet Center--Upper Promenade midship:D

Are the books for use only in the Explorers Cafe and Internet area or can you check them out and enjoy them in your cabin?

Jane

You can check most of them out, but like your local library not the reference books. DVDs can be checked out too.

Another suggestion would be to buy a Amazon Kindle before your trip. I have had one for years, and 2 years ago, I think I saw about 5 of them on board a ship. This last January, I did the same trip you are doing (fabulous!) and there must have been 500 Kindles/sony ereaders, etc. Like you, I read all the time, and I can't imagine packing for a long trip without my kindle!

As far as the library goes, they have a few paperbacks that you can take and keep if you wish, or trade with one of your own. Then they have a pretty extensive fiction/non fiction set of books. My only complaint is that they are all hardbacks, which I don't like to read, and I worry about getting them wet at the pool. Before I got my kindle, I would go to the used book store and buy a bunch of paperbacks, that I would just leave wherever I finished it... makes more room for treasures in your suitcase coming home. That said, I can't recommend the Kindle any more highly! They even have "free" books to download, so I rarely buy a book.

I also inhale books and would need another suitcase if I were to bring enough to supply my need for a long cruise (actually, even for a short cruise:)).

The HAL libraries are great. I have never had a problem finding enough books to read.

I usually take a couple of paperbacks with me and once I've read them, I use the book exchange in the library. Lots of paperback and hardbound to choose from - and usually in a variety of languages, also. You don't have to sign them out - just leave your old book and choose a new one.

There is also a very good selection of books you can sign out to read anywhere on the ship. Your name, cabin number, and date of disembarkation are entered either into the computer if the librarian is in attendance, or on a sign out sheet if she is busy elsewhere. You can keep the book as long as you would like, as long as it is returned before the final evening of your cruise.

The first couple of days of your cruise the ship will probably be under a code yellow to help control on-board illness. At this time the metal grates will be pulled down in front of the bookshelves to prevent guests from helping themselves. During library hours, you just need to look through the grills until you find a book you would like, then ask the librarian if they will get it out for you. They are really good about helping you.

I have seen a lot of people using kindles and e-readers, but I have not been able to develope a love for these. I like the feel of curling up with a traditional book, holding it in my hands and turning the pages. These actions are all part of the experience of book reading to me, and I am not as satisfied without the "full meal deal". To each his own, I guess!

I am sure you will find the library sufficiently stocked to keep your book lust satisfied, and I hope you enjoy the Rotterdam. We will be on her in March and I am counting down the days. Cruising is (usually) one of those activities that gets into your blood, and once you start, it is hard to stop. We hope your trip is truly memorable. Enjoy! :)

I agree with Davidson Duo, I don't enjoy e-readers in the same way as a real book but I think that is because I am just old fashioned :D

The only thing I found with the HAL libraries is that (I suppose understandably) the selection of books is geared very much to American tastes. For anyone from UK, don't expect many modern British authors.

What kind of DVDs do they have to check out?

Davidson Duo - We're also on Rotterdam in March, 2011. It's nice to know that, once I finish my paperback, I can exchange it for another. I just hope there are other SciFi fans leaving books :D

Davidson Duo - We're also on Rotterdam in March, 2011. It's nice to know that, once I finish my paperback, I can exchange it for another. I just hope there are other SciFi fans leaving books :D

For DVD's, there will be a little booklet in your stateroom with a list of all the DVD's available. There are literally hundreds of them. Comedies, Golden Oldies, Westerns, Family, TV Shows, and others.

You just phone the Front Office and they will deliver your choice to your stateroom. Or you can pick them up yourself at the FO.

They are free and there is a good selection. Many of the passengers on our last Maasdam cruise utilized the service and enjoyed it very much.

It is nice that HAL has removed the rental charge for them - another great service offered by HAL. :)

No worries about sci-fi. I left a couple of good ones last time I was on the Rotterdam and I noticed they had quite a selection. Even had a couple by my favourite author (who is in the UK) which was a very pleasant surprise!:):)

For DVD's, there will be a little booklet in your stateroom with a list of all the DVD's available. There are literally hundreds of them. Comedies, Golden Oldies, Westerns, Family, TV Shows, and others.

You just phone the Front Office and they will deliver your choice to your stateroom. Or you can pick them up yourself at the FO.

They are free and there is a good selection. Many of the passengers on our last Maasdam cruise utilized the service and enjoyed it very much.

It is nice that HAL has removed the rental charge for them - another great service offered by HAL. :)

That is a a very nice gesture by HAL that I notice there isn't much mention of on these boards unlike the flaming about the line 'nickel and diming' for other services.

That is a a very nice gesture by HAL that I notice there isn't much mention of on these boards unlike the flaming about the line 'nickel and diming' for other services.

IMO I find HAL very fair in prices. if you want to order liquor for your room it is only a couple more dollars than here from our liquor store (gratuity is included in the price). fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast. and while available, the HAL wine cards are a deal and the wine packages are not too ridiculous. they have a very nice selection of wines to choose from.

enjoy your cruise. I think you will have a great time. Find a favourite 'spot' and enjoy your books. :):):)

I really enjoyed the library and cafe areas on my Amsterdam cruise over the December/January Christmas/New Years holidays. I took four paperback books and did a few trades at the book exchange. This area was my favorite on the Amsterdam and I look forward to spending time in the library and cafe areas on my Rotterdam cruise this year.

I also love the break from email and the web but, this time around, I might make the time to check out HAL's digital classes.

Reading this thread I found out some good news--free dvds for loan outs. I like to catch up on my movie viewing on a cruise. So I'm happy to find out that HAL is doing this. I also like that there is a dedicated movie theater on this ship. Faith

It was varied enough and extensive enough to be a good library in a small American town. Fiction, travel, science, art, current affairs, biographies -- you name it, they had it all. Even some books in foreign languages.

We sailed when the Noordam was a year old and went the very next year again. Nothing seemingly had changed in the selection; hardly any new books had been added. But what they had on the shelves offered me hours of pleasure. I was writing a book at the time -- http://www.anteropietila.com -- and I found a couple of very useful books related to race relations on the Noordam! I also found a suspense novel by Dan Fesperman. He had been a colleague of mine at the Baltimore Sun, but I had never read any of his fiction. He is a terrific writer, who has won recognition even in Britain.

Another great feature of the Explorations Cafe, which in addition to selling latte and other drinks includes the library, were the computers. On both of our Noordam trips, you could log onto the New York Times newspaper site without any internet charge. It was entertaining to read all that fits to print about the Spitzer scandal.

HAL truly is in a class by itself. We are thinking of a 28-day Latin American cruise next year on the Veendam. I may take one book with me, knowing well there will be plenty in its library. (The interesting thing about Noordam was that they multiple copies of some books).

I would agree that the HAL libraries are among the best at sea, but nothing can compare to the huge library on the QM2. And it also has a good bookstore with lots of nautical books available.

You can indeed enjoy the New York Times stories on the Explorations Cafe Internet computers at no charge, but if you dig into many of the links, you are required to log onto your account.

You can also visit HAL's website for free, and check out future cruises, other ships in the fleet and their deckplans etc.

And there are daily quizzes and puzzles provided.

Archived