Diamond: Sabatini's vs. Sterling's Steakhouse

micheleb1219

I'm going on the Diamond Princess shortly and am trying to figure out if I should choose to go to one of the restaurants over the other. I realize since the charge is minimal I could just try both, but I was wondering if anyone has a preference. Is it just personal taste? Italian vs. Steak?

Thanks!

I avoid the steak houses figuring that I can have a steak anywhere including a very nice one off my own grill. On the other hand my skills at Italian are extremely limited...so its Sabatini's for us...it's great.:)

I'm going on the Diamond Princess shortly and am trying to figure out if I should choose to go to one of the restaurants over the other. I realize since the charge is minimal I could just try both, but I was wondering if anyone has a preference. Is it just personal taste? Italian vs. Steak?

Thanks!

If you really love a nice perfectly cooked filet mignon, go to the steakhouse. I did Sabatini's once and that was enough, I always go back to the steakhouse.

Thanks for your input. I might take Careg's advice and live it up...haha.

Living in NYC, we don't have a grill, but we do have steakhouses..unfortunately the price of going could be the cost of a 3 day Bahama cruise...lol Therefore, the minimal charge is tempting. However, the Italian menu looks soooo good :-)

I am going on the Diamond, N/B Vancouver to Whittier July 3. I see from your roll call you are a fan of the Diamond. Anything special? I have not been on Princess since '04 so I am quite excited. There is 11 of us in total, some first time cruisers...I am trying to prepare them :)

My DH worked on ships as a Golf Pro..he was in Alaska for one contract. Are you planning on golfing???

I avoid the steak houses figuring that I can have a steak anywhere including a very nice one off my own grill. On the other hand my skills at Italian are extremely limited...so its Sabatini's for us...it's great.:)

I would suggest both. Keep in mind that the steakhouse on the Diamond is a section of the buffet that is screened off in the evening. We've done Sabatini's several times and loved it each time. We did the Sterling on the Sapphire (same set-up as the Diamond) on our last cruise and found the food and the service to be outstanding.

If you want a really unique dining experience, consider the UBD (ultimate balcony dining) and or the Chef's Table. You do need to have a balcony room for the UBD.

jff50:

Do you have any more details regarding the UBD? How does it work if you don't have a Balcony? Also, is it too cool in Alaska to dine outside?

Thanks!

I would suggest both. Keep in mind that the steakhouse on the Diamond is a section of the buffet that is screened off in the evening. We've done Sabatini's several times and loved it each time. We did the Sterling on the Sapphire (same set-up as the Diamond) on our last cruise and found the food and the service to be outstanding.

If you want a really unique dining experience, consider the UBD (ultimate balcony dining) and or the Chef's Table. You do need to have a balcony room for the UBD.

jff50:

Do you have any more details regarding the UBD? How does it work if you don't have a Balcony? Also, is it too cool in Alaska to dine outside?

Thanks!

There should be several threads on the UBD. Do a search for UBD or Ultimate Balcony Dining. You can't do it unless you have a balcony. It's $50/person. The Chef's Table is also wonderful. It is $75/person, and includes wine pairings. You can search for that also.

My error...for some reason I thought you wrote you do not need a balcony...oops...wishful thinking...haha

There should be several threads on the UBD. Do a search for UBD or Ultimate Balcony Dining. You can't do it unless you have a balcony. It's $50/person. The Chef's Table is also wonderful. It is $75/person, and includes wine pairings. You can search for that also.

We ate at the steak house on the Diamond last Jan. only because we ate at Sabitini's on previous cruises. It was very good. However, I agree with other posters. I can find good steak houses where I live. Sabitinis, on the hand, is unique. I don't know of any Italian place around where I live like Sabitinis. If you can afford it try both!

We were on the Diamond recently (our first Princess cruise) and dined at Sabatini's....it was wonderful. We've had dinner at many fine restaurants and have to admit this was perhaps the best we've had. The food was delicious, but also it was unique (at least for us)...in that all appetizers were brought to us...a taste of each (more if you wanted)...and it was great!! The service was supberb. Definitely advise you to try it!!

I am going on the Diamond, N/B Vancouver to Whittier July 3. I see from your roll call you are a fan of the Diamond. Anything special? I have not been on Princess since '04 so I am quite excited. There is 11 of us in total, some first time cruisers...I am trying to prepare them :)

My DH worked on ships as a Golf Pro..he was in Alaska for one contract. Are you planning on golfing???

Why do we like the Diamond...well for beginers we like the 5 dining rooms, it is one the newer ships in the fleet, it is big without feeling big, the public areas don't feel crowded like they can be on the Grand class ships, all four aft elevators go to the MDR and there are restrooms outside of the MDR which is not the case on the Grands and lastly people seem to move about the ship much easier.

No I do not intend to play golf while in Alaska...I play up to 200 games a year and this is a break for DW & me.

I was on the Grand Princess in '04 and at the time I think that was the largest ship I had been on. I remember the corridors where the cabins were seemed to go on forever.

As I mentioned earlier, my DH worked on ships...HAL, Celebrity and trained on Carnival. Since we've been together we've been on NCL, RCCL and Celebrity as guests...he really wanted to go on Princess as did I. When we were looking at booking Alaska I noticed a few of the smaller Princess ships (Coral and Island, I believe) were sailing there, but I thought it would be nice to go on the Diamond. 4 of the 11 traveling are 1st time cruisers and I did warn them about the size of the ship. Hopefully they will love it. Thanks for your input...really can't wait!!!

Oh..my DH says you are not missing anything by not playing in Alaska :cool:

Enjoy your B2B!

Why do we like the Diamond...well for beginers we like the 5 dining rooms, it is one the newer ships in the fleet, it is big without feeling big, the public areas don't feel crowded like they can be on the Grand class ships, all four aft elevators go to the MDR and there are restrooms outside of the MDR which is not the case on the Grands and lastly people seem to move about the ship much easier.

No I do not intend to play golf while in Alaska...I play up to 200 games a year and this is a break for DW & me.

Thanks for the review. I think I am getting swayed ;)

We were on the Diamond recently (our first Princess cruise) and dined at Sabatini's....it was wonderful. We've had dinner at many fine restaurants and have to admit this was perhaps the best we've had. The food was delicious, but also it was unique (at least for us)...in that all appetizers were brought to us...a taste of each (more if you wanted)...and it was great!! The service was supberb. Definitely advise you to try it!!

Archived