Pacific Jewel - Polar Opposite Reviews

Wilkono

Although I recall a similar experience when researching the Pacific Dawn, the reviews for the Pacific Jewel have me... confused. How is it that some passengers have horrific experiences on the Jewel, and others have the time of their lives? Sometimes these reviews are even written about the same voyage! Everything from food, to staff, to entertainment... some say its the best, some say its the worst.

It doesn't seem to be a difference in expectations either. Some reviewers claim that food is undercooked, that the staff are entirely depressed and unhelpful, even simple stuff like airconditioning and intercom problems seem to plague these holidayers. Other passengers claim that the food (especially from the Waterfront) is fantastic, and that the staff are always pleasant and helpful, emphasising their tireless efforts to make their voyage a positive experience. I just don't get it!

I guess my problem is that these 'polar opposite' reviews do nothing except make me nervous. Sometimes, negative reviews can be attributed to expectations that are simply set too high for a three-star voyage, and I'm quick to dismiss these. I ignore complaints about drink prices, for instance, as the prices on the Dawn were comparable to pub prices ashore. But... undercooked food? Miserable staff? Empty promises? OH&S issues for acrobats? (Yes, seriously, it was a complaint).

It won't stop me from going on the Jewel, as I have the intention of arriving on embarkation day in the highest spirits, and refusing to be disappointed at 'the little things'. I guess I just wanted to open a discussion to this strange 'polar opposite reviews' phenomenon.

I think it is just the nature of humans...thankfully we don't all like the same things, life would be boring in the extreme.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion good or bad, read them all and go with an open mind as you say...I never had a cruise I didn't like but some I liked a whole bunch more for lots of different reasons.

I had friends on the very early Jewel cruises and they were not impressed then...but since then it seems that lots of the teething issues have been sorted and the recent posts seem much more positive.

I am trying something new next time...I have read the reviews which are a bit off putting, "fashion police" and the "well bred and nearly dead" are not inspiring, but they had a great price for taking the grand children so I will let you all know when we get back.

If you are determined to have a good cruise you will no matter what.

You will always have your cheerleaders and then those who are very critical, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Wilkono

You will even find some who claim that their glasses were half-empty - while others claimed that their glasses were half-full. So which one was right?? It all depends on which way you look at it. :o

For me, if I have a bad (to me) experience of anything - then, NO MORE! I simply don't repeat that experience again - I may tell a few friends, but soon realise their lack of desire to listen to me moan.

BUT others want to tell the world about their bad (to them) experience - not only tell the world , but it becomes their life's work!!

Who you listen to is up to you.:) I tend to listen to the moaners - but listen more carefully to those who saw their glass as half-full.

Barry

Although I recall a similar experience when researching the Pacific Dawn, the reviews for the Pacific Jewel have me... confused. How is it that some passengers have horrific experiences on the Jewel, and others have the time of their lives? Sometimes these reviews are even written about the same voyage! Everything from food, to staff, to entertainment... some say its the best, some say its the worst.

It doesn't seem to be a difference in expectations either. Some reviewers claim that food is undercooked, that the staff are entirely depressed and unhelpful, even simple stuff like airconditioning and intercom problems seem to plague these holidayers. Other passengers claim that the food (especially from the Waterfront) is fantastic, and that the staff are always pleasant and helpful, emphasising their tireless efforts to make their voyage a positive experience. I just don't get it!

I guess my problem is that these 'polar opposite' reviews do nothing except make me nervous. Sometimes, negative reviews can be attributed to expectations that are simply set too high for a three-star voyage, and I'm quick to dismiss these. I ignore complaints about drink prices, for instance, as the prices on the Dawn were comparable to pub prices ashore. But... undercooked food? Miserable staff? Empty promises? OH&S issues for acrobats? (Yes, seriously, it was a complaint).

It won't stop me from going on the Jewel, as I have the intention of arriving on embarkation day in the highest spirits, and refusing to be disappointed at 'the little things'. I guess I just wanted to open a discussion to this strange 'polar opposite reviews' phenomenon.

Hi ,

Hope my review of the jEWEL HELPS

my previous posts you probally know that i am not a big fan of P&O Australia.

From some of the reviews about the jewel,most which were scathing I was really worried about sailing on her and at one stage even considered cancelling. I am certainly glad I didn,t.

I went onboard I supose with and open mind but apprehensive from some of the reviews I read...one called it the cruise from hell,another described the food in the buffet as slop...just curries and stews,shows terrible,circus a joke...not the greatest comments to have you over enthusastic before you board.

Here is my views and observations

Embarkation/disembark

Easy we arrived at 11am checked in got our cruise card and boarding number and was told check-in would begin at 11.30am.

We met up with our friends Ross (wombat) & Lesley from our cruise on the Dawn Princess in May 2009.Also Joanne (packetau) was there and was great to catch up with her as well.Boarding commenced at 11.30am and we were on the ship 11.45am.....simple .

getting off we had meeting at 8.10 ...off through customs etc 8.25am .

THE SHIP

The Jewel is an old ship which P&O have tarted her up a bit with new carpet through out and synthetic grass around the poll plus all new deck chairs..

We went sraight to our cabin on deck 10.When I put my cruise card in to open the door I didn,t know what to expect....to my

surprise the cabin was excellent,large ,bright and roomy.Heaps of drawer and hanging space

.A beatuifully laid out cabin.The bed was comfy and the pillows were the best.Probally the best cabin I have ever had.

After having spent 10 wonderful days on the Jewel with our good friends Ross & lesley I come away with a different view than the one I had gone on with.She is a stately old lady with warm charm and character...in all a lovely ship.

DINING ROOM.

The Waterfront Restaurant is fabulous.It is stylish and elegant and the food is really good.

BUFFET.

The Plantation buffet, like most gets busy especially on sea days and it can be very hard to find a seat but there is seating

in the ajacent La Luna and in the hamburger/grill area or plenty of seating out on deck....didn,t bother us at any stage.

The food was good with heaps of variety.

SALT GRILL.

In a word excellent...dont miss it.

ENTERTAINMENT

Again very good and the circus acts both outside and inside were excellent....just like a mini CIRQUE de solei.

PUBLIC AREAS

Good but some could get crowed but it just comes down to personal mangement to fit in every thing you want on any night.

Di & I both thought the Atrium was a bit small and lacked natural light.Fiting and furnishing throughout the ship were

clean and comfy.

POOL AREA

The POOLS are starting to look a bit shabby but the water was fresh chlorinated water.What we thought was strange was no supply of pool towels.You brought the one from your cabin.....so that was it for the day keep or lose it until your cabin steward cleaned your room....different but you get used to it...no big deal.

BAR SEVICE

At first I thought this is terrible no waiters asking you if you would like a drink....they just walk around looking disinterested....not so all you do is ask them...unlike other lines with waiters who besige with request for drinks because of add on tax..the more they sell the more they make.Its not hard to get off your butt and go to the bar yourself and get one.THE OASIS is a waste of great space and although we had good weather it was not patronised.I think it will go unless they

lower the cost.Another thing which people might object to is no receipts for drinks purchased which I thought strange.

PORTS OF CALL

Noumea.....the least said the better for me.

Lifou....beautiful, snorkeled and climbed that rotten hill to the church....never again....but well worth the view and a lovely church with its resident spiders.

VILA...we all love ...traditional TUSKERS beer at the pub ....then shop.

PENTECOST...great snorkeling....and the land divers can have all to themselves...great to watch.Vey hot day.

Di And I had a fantastic time and cant wait to sail on her again in August for a special occassion cruise.

My finally comment...I would sail on the Jewel anytime....if P&O would lower the costs of 2 berth cabins.

Unfortunately....I doubt that will happen.Our thanks to Ross & Lesley we really enjoyed their company especially at dinner where we had many laughs.

Col & Di

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=The Fox&date=8-17-2010&text=Cruise No.27 :)&ship=Pacific Jewel

I had friends on the very early Jewel cruises and they were not impressed then...but since then it seems that lots of the teething issues have been sorted and the recent posts seem much more positive.

I am trying something new next time...I have read the reviews which are a bit off putting, "fashion police" and the "well bred and nearly dead" are not inspiring, but they had a great price for taking the grand children so I will let you all know when we get back.

I've also heard that the teething issues have been sorted out lately, so thats something I guess!

Who you listen to is up to you. I tend to listen to the moaners - but listen more carefully to those who saw their glass as half-full.

I'm exactly the same, and I find it to be a fantastic frame of mind. I like to remember that, out of 2000 passengers, only one or two normally have negative things to say.

Hope my review of the jEWEL HELPS

my previous posts you probally know that i am not a big fan of P&O Australia.

From some of the reviews about the jewel,most which were scathing I was really worried about sailing on her and at one stage even considered cancelling. I am certainly glad I didn,t.

I went onboard I supose with and open mind but apprehensive from some of the reviews I read...one called it the cruise from hell,another described the food in the buffet as slop...just curries and stews,shows terrible,circus a joke...not the greatest comments to have you over enthusastic before you board.

Here is my views and observations

Loved the review; I actually read it earlier somewhere else. It's also relieving to know that someone who has cruised on the Dawn Princess has also thoroughly enjoyed cruising with P&O. I always run into reviews where the two ships (Dawn Princess and Pacific Dawn/Jewel) are compared and contrasted, leaving P&O's ships looking underwhelming. Glad to see that that's not necessarily the case.

I don't think it can always be put down to different expectations or people who are bigger wihingers than others.

On these cruises, there are often about 2000 passengers and maybe 600 staff?

I know on our cruise last year, I met a woman who was having a miserable time when dining. They had been allocated a table where the waiters were downright rude at times and had a couldn't care less attitude the rest of the time. This woman was a regular cruiser and was stunned as it wasn't anything like she had ever experienced.

But here's the thing. It wasn't anything like what we were experiencing either! We were in a different dining room to her and our waiters were excellent, cheeky, had a sense of fun and a laugh. Couldn't have been more helpful.

We were on Sun Princess, we will be going on Pacific Dawn soon.

I have read mixed reviews but we will just go along and do our best to have a good time.

I think a lot depends on the individual staff you deal with though, and my guess is things could even differ from cruise to cruise a bit.

I have also read mixed reviews about Pacific Jewel (as I had about Pacific Sun before I cruised on her). I don't care what others think, I am going with an open mind & I'm going to enjoy it ( as I have done with my other cruises). And I think that is the key...........go with an open mind:)

I know on our cruise last year, I met a woman who was having a miserable time when dining. They had been allocated a table where the waiters were downright rude at times and had a couldn't care less attitude the rest of the time. This woman was a regular cruiser and was stunned as it wasn't anything like she had ever experienced.

But here's the thing. It wasn't anything like what we were experiencing either! We were in a different dining room to her and our waiters were excellent, cheeky, had a sense of fun and a laugh. Couldn't have been more helpful.

An interesting situation....

She should not have to put up with that.

We have been told that if you ever find yourself at a table that is not suitable...ie bad staff, of difficult table companions, just go to the Maitre de, and ask to be changed.

Dont put up with it thinking it will get better, as it wont.

If they will not change your table, then go to the pursers desk and explain the situation and that should do the trick.

Remember the cruise line do want unhappy passengers and should be able to change things around for you.

You are probably right, kiwi kruzer.

The woman told me she thought it must be because one of their friends had special dietary needs as she was coeliac and couldn't eat wheat products. The lady involved had told the cruise company before the cruise, in the personaliser section I think it is, but apparently it caused a lot of problems.

But she was amazed when I explained that one of the women in our group also had the same condition and the maitre de came over to our table each evening and took her order for the next night, was charming. It wasn't a problem in our section at all, in fact my friend could not have been more impressed with how they looked after her.

It's funny how both women were on the same ship, same cruise, and had such different experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everybody has their special hates. I have cruised on all of Princess ships that sail out of Sydney and even on HAL ships out of Vancouver and have no problems with smell, noise bad staff, bad entertainment or complaints about our cabin. So some people are very hard to please.

Some people are just not happy unless they have something to complain about. Others want the world for nothing.

We used to make a joke about that....

Some cruise lines realise that some folk just are not happy unless they are complaining,

so they organise for a few little things to go wrong , and that keeps everyone happy:D:D

Archived