Early Embarkation - What time to arrive?

John73

I'm arriving the day before my cruise departure. I'm booked in AQ class which apparently has early Embarkation priviliges. What time shoud I plan to arrive at the pier?

When embarkation begins, suite guests board first, followed by AQ, CC, Elites and the rest. Normally, boarding begins about 11 am but it is sometimes delayed by unforeseen events (read the worst disembarkation ever).

I'm arriving the day before my cruise departure. I'm booked in AQ class which apparently has early Embarkation priviliges. What time shoud I plan to arrive at the pier?

Hi Mike,:) actually depending on how empty/full the pier is would depend

on how early you can board the ship. AQ, Suite Pax, Elite pax, regular

pax, etc all have lines.

If, for example, the AQ line is busy but the regular line is open? I would

say just go to the open line first;):D

I have boarded before noon many times.

official boarding time is usually mid afternoon. We've usually arrived at the pier around noon and boarding has been underway. Earliest it will begin is around 11, but do be aware that sometimes if you arrive real early things are not yet organized for arrivals and embarkation. For example if you arrive while passengers are disembarking you may find no porters available yet to take your luggage. Worse yet we boarded very early once and they weren't passing out the welcome aboard champagne yet!:eek: So we stopped by the gangway later on to get a glass:D.

If you do board early you will find that you'll be directed to the buffet area. Staterooms are usually not available until 1PM, but you do have full access to the public areas of the ship. Some people will drop their carry-on in their cabin before they are ready but if you try this be aware that if the door to the cabin is open you shouldn't close it as it means the staff is still prepping the rooms and various staff will need quick access until the process is over so your items will not be secured. Also check with your room steward to make sure it is OK and they are aware - they might not have "cleared" the room from the last occupant yet and might think the items were left behind by the prior occupants.

Whatever the class has been, my husband & I feel that the early bird catches the best worm!!! We've always arrived VERY early (even if it meant waiting for a couple of hours or more. We've actually been passengers #1 & #2 on 2 different cruise lines. Generally, the different processing booths are designated according to "cabin" classes, but there's never been a distinction between passengers who have more expensive cabins vs. less expensive being able to board first....maybe Celebrity processes differently?

We used to get to the terminal early but have given up the practice. Now we show up around 1 and have no lines to deal with or other frustrations with boarding. We will be on the boat for the next 14 days so being on for an extra hour or two doesn't seem that important any more.

To each his own!

We used to get to the terminal early but have given up the practice. Now we show up around 1 and have no lines to deal with or other frustrations with boarding. We will be on the boat for the next 14 days so being on for an extra hour or two doesn't seem that important any more.

To each his own!

Hi,:) you are 100% correct, to each their own:D I enjoy boarding early

because if they let me on the ship then I love the extra hour or 2.

Lines? I have been there where they were no lines:). When I boarded

SUMMIT in January all the lines were either moving fast or empty:D

Got there at 11 and was on the thip within 15 minutes..this was in

San Juan.

Last month out of Port Liberty? Same thing....got in line, got taken

care of and they have a shuttle from the check-in area to the ship.

Was on board in the 11:00 range.

Personally, I would rather wait at the pier than at the hotel on sail day

:):).

We almost always either come in the day before or we book cruise air if we need to fly out the same day/the red eye. One time we arrived at FLL at 10:30 am and proceeded straight to the terminal at the pier, it was the first cruise of the season, and unfortunatly for us, we had to wait in line with about another 800 PAX, not fun :(, we did not get onboard until 1:30pm, 3 hours in the hot florida sun was not ideal, but definatly taught us a valueable lesson!

Kinda depends, DWTB is a diabetic , so hot weather conditions are not ideal for her, especially with lack of facilities and access to the forementioned. Due to our last little learning experience we are going to er on the safe side and just opt for a later check out.

Lois R brings up a good point; a lot of people sometimes insist on waiting in their respective lines, sometimes this is not an advantage. Especially once embarkation number system has been exhausted (if there is a backlog of PAX waiting to get onboard), people are just let on as the check in. On our last X cruise, the "normal" line was a lot shorter than the suite one, they were actually directing PAX to the other lines to move things along, the real perks really begin after embarkation unless you are a keener and there early.

Hi,:) you are 100% correct, to each their own:D I enjoy boarding early

because if they let me on the ship then I love the extra hour or 2.

Lines? I have been there where they were no lines:). When I boarded

SUMMIT in January all the lines were either moving fast or empty:D

Got there at 11 and was on the thip within 15 minutes..this was in

San Juan.

Last month out of Port Liberty? Same thing....got in line, got taken

care of and they have a shuttle from the check-in area to the ship.

Was on board in the 11:00 range.

Personally, I would rather wait at the pier than at the hotel on sail day

:):).

What do folks see as an advantage of getting on the boat before everyone else,besides the fact that it would be cool to be #1 or #2.

TIA,

B.

What do folks see as an advantage of getting on the boat before everyone else,besides the fact that it would be cool to be #1 or #2.

TIA,

B.

Hi,:) if you are asking me why I prefer to board the ship early?

Why? Because I am starting a wonderful vacation and I arrive in the city

I am sailing out of a day early. I will be at the hotel the morning of my

cruise and instead of waiting in the lobby (as nice as that may be)

I prefer waiting at the pier:)

Why? Because the sooner I board the closer I know we are to

sailing:)

Why? Because I love being on the ship:)

I can't give you answers for other folks...oh and for it being

cool? That is ok too:D

TIA,

B.

There isn't much of an "advantage", it is just if you enjoy spending the time on board!

A few things do come to mind:

- Increased potential for getting luggage early so you can be all unpacked well before sail-away.

- Relaxing lunch on board

- Time to explore the ship - we're always anxious to do this for ships that are new to us.

- If you need to make reservations for limited space events, like Spa Appointments on sea days, you can get first shot at these

But for the most part it is all about starting our cruise ASAP and enjoying the extra time to settle into the ship.

Only once can I recall not taking advantage of the time on board and that was when sailing out of Barcelona on a ship we'd been on several times before. We checked in and stowed our carry-ons on board early. While on our way to lunch in the buffet we started talking about the wonderful lunch we had the day before at a great Tapas Bar with a nice bottle of Cava... we were in a cab headed there 10 minutes later and returned on board after lunch.

There isn't much of an "advantage", it is just if you enjoy spending the time on board!

A few things do come to mind:

- Increased potential for getting luggage early so you can be all unpacked well before sail-away.

- Relaxing lunch on board

- Time to explore the ship - we're always anxious to do this for ships that are new to us.

- If you need to make reservations for limited space events, like Spa Appointments on sea days, you can get first shot at these

But for the most part it is all about starting our cruise ASAP and enjoying the extra time to settle into the ship.

Only once can I recall not taking advantage of the time on board and that was when sailing out of Barcelona on a ship we'd been on several times before. We checked in and stowed our carry-ons on board early. While on our way to lunch in the buffet we started talking about the wonderful lunch we had the day before at a great Tapas Bar with a nice bottle of Cava... we were in a cab headed there 10 minutes later and returned on board after lunch.

Oh yes, exploring the ship...I ALWAYS do that too:D:)

Maybe one of these days I will meet you and Susie!

Hi,:) if you are asking me why I prefer to board the ship early?

Why? Because I am starting a wonderful vacation and I arrive in the city

I am sailing out of a day early. I will be at the hotel the morning of my

cruise and instead of waiting in the lobby (as nice as that may be)

I prefer waiting at the pier:)

Why? Because the sooner I board the closer I know we are to

sailing:)

Why? Because I love being on the ship:)

We agree 100%. The sooner we get on the ship, the sooner our wonderful cruise vacation begins! We usually get to the pier between 11 am and noon and usually are on board within 15 minutes.

Hi,:) if you are asking me why I prefer to board the ship early? Why? Because I am starting a wonderful vacation and I arrive in the city I am sailing out of a day early. I will be at the hotel the morning of my cruise and instead of waiting in the lobby (as nice as that may be) I prefer waiting at the pier:)Why? Because the sooner I board the closer I know we are tosailing:) Why? Because I love being on the ship:)

I agree 100% with all of your statements...particularly "love being on the ship".

How about boarding in San Juan? We have never left from there - with such a late departure time. How early can you get on the ship? We will be coming from a hotel (not sure which one yet). Is there lunch available when we board - like the ships that have 5:00 departure? What about dinner?

How about boarding in San Juan? We have never left from there - with such a late departure time. How early can you get on the ship? We will be coming from a hotel (not sure which one yet). Is there lunch available when we board - like the ships that have 5:00 departure? What about dinner?

Even in San Juan, you can board in the noon hour. No worries, they

will be feeding you lunch and dinner:):D:)

I have sailed from there 4 different times over the years and am usually

on board around 12:)

We also like getting on early. First stop: MDR to check our table. The next stop is often the HW on duty to CHANGE our table! We then head to a wine and dine station to buy our package. (we don't usually do this on line since we'd rather use OBC than CC.) Quick lunch. We also usually have a swim suit in our carry on and hit the pool during sail away after changing in a public RR since cabins aren't open for a few hours.

Also, did anyone notice Xellent's signature? B2B cruises on FOUR DIFFERENT SHIPS!!! He (She)'s my idol!

With reference to the "Worst Disembarkation Ever" thread, wouldn't the simple solution to the complaint of the ship's crew being pre-occupied with getting ready for the new guests, and therefore ignoring the ones who are disembarking, be to actually enforce/abide by their posted ship boarding times?

This would reduce the stress levels for the staff and allow those "past" guests the ability to leave without the sense of the "bum's rush" that has been expressed by many. The anticipation for the new guests would make them less irritable in having to wait to embark than what appears to be a common complaint across many cruise lines in alienating passengers who have just completed their cruises.

Too simple to actually work?

We will be flying in day of cruise as we took cruise & fly from Newark to San Juan. Do not yet have the flight schedule but it is probably safe to say we will be arriving in San Juan rather late; maybe after 4pm. Will this give us enough time to board for 8:30 departure. I've been looking at many flight options and nothing seems to arrive there before late afternoon due to stopovers. There is a direct flight with a known carrier but I doubt our flight will be a direct flight as price is included in this pkg. even out of Miami so probably picking up passengers there as well...:eek:

We will be flying in day of cruise as we took cruise & fly from Newark to San Juan. Do not yet have the flight schedule but it is probably safe to say we will be arriving in San Juan rather late; maybe after 4pm. Will this give us enough time to board for 8:30 departure. I've been looking at many flight options and nothing seems to arrive there before late afternoon due to stopovers. There is a direct flight with a known carrier but I doubt our flight will be a direct flight as price is included in this pkg. even out of Miami so probably picking up passengers there as well...:eek:

The reason the ships sail late out of San Juan is because flights from most of the USA mainland arrive there later in the day. With that said we always fly in at least a day early which I'd recommend at any port let alone one so far away and in the winter time. It would be awful if a storm in your area, or every across the country, delayed flights that day and you missed your cruise.

If you must arrive the day of the cruise you can increase your chances by taking a direct flight. If you're booking through Celebrity I'd take advantage of their Custom Air where you can select your flights on your own or from selection they'll offer you. There is an extra charge for this service (I think it is $50/pp) which is waived if you are a Captains Club member (prior cruiser). If this is your first Celebrity cruise but you have 5 or more RCCL cruises you can get reciprical membership in the Celebrity Club by calling them directly.

We like boarding early, We sailed Solstice on 6/13. We arrived at the pier at 10:30 and were told normally boarding starts around 11am. That day the power went off in customs and the previous cruise could not disembark, also the Coast Guard showed up for an impromptu inspection....(see worse disembarkation ever thread)......bottom line we got on at 1:30 had to sit in the terminal a little longer but who cares....after 7 days on the Solstice all of the positives made us forget about that little snafu in the terminal!

Hasn't Xcellent been on over 100 X cruises or am I mistaken?

Over 100! Holy smokes! That's a lot of cruising. I wonder if I'll get hooked enough that I'll ever reach that number.

'course, by the same token I never thought I'd fly over 100k miles in a year. I'm already up to a bit over 120k so far this year and it's been 99.9% pleasure travel on my own dime.

Archived