Permission Letter If Only One Parent Is Going?

GTO-Girl

We are booked on the Dream for May of 2011. We have 2 cabins, one for my husband and I.....and one for my daughter and our 2 granddaughters.

Since my son-in-law is not going to be able to go, will we need a notarized permission letter stating he knows about the trip?

Yes, I think if you look on the DCL website their is even a form that you will have to fill out. You are taking minors that you have no "legal" rights to outside of the country.

You may also want to get a copy of their medical insurance cards. Just in the rare case you need them for something.

I had to get a notary document when my wife took our kids to Canada and I didn't go.

I knew to get the permission letter & insurance cards when we took our granddaughter by ourselves (grandparents) a couple of years ago

But in this case the children's mother (our daughter) will be going too, just not the children's father. (he's a teacher & will not be out of school yet)..... so I didn't know if my daughter would need something from her own husband stating she was taking them.

I knew to get the permission letter & insurance cards when we took our granddaughter by ourselves (grandparents) a couple of years ago

But in this case the children's mother (our daughter) will be going too, just not the children's father. (he's a teacher & will not be out of school yet)..... so I didn't know if my daughter would need something from her own husband stating she was taking them.

Yes, she would. There is a form on the online check in portion of the DCL site that must be downloaded and signed (and I think notarized.)

I am traveling with my stepdaughter(with her father) and I found this on my check in page.

this is from dcl's website

Minors Authorization – Fill out this form if you are traveling with a child of whom you are not the parent or legal guardian. The Minor Authorization form must be notarized

IBut in this case the children's mother (our daughter) will be going too, just not the children's father. (he's a teacher & will not be out of school yet)..... so I didn't know if my daughter would need something from her own husband stating she was taking them.

As I stated in my last line, I had to get a notarized form signed for my wife to take the kids to Canada. Customs / border patrol don't know the marriage "status" so they don't know if my wife was "sneaking" out of the country with our kids.

I would recommend the dad to get a form signed and notarized acknowledging the kids are being taken out of the country. Better to be safe than delayed or refused to board.

I would call and ask. I don't see why she would need one. The excerpt Mushu posted says you need it if you are not the parent or legal guardian, but their mother will be there. How would they know if there's even a father at home? She could be a widow and there would be no other parent to give permission. She could also be divorced and have sole custody, again with nobody else to sign. I doubt she'd need one.

I would call and ask. I don't see why she would need one. The excerpt Mushu posted says you need it if you are not the parent or legal guardian, but their mother will be there. How would they know if there's even a father at home? She could be a widow and there would be no other parent to give permission. She could also be divorced and have sole custody, again with nobody else to sign. I doubt she'd need one.

Just an FYI if the mother is a widow then she must prove that. She would need a copy of the death certificate. Really. If she doesn't produce it they can deny her access to the ship. If a mother has full custody and father has no rights she must produce a copy of the courts orders to take the child out of the country.

If just the mom is traveling they can and most likely will ask for a letter from the father. She needs a document stating that she can take the children out of the country. The father has to sign it and it has to be notarized. If she decides to skip this and they ask they can refuse to allow her to board the ship.

I didn't have to download the form from dcl until I unpicked not traveling with parent/legal guardian, so I don't see why they would want proof if you don't have to download form when you choose the parent/legal guardian option. Also my stepdaughter had to get a letter notarized from her dad to get a passport issued. I assume that dcl knows that you can't get a passport without both parents knowing . But to have piece of mind I'm getting the letter printed and notarized it's only $3

It has nothing to do with DCL, it is the customs officials that require these documents. They may or may not ask for them.

I flew with my daughter from Toronto to Houston once to meet my husband who was there on business and I was asked for a letter from my husband (her father) giving permission to travel with her. I didn't have the letter because it didn't even occur to me since I was meeting him there. They let me go but said to make sure to have a letter in the future.

It has nothing to do with DCL, it is the customs officials that require these documents. They may or may not ask for them.

I flew with my daughter from Toronto to Houston once to meet my husband who was there on business and I was asked for a letter from my husband (her father) giving permission to travel with her. I didn't have the letter because it didn't even occur to me since I was meeting him there. They let me go but said to make sure to have a letter in the future.

I've noticed in both post they involved Canada has anyone had this experience when not traveling to or from Canada?

GTO - Girl;

I am a little late posting but just in the off chance you are Canadian, a letter notorized from the father is very important for Canadian Immigration.

Being a blended family we have been stopped by Canadian Border Services when returning to Canada. Go figure. We were allowed to leave the country but Canadian Border Services raised a stink when we returned.

The officer stated (I am not sure if this is actually true or a scare tactic) that my wife could be charged with illegally taking a minor out of the country.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm a divorced mom traveling w/ my only child - when we did DCL in Oct '07 we only had the birth certificate & no notarized form the father signed

i was not asked about the father or any permission @ that time

the minor still doesnt have a passport & I double-checked the birth cert only is still acceptable

when i read the form today this is the exact wording stated for use: "THIS FORM MUST BE COMPLETED FOR MINORS UNDER AGE 18 TRAVELING WITHOUT THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN"

Neither of those scenarios apply in my case

As a mom who never changed her name who frequently cruises with kids as a solo parent, I've been asked to prove that I am the legal parent of my child even with passports, despite calling the cruise line and being assured that I will not have problems in the port.

When I travel with my kids, I always bring a birth certificate as that proves I am their parent--even though it is unnecessary because we have passports.

I also have my husband/their father sign a letter and have it notarized that he is aware of the trip and gives his permission to take the minor child(ren) out of the USA.

I've been challenged for parental documentation on all cruise lines so far, except for DCL. Its not the reservation center--its the person at the counter who checks you in who is going to ask.

Although there's a form with DCL and everyone's situation is not the same, I would advise erring on the side of caution and preparing a letter for the other parent to sign. Most banks will notarize at no cost, as I found out while driving to the airport for a RCCL cruise two weeks ago because I forgot my letter. (We typed one up quickly and found an open bank on a Saturday and ran in there to get it signed/notarized.) And wouldn't you know, RCCL said I didn't need anything when I called them, but the guy at the port insisted that I prove that the child was mine and I had permission to take her on the cruise.

Personally I don't care what the cruise line tells me about traveling with minor kids and documentation. What counts is what happens at the port, and after being asked to provide documentation by three different cruise lines I will always be prepared for a problem because I am getting on that ship with my minor child.

FWIW.

I had my son's father sign one with a notary giving me permission to take him out of the country and to get medical care for him if needed.

I was never asked by anyone to show the paperwork.

However, I would never have gone without it because from what I here, it can prevent you from boarding if they do ask for it and you don't have it.

My credit union and some banks offer the notary service for free.

GTO - Girl;

I am a little late posting but just in the off chance you are Canadian, a letter notorized from the father is very important for Canadian Immigration.

Being a blended family we have been stopped by Canadian Border Services when returning to Canada. Go figure. We were allowed to leave the country but Canadian Border Services raised a stink when we returned.

The officer stated (I am not sure if this is actually true or a scare tactic) that my wife could be charged with illegally taking a minor out of the country.

I agree with KlattuBarada that Canadian Border Serice checks your custody documents every time. I've never been asked anything when I enter the other countries, however every time returning home, we are questioned by the Canadian custom.

Generally on cruises there is not a problem since most of the time the laws are concerned about being in a country for more than 24 hours. Remember, that the cruise line is not following their regulations but the laws of the countries you will be visiting. The best bet is to find out what the cruise line requires and get it in writing. Comply with the requirements and bring the letter stating what you need.

Those who wrote about Canada are absolutely correct and Mexico is the same. Remember, many have written of their experiences but all it takes is one over officious jerk to wreck your vacation. Also, remember on land vacations that foreign courts have no obligation to follow US court orders. (custody,etc.)

Also, a passport is not permission to leave the country....

Again, generally on a cruise you don't have a problem...

What do you folks think? My son's father is not listed on the birth certificate and has chosen not to be involved. If I take his birth certificate with me and it has only me as the mother and no father listed, do you think I will be ok?

I couldn't imagine trying to figure out where his father lives and get permission. And for that matter, I could have any person on the street sign a paper saying they were his father and gave permission, since nobody is listed as his father on the birth certificate.

Will I be ok since I'm the only parent on the birth certificate?

• 1 month later...

I am divorced, and took my children to mexico last summer. I did have the notarized form from their father but they never asked for it. I do have the same last night as the children (I think it becomes an issue when your last names are different.)

I also just returned from a July cruise on the RC Oasis with just me and my children, did not take a form, and was never asked for it.

I just wrote to my travel agent asking about the Disney Crusie line form (we are sailing in Nov) and she said it's only necessary if neither parent is going with the child.

Again, I think the child having the same last name as you is a big factor. If last names are different, you definitely want to to have some form of proof that it is your child.

GTO - Girl;

I'm not Canadian........I'm from the Deep South......complete with the "Hey Ya'll" Southern accent.......:D.

Sorry....couldn't resist......;)

I am divorced, and took my children to mexico last summer. I did have the notarized form from their father but they never asked for it. I do have the same last night as the children (I think it becomes an issue when your last names are different.)

I also just returned from a July cruise on the RC Oasis with just me and my children, did not take a form, and was never asked for it.

I just wrote to my travel agent asking about the Disney Crusie line form (we are sailing in Nov) and she said it's only necessary if neither parent is going with the child.

Again, I think the child having the same last name as you is a big factor. If last names are different, you definitely want to to have some form of proof that it is your child.

I just returned from a 5 day cruise with my step daughter and her father and she has a different last name than us and we had no problem. We were never asked for a letter but I did bring it just in case

I always sail alone with my daughter. I have never been asked for a notarized letter from her father granting permission for her travel out of the states, yet I always have one as backup just in case.

Over 50 cruises together and we were never questioned, but it only takes that one time. It can ruin a vacation. Better to be prepared.

Archived