How Comfortable is the Sofa Bed?

Peggy Sue

We've booked an S suite on the Zaandam (Alaska) We've invited my dad along so there will be 3 of us in the suite. My dad is 75. Comments on the comfort of the pull out sofa? I know kids can sleep almost anywhere and find it comfortable..any adults out there with any experience sleeping on the sofa bed in an S suite?

Thanks!

It is not that great - as an adult, I would never be able to sleep on it, and though my kids did ok with it - they complained. When we have an outside quad, our daughter takes the one upper berth and our son takes the sofa bed, but does not make it into the bed. He thinks its far more comfortable left as a sofa than made into the bed. The cabin steward is always great about setting this up for him - he puts a sheet over the sofa surface, adds another top sheet then a light blanket.

We were in an Suite on the Zui in 2003, the kids both complained about the metal bar on the bed. The cabin steward gave us extra blankets to put on top of the mattress for extra cushioning. Another idea is to request the "egg crate" to go on top of the sofa bed, that may help.

before she went into drydock. We had S026 traveling with 2 adult daughters who slept on the sofa bed. They slept on it for 11 days and said it was fine, especially with the new bedding. The king size was like sleeping on a cloud, just grand!

Last summer my adult son slept on the single sofa bed in in "A" cabin, and never complained, but I thought it was a bit small and hard. He was on with us for 17 days of a 34 day cruise so "A" was a bit crowded but the "S" suited the 4 of us without any problem or crowding, no compromise of storage space either.

GN

Don't know if this would help, but on other cruiselines, you can request an egg crate to put on top of the mattress.

However, if I were taking my Dad, I would consider getting an SS for DH and myself (not sure if these are available on the ZAAN) and get something smaller for my Dad. Two bathrooms and privacy are worth the extra this arrangement may cost.

I thought the sofas in the suites we've been in were not very comfortable to sit on and thought perhaps it was a compromise and they possibly couid be comortable to sleep on when converted to a bed. Apparently that may not be the case.

We never had the need to have the sofa converted to a bed so have no first-hand knowledge there. I considered that if we had a child in the room it might be more comfortable and convenient to leave the sofa closed and let him or her just sleep on the sofa. That plan may or may nor work for an adult.

This may be a stupid question, but for those of you who have used the sofa bed, did the room steward make it back in to a sofa every morning? We will be doing this in April and I am not sure if we will need to ask him to do this or if he will do it automatically?

This may be a stupid question, but for those of you who have used the sofa bed, did the room steward make it back in to a sofa every morning? We will be doing this in April and I am not sure if we will need to ask him to do this or if he will do it automatically?

If he doesn't - just ask and he will. Some people like to keep it out as a bed for napping, but we had ours put back as a sofa so we'd have more room in the cabin. Also, my DH had no problem putting it back into the sofa position too.

I've slept on the sofa bed on both the Zuiderdam and the Volendam, and found it very comfortable. On the Zuiderdam I had it made into a bed since we had an SS suite, but left it as a sofa on the Volendam, since we just had a mini suite. Either way, I was very comfortable. And yes, the steward will turn it back into a sofa every morning.

Archived