EPIC Lifeboats

Bgem75

In drooling over all the pics, I came up with a question.

I count 20 lifeboats on the epic. They do look rather large. Does anyone know how many people they would hold?

I was thinging approx 4200 passengers on board at anytime then add in crew:eek:

That is alot of people for 20 lifeboats. Not that I am worried. Just purely curious.;)

Bear in mind that the lifeboats are reserved for the passengers and the inflatable rafts are for the crew. There are a ton of the inflatable cannisters located in several places around the ship, from the pictures I have seen.

And I would assume her lifeboats are really large models, not quite as big as those on Oasis', but larger than normal.

Same as Oasis 350 pax. The rescue craft hold 16 crew plus 334 pax each x 20 = 320 crew + 6880 pax at full capacity. There is also food on board for at least 3 days (think army rations vacuum packed items). These are dropped into the sea not lowered (although they are lowered to a reasonable height for dropping (7 story drops are not conducive to survival).

The lifeboats will fit all the passengers. No worries. Besides, the water will be warm in the caribbean in July in case I fall out. :)

I'm cruising in Sept...so I don't think I'd need a life boat...that won't save me from a hurricane any how. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Same as Oasis 350 pax. The rescue craft hold 16 crew plus 334 pax each x 20 = 320 crew + 6880 pax at full capacity. There is also food on board for at least 3 days (think army rations vacuum packed items). These are dropped into the sea not lowered (although they are lowered to a reasonable height for dropping (7 story drops are not conducive to survival).

They are actually smaller than those fitted on OASIS. The following excerpt was taken from the NCL EPIC blog. Looking at the lifeboats, they look smaller than those on OASIS, but they sure are cuter! LOL. I love the red and white look. That is unique in the industry and it adds color to EPIC's profile.

It's true they are loaded in their stored position then lowered when full. This is the trend with many new ships being built today, but the tradeoff is often the loss of a true, open promenade deck. None the less it's much faster and safer than the more typical fashion, which is to lower the boat one deck to the promenade deck, secure them alongside, load them, then continue lowering the boat to the water.

Ernie

This week, the 20 main lifeboats were installed on both sides of Norwegian Epic, in preparation for the second sea trials which will be held in April. The crafts are of a totally new design. Bright and comfortable, they are able to accommodate up to 293 passengers, and even four wheelchairs when used for shore excursions. The craft launching system has also been enhanced to simplify passenger embarkation. The STX crew continues to test all operations and prepare for the April sea trials.

They are actually smaller than those fitted on OASIS. The following excerpt was taken from the NCL EPIC blog. Looking at the lifeboats, they look smaller than those on OASIS, but they sure are cuter! LOL. I love the red and white look. That is unique in the industry and it adds color to EPIC's profile.

It's true they are loaded in their stored position then lowered when full. This is the trend with many new ships being built today, but the tradeoff is often the loss of a true, open promenade deck. None the less it's much faster and safer than the more typical fashion, which is to lower the boat one deck to the promenade deck, secure them alongside, load them, then continue lowering the boat to the water.

Ernie

ok 293 x 20 = 5860. There will still be 16 crew at least on board as well to run the craft. I like the fact that they have an area built to hold wheelchairs.

Archived