NYC departure - tough finding hotels on 9/11

charleysmom

We're leaving on a cruise out of Manhattan on 9/12 and looking at coming into the City the day before for touring and a show. Seems like a lot of the hotels are sold out that night or prices are at their peak, or I'm seeing multi-night minimums. I assume there are an assortment of memorial events going on, but other than that, is there something unusual going on in the City that weekend?

Any suggestions for the Times Square area? There are 5 of us including my Mom who is 89 and my teen-aged daughter for any difference that might make.

Thanks!!

Ann

We're leaving on a cruise out of Manhattan on 9/12 and looking at coming into the City the day before for touring and a show. Seems like a lot of the hotels are sold out that night or prices are at their peak, or I'm seeing multi-night minimums. I assume there are an assortment of memorial events going on, but other than that, is there something unusual going on in the City that weekend?

Any suggestions for the Times Square area? There are 5 of us including my Mom who is 89 and my teen-aged daughter for any difference that might make.

Thanks!!

Ann

Are you driving? You could always stay in NJ. Drive to one of the "park and rides"-Secaucus Junction (train station), Journal Square (easy parking) or even to WalMart in Secaucus to catch the bus into NYC for sightseeing.

Embassy Suites in the Meadowlands has a park and cruise/park and sightsee package, special rates for those 62 and over. One of the two room/2 bed EXECUTIVE suites with pull out sofa would work pretty well. Put your Mom and the two kids in the bedroom and the two of you sleep on the sofa bed. About $300 for all per night including transport TO the cruise terminal (doesn't say you get transport BACK after the cruise)

https://secure.hilton.com/en/es/res/choose_rates.jhtml;jsessionid=TSUV2RPMECQQOCSGBJBNMQQ?_requestid=96974

Thanks, but we really want to stay in Manhattan. We're actually my Mom, my sister, husband, daughter and myself. Not Grandmom and two kids. So 4 adults and one kid. My husband and daughter are not cruising, but will be providing "chauffeur" service to and from the terminal for us.

We are celebrating my 50th birthday and the NYC day/night is a big part of it. On the other hand, we'll need two rooms for the 5 of us and with the cost of 5 Broadway tix and dinner (not to mention the cruise itself!), cost is a consideration. And on the third hand, it will be the first time my Mom has been in NYC in over 50 years. She thinks her one and only visit was in 1958! While we are City folks (live in downtown Philly), my Mom and sister are not so we are trying to be aware of how comfortable they will be in a particular area.

A.

Thanks, but we really want to stay in Manhattan. We're actually my Mom, my sister, husband, daughter and myself. Not Grandmom and two kids. So 4 adults and one kid. My husband and daughter are not cruising, but will be providing "chauffeur" service to and from the terminal for us.

We are celebrating my 50th birthday and the NYC day/night is a big part of it. On the other hand, we'll need two rooms for the 5 of us and with the cost of 5 Broadway tix and dinner (not to mention the cruise itself!), cost is a consideration. And on the third hand, it will be the first time my Mom has been in NYC in over 50 years. She thinks her one and only visit was in 1958! While we are City folks (live in downtown Philly), my Mom and sister are not so we are trying to be aware of how comfortable they will be in a particular area.

A.

You really don't have a lot of choices then. Minimum of $250-300 per night per room x 2 for most hotels on Hotwire. Embassy Suites NYC is sold out. With 09/11/10 on a Saturday, I am sure there will be more people in the City this year than when 9/11 is in the middle of the week. It will be an expensive birthday. Enjoy!!!

On Kayak.com through easyclicktravel.com the Bedford Hotel is showing at $208 + tax for 9/11 for 2 rooms and 5 people.

Thanks, have you stayed there? What's it like?

Based on what I've been seeing, I was hoping to stay under $350/room so $208 feels like a steal. Would love to find something independent (vs. Hilton or Marriott) but my sister may have some kind of points or status at one of those... I need to check. We looked at the French Quarter - which looked fantastic - but they were sold out.

Haven't stayed there, but it is very reasonable and the tripadvisor reviews are good - better than almost any other hotel in that price range. It's very centrally located near Grand Central Station.

I would make a decision soon - your choices will not improve with time. I also don't think that any kind of hotel points will really help you with a NY hotel at an already busy time.

They gave it a so-so review... but what a great resource! I've never seen that website before and it's fantastic. Thanks.

You're welcome. I love Oyster. I have to see lots of pics. ;)

I put in $250-350 on Oyster and it gave me several pages of availability for September 11-12. Check it out.

Depending on how mobile your mother is, you may want to suck it up and pay more money for a hotel right in Times Square.

On the other hand, you mention you DH acting as "chauffeur"; Are you planning to drive into the city? Parking is EXPENSIVE. BEfore booking any hotel; check their parking availablilty, etc.

Aloha,

John

Depending on how mobile your mother is, you may want to suck it up and pay more money for a hotel right in Times Square.

On the other hand, you mention you DH acting as "chauffeur"; Are you planning to drive into the city? Parking is EXPENSIVE. BEfore booking any hotel; check their parking availablilty, etc.

Aloha,

John

Yeppers... he's driving and we're planning on parking. Looking like $35 - 55 for the night. (Remember, the poor DH isn't cruising... he's dropping us and driving back to Philly to "babysit" the teenaged DD for a week! Yes, I will 'owe' him. On the other hand, he'd much rather deal with DD than 'dear' MIL :eek:)

Hilton Garden Times Square looks like a great option, but it's SOLD OUT. As are lots of others. Conventions? 9/11? September Saturday in the City? What's going on?

Some decent looking options in Murray Hill area and also Upper West Side... any thoughts on the cost of a cab for 5 to the Theatre District from there?

Thanks.

Yeppers... he's driving and we're planning on parking. Looking like $35 - 55 for the night. (Remember, the poor DH isn't cruising... he's dropping us and driving back to Philly to "babysit" the teenaged DD for a week! Yes, I will 'owe' him. On the other hand, he'd much rather deal with DD than 'dear' MIL :eek:)

Hilton Garden Times Square looks like a great option, but it's SOLD OUT. As are lots of others. Conventions? 9/11? September Saturday in the City? What's going on?

Some decent looking options in Murray Hill area and also Upper West Side... any thoughts on the cost of a cab for 5 to the Theatre District from there?

Thanks.

Mercedes Benz Fashion week for one and it is peak season.

You can walk to the theater district from Murray Hill and the UWS. Or from Murray Hill take the Lex line subway to Grand Central, switch to the Shuttle (grey circle with a white "S") to Times Square. From UWS take the 2.3 red line to Times Square.

Cabs cannot legally take five people and will not take them. Every once in a while you'll find a minivan but not often.

It is much faster to take the subway.

Mercedes Benz Fashion week for one and it is peak season.

You can walk to the theater district from Murray Hill and the UWS. Or from Murray Hill take the Lex line subway to Grand Central, switch to the Shuttle (grey circle with a white "S") to Times Square. From UWS take the 2.3 red line to Times Square.

Cabs cannot legally take five people and will not take them. Every once in a while you'll find a minivan but not often.

It is much faster to take the subway.

Fashion Week? Like Fashion Week, Fashion Week?

Mom's got mobility problems so subway probably isn't an option (unless there are safe, unstinky elevators or an escalator... are there? Here in Philly it can be tough to get down to subway so I hadn't really considered it as an option, but maybe it is?). It's tough here to find a cab that can take 5. I sort of assumed we'd need two so was hoping for a short ride. And we'd probably need a cab even for a short ride... I can't imagine her walking more than a block or two. We're renting a wheelchair for the ship, but won't have anything in NYC.

Fashion week... jeez. I knew something had to be going on.

A.

I think I'm gonna need it. This is looking more and more like a $2,000 plus 24 hour trip and as much as we'd like to do it, that's awfully pricey. :(

I hear you. It's very easy to rack up the bucks in Manhattan, especially during your weekend, when hotel rooms are in such high demand. Couldn't find anything on Oyster that was doable?

Well, since DH is the official chauffeur, maybe he can just drop you off at the terminal on the 12th and you could visit again later?

If DH isn't up for that, you could Amtrak it (use AAA discount and Amex reward points, if applicable) and take a taxi to the terminal.

Hope it all works out. ;)

Fashion week and 9/11 memorial services have hotels booked, just 2 hotels to stay away from Hotel Pennsylvania and Roosevelt Hotel.- I rather stay at the Bates motel and risk getting stabbed in the shower than staying at either one. Nice in their heyday but went way down hill.

Alrana

Try Doubletree Suites. I put in Sept 11, 2010 and got some fantastic prices came up. Doubletree Chelsea $143; Doubletree Metro 139. Doubletree Times Square $303. This was directly from their site. Don't know which other nights you need. Fashion Week is going to be held in Lincoln Center this year, so the midtown properties near Bryant Park won't be utilized. As for 9/11 memorial, most of the victims were from the local area, so either people will be staying downtown Manhattan, or won't be needing a hotel. (Next year on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, I think will be extremely busy, jmo) Weekends in general, are less crowded in Manhattan because business people rarely stay the weekend.

Try Doubletree Suites. I put in Sept 11, 2010 and got some fantastic prices came up. Doubletree Chelsea $143; Doubletree Metro 139. Doubletree Times Square $303. This was directly from their site. Don't know which other nights you need. Fashion Week is going to be held in Lincoln Center this year, so the midtown properties near Bryant Park won't be utilized. As for 9/11 memorial, most of the victims were from the local area, so either people will be staying downtown Manhattan, or won't be needing a hotel. (Next year on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, I think will be extremely busy, jmo) Weekends in general, are less crowded in Manhattan because business people rarely stay the weekend.

Downtown properties are always booked because of the location for MBFW. The only 'hip' properties UWS are 60 Thompson and Mandarin Oriental.

Interesting... Doubletrees all popped up as sold out via the Hilton site. (They were listed as alternatives when I was checking the Hilton Gardens Times Square) Those are great rates. Will go check them out now!

Ok, I just checked Doubletree Times Square and got this:

We're sorry; there are no rooms available that meet your criteria at this hotel.

We recommend you try one of the options below:

- Try changing your dates or criteria and search again.

I thought it must be the 'two beds' requirement, but when I turned that off, I got the same thing. What website are you looking at?

Archived