Veendam Bermuda 6/13 - 6/20

Solo1959

What a great time!

My brother, sister-in-law and I took the cruise to Bermuda on the Veendam 6/13 – 6/20. It was perfect. Most important to consider, it's not so much the ship or the ports, it's the amazing people you meet while you are on board. The cruise would not have been the same without the people we spent our time with. An adorable newly wed couple from PA, the coolest couple from both West Virginia and also Cruise Critic! celebrating their 20th anniversary, an interesting young fellow from Brooklyn, and staff from the ship. It was the time of my life. Yes, I would take this cruise again. Next week if possible. I loved it.

The ship was quite beautiful. It is a medium-size ship and cozy. Accompanying us were the usual bevy of flying fish, a pod of approximately 15 dolphins off the bow, and a sea turtle. We docked directly at Hamilton; it was too windy to safely tender at St George.

Seas the first day were quite rough. But the ship was very stable. You could barely feel the ship moving under heavy seas. People sensitive to rough water did feel ill, and there is no worse feeling in the world, but, that ship handled the weather like a champ. A very comfortable ride.

Entertainment. The main showroom had spectacular singers. One guy was from New Orleans. He was so good. One of the singers was a top ten finalist from American Idol. One woman was in Rent. Another guy was so funny. He sings, dances, tells jokes, and he is good at all three, so well rounded, These shows are not to be missed. The live band that plays with them is great. Nothing like a live orchestra.

There was a covered/uncovered Lido Pool. This was the one swimming pool on the ship. It was equipped with two hot tubs. Here they offered a grill restaurant and a taco buffet every day. The band played here live poolside. The band was great. Not loud obnoxious music, just songs we are all familiar with played tastefully. There was a beautiful bar here. Plenty of lounge chairs and tables.

The Retreat on the Lido Deck aft was an active area. Here we found the pizza and a bar. The Retreat "pool" was a waste. It was in disrepair having loose and missing tiles. The lounge chair area had no water in it. It sure looked pretty though. And it probably sounds enticing in the brochures. But even on calm warm weather trips, it was useless. But the ship is stuck with it. So, let's make the best of it. It is a decent viewing location for the large screen television. The bar here was the place to go. It was one of the few outdoor smoking areas. There was a covered area with tables. The bar tender was fantastic. Service here was excellent. It was a place to socialize, have a drink, eat lunch and breakfast, and sit by the "pool."

The buffet was very nice. The food offered here was the same as that in the main dining room. Aside from the first confusing day, the lines moved quickly. There were stations on the line so you didn't have to start at the beginning of the line, just go to the food you wanted. The part that amazed me was the fresh fruits and vegetables. This time of year in New York where they get their provisions, fruits and vegies are out of season, But everything they served was fresh sweet and at its peak. Sweet juicy tomato, fresh squeezed orange juice like candy, delicious melons. I don't know how they did it.

The main dining room was pretty. There were big windows all around. A small classical group played music during dinner. The food was good, but hit or miss. One meal, the southwestern manicotti was perhaps the most delicious food I ever ate. However, the meat lasagne was terrible. People loved the lobster tail and said it was large, meaty and well prepared. The braised ribs got rave reviews. Service here could be slow. So was the wait on certain nights for the anytime dining. Portions were gigantic. Many other cruises the portions were tiny and you would order a second portion of another menu item. Be careful before you do that on the Veendam. One plate can be more than enough to finish.

Service in general was spectacular. The staff were genuinely friendly, helpful, extremely polite, smiling. It was real. It did not seem forced or fake. They were wonderful people. I have never encountered service like this before. It wasn't "a cut above," no, this was an entirely different level.

Staff also hangs out with the passengers. People from the show and the band, and the Cellar Master, Ron became our friends. I am so happy to have met these wonderful people. It turns out they are real people who just happen to work on a ship. They were very familiar. And really nice!!!

There were two problems I had with the ship itself. The first was with the elevators. Only two of the four forward elevators worked through most of the cruise, and only three of the four aft elevators were working. I was on A Deck, 4, and had some intense waits for the elevator. Elevators bypassed floors such that if you were on Deck 8 and pressed the button, the elevator would pass you by. This needs to be corrected. The second problem I encountered was a flooded bathroom in my cabin. It happened several times. There was clear water all over the floor, and puddles under the sink and toilet. The plumber came in, looked at it, said he didn't know where it was coming from and just left. Her didn't even have the water cleaned up. It wasn't attended to until the steward prepared the room for the night. I didn't bother complaining again. I told them about it. It's their problem. It's not my house. But it was not good.

Bermuda was perfect. So was docking in Hamilton. It was an easy ride to anywhere we wanted to go. Buses abounded. Fares were cheap. The ferry was just at the bow of the ship. We visited Horseshoe Bay, the caves, the Devil's Hole, and went to the Dockyard to swim with the Dolphins and Snorkel Park to ride jet ski's. There was plenty to do, the island was spotlessly clean, the Bermudians were welcoming and friendly to tourists. There was great shopping.

There was one local person who deserves special recognition. He is a local eye doctor. Sadly, I can't find his name among my papers, but I gave a bunch of his business cards to Damian the guy from the Shore Excursion Desk so he should be easy to find. The very first night out, at dinner, one of the lenses on my eyeglasses just popped out and shot across the table. I couldn't read anything at all. A local store owner directed me to this doctor. We walked into his office, I showed him my glasses, he said, "wait here a minute," and moments later he had my eye glasses fixed. He didn't charge me! And I offered to pay. If you need to see an eye doctor while in Bermuda, ask Damian for one of this doctor's business cards.

There is much more, but I will end here. It was the people that made this cruise a WOW! cruise. Any questions, I will be happy to answer.

Thanks for a great, detailed review. I'm sure you had a lot to do with meeting such wonderful friendly people :):):)- we've also found the Holland America crew to be the most kind and genuine of all the cruiselines we've been on.

One question, I didn't know the Veendam had a big screen in the aft of the ship- what was shown there?

'

Having been on this cruise the week prior to you, I am still suffering from post cruise depression. Your wonderful review helped me to relive our wonderful week on the Veendam.

I wonder what they will do with the aft pool. It is a waste of what could be productive space and they clearly aren't using it. I suspected the water I saw in it was only rain water, because there was so little of it and you have confirmed my suspicions.

Now it is your turn to have post cruise depression.;)

Thanks for your great review. We'll be on the Veendam next month & you just made us even more anxious to go! Now, what are we going to do to make the time pass quickly??? :)

One last question...were the Neptunes (jazz combo) still entertaining in the Ocean Bar?

what was shown there?

'

It was a loop of scenes below water. Fish, sharks, reefs. Very pretty. There was music in the back ground. But the volume was so low you could barely hear the TV.

They showed a couple of movies. One was the Michael Jackson movie, Mandella, and probably another one or two. You have to ask the bartender to raise the volume so you can hear it. Don't worry about blasting TV.

Somebody told me, and I think they were mistaken, that they played the show from the Main Showroom at night. I didn't see that and I actually looked for it. But I don't think she was lying to me. Maybe I missed it.

Having been on this cruise the week prior to you, I am still suffering from post cruise depression. Your wonderful review helped me to relive our wonderful week on the Veendam.

I wonder what they will do with the aft pool. It is a waste of what could be productive space and they clearly aren't using it. I suspected the water I saw in it was only rain water, because there was so little of it and you have confirmed my suspicions.

Now it is your turn to have post cruise depression.;)

PCD and also mal d'embarquement. Even though we had smooth as glass seas after leaving Bermuda, my room is rocking and the keyboard is getting away from me. Or is it a lack of Pina Colada....

On its next drydock refurb I bet you something is done with the Retreat. They can't put the pool back because there are rooms beneath it. Maybe rebuild it with taller sides so they can fill it deeper. Or get rid of the pool completely and make it all deck space. But even you and I must admit as I wrote, the relaxing adult retreat area at the stern served by a bar does sound enticing in the HAL advertisements. It probably is selling cruises for HAL right now, and will serve them well till they fix it.

Must I go back to work tomorrow? Will you approve my day off for me????

thanks for a wonderful review. We are going in September. Hoping to dock in Hamilton, like you. :)

You have made me even more excited!:D

We loved every moment of the cruise. If you are going in September, you will find the ocean water to be warmer and better for swimming than we had in June.

Last week the water was about 77 degrees (ooops, you're from Canada, what is 77 degrees in Canadian???). It was JUST warm enough after getting your toes wet and easing in. By September you will love it.

My cruise was the last cruise for the Captain as he was leaving for his vacation. I hope the new Captain is as eager to forgo St George as the Captain on my cruise. He may have taken liberties to dock in Hamilton as frequently as he did.

Thanks for a great report.

I am looking forward to this cruise on Sunday. It seems like it has been forever, now I am less than a week away!

Sorry to hear the retreat is a bust....I was really looking forward to that. I'm sure it will still be great...I am looking forward to relaxing in the sun with a good book, so as long as I can do that, I will be fine!

Thanks for your great review. We'll be on the Veendam next month & you just made us even more anxious to go! Now, what are we going to do to make the time pass quickly??? :)

One last question...were the Neptunes (jazz combo) still entertaining in the Ocean Bar?

Absolutely! I loved them. Sadly, I forgot the woman's name who sings and plays the piano. She took our request and spoke often to the crowd. I was friendly with the drummer, Matt. Their music was so nice. I enjoyed watching couples dance as they did.

Thanks for a great report.

I am looking forward to this cruise on Sunday. It seems like it has been forever, now I am less than a week away!

Sorry to hear the retreat is a bust....I was really looking forward to that. I'm sure it will still be great...I am looking forward to relaxing in the sun with a good book, so as long as I can do that, I will be fine!

Don't get me wrong, the Retreat is not a bust. Just the pool is a bust. The entire adult aft Lido deck with views, tables, loungers, pizza, a bar, tv screen.... it's a DO NOT MISS area of the ship. You might find you spend most of your time back there. Bring a book. You will love it.

Don't get me wrong, the Retreat is not a bust. Just the pool is a bust. The entire adult aft Lido deck with views, tables, loungers, pizza, a bar, tv screen.... it's a DO NOT MISS area of the ship. You might find you spend most of your time back there. Bring a book. You will love it.

Is Veendam's retreat adults only? There were so few kids on our cruise that I never saw any there. But there weren't any signs saying adults only. (Or did I miss them?)

The shallow "pool" (did you love the "no diving" sign?!?!?) looks charming. But the number of tiles it was shedding was surprising--it hasn't been there all that long. And there is no seating in the actual pool, unless you count a couple of tiled benches. The loungers in the adjacent areas sometimes had water around them and sometimes were dry. Very strange.

As someone has already said, they can't go back to a real pool because of cabins beneath this deck. I suspect that's one of the reasons they did this. In addition to pushing out the back to add cabins, they also got space for a few more inside cabins. I think the added push-out looks bad. The ship had a nicer profile before these changes.

I think they should consider higher sides and benches all around the central area, so you could use it as a "footbath", and maybe add another hot tub. There's a strange circular area that was never used. Maybe it's meant to be a bandstand?

I wonder if they're rethinking future refits, because I've yet to hear someone rave about the Retreat "pool."

I had hoped to go to one of the movies, but they weren't showing anything I particularly wanted to see. I don't think they showed the lounge shows up there.

Is Veendam's retreat adults only? There were so few kids on our cruise that I never saw any there. But there weren't any signs saying adults only. (Or did I miss them?)

The shallow "pool" (did you love the "no diving" sign?!?!?) looks charming. But the number of tiles it was shedding was surprising--it hasn't been there all that long. And there is no seating in the actual pool, unless you count a couple of tiled benches. The loungers in the adjacent areas sometimes had water around them and sometimes were dry. Very strange.

As someone has already said, they can't go back to a real pool because of cabins beneath this deck. I suspect that's one of the reasons they did this. In addition to pushing out the back to add cabins, they also got space for a few more inside cabins. I think the added push-out looks bad. The ship had a nicer profile before these changes.

I think they should consider higher sides and benches all around the central area, so you could use it as a "footbath", and maybe add another hot tub. There's a strange circular area that was never used. Maybe it's meant to be a bandstand?

I wonder if they're rethinking future refits, because I've yet to hear someone rave about the Retreat "pool."

I had hoped to go to one of the movies, but they weren't showing anything I particularly wanted to see. I don't think they showed the lounge shows up there.

Come to think of it, I don't know if it was an adult only area. I don't recall seeing kids there except one afternoon the little-kids program had a pizza-making activity with the counselors. Not much for kids to do there. And yes, I was careful not to dive into that pool!

As far as refits to the other ships, I heard that they canceled the pool on the others. As for Veendam, not too much else except perhaps raise the edges. I was thinking maybe it would be cool to add a sprinkler type system to splash, or sprinkle refreshing cool water on the loungers. Make it a splash pool. Then at least you could lie there and do something more than on the chairs just outside the pool. And putting a hot tub where that weird round area is would be a great idea.

I didn't think they played lounge shows. But that lady told me she watched one..... Maybe it was the Pina Coladas....

Come to think of it, I don't know if it was an adult only area. I don't recall seeing kids there except one afternoon the little-kids program had a pizza-making activity with the counselors. Not much for kids to do there. And yes, I was careful not to dive into that pool!

As far as refits to the other ships, I heard that they canceled the pool on the others. As for Veendam, not too much else except perhaps raise the edges. I was thinking maybe it would be cool to add a sprinkler type system to splash, or sprinkle refreshing cool water on the loungers. Make it a splash pool. Then at least you could lie there and do something more than on the chairs just outside the pool. And putting a hot tub where that weird round area is would be a great idea.

It wouldn't even have to be a jetted hot tub. They could keep it slightly cool and use it as a quick dip to cool off kind of thing.

I didn't think they played lounge shows. But that lady told me she watched one..... Maybe it was the Pina Coladas....

Wow, they must have been some good pina coladas!!!!!:D

That's good to know! I was really hoping there would be water in the "pool" to cool off when I got a little hot. I'll have to just have a few pina coladas to do that with instead.:D

It wouldn't even have to be a jetted hot tub. They could keep it slightly cool and use it as a quick dip to cool off kind of thing.

Wow, they must have been some good pina coladas!!!!!:D

From looking at the pics, I always thought that WAS a hot tub.

I'll let you know about the pina coladas when I get back!!!

PCD and also mal d'embarquement. Even though we had smooth as glass seas after leaving Bermuda, my room is rocking and the keyboard is getting away from me. Or is it a lack of Pina Colada....

On its next drydock refurb I bet you something is done with the Retreat. They can't put the pool back because there are rooms beneath it. Maybe rebuild it with taller sides so they can fill it deeper. Or get rid of the pool completely and make it all deck space. But even you and I must admit as I wrote, the relaxing adult retreat area at the stern served by a bar does sound enticing in the HAL advertisements. It probably is selling cruises for HAL right now, and will serve them well till they fix it.

Must I go back to work tomorrow? Will you approve my day off for me????

Maybe they could raise the sides and gimbal it in some way so the water would not slosh. But then people could be hurt in the mechanism. It is a real problem, for sure.

As for the day off---tell them I said it was OK.:D

Solo...Thanks so much for your wonderful review..Every time someone comes back from their Bermuda cruise, it gets me more & more excited..

We'll be in an Outside Cabin also on "A" Deck Aug,15..Were you in an outside or inside cabin?

Not only looking forward to the cruise, but so excited to be sailing out & back into NYC Harbor, past the Statue of Liberty once again..Last time we did it, was in 1995 on our own Sailboat..We're flying up a few days early to visit with DH's family, in Queens & then on to the cruise..

Approx what time were you able to board..Some one will be driving us into Manhattan & would like to figure out the best time to leave..

Also was it light yet, when you sailed back into NYC Harbor, or was the Ship early as usual? We many times try to be on deck for arrival too, but many times miss it...This is one time I really would like to be on deck..

I suspect HAL might have to carry me off the ship kicking & screaming, as it will be our first short Cruise since 2003...Already I wish it were longer..LOL..:(:)

Welcome Back & Thanks again..

Cheers.....:)Betty

Solo!!!! Thanks for posting. As Solo said the Retreat area is not to be missed. The wading pool was wasted space, but the rest of it was fun and the coolest people hang there. I met a great honeymoon couple, a great couple from NY, a great guy, also from NY, traveling solo (weirdly enough) and a great single lady, also from NY. I have a full review coming soon, but wanted to say hi to an old friend.

I also sailed on the Veendam 6/13-20, and in response to a couple of the questions in the thread:

We sailed into NY harbor right on schedule. The captain said we would pass the Statue of Liberty at about 6:20am and he was spot on. It was full daylight, as the sun rose about 5:15am.

The Retreat Pool does not seem to be an adults only area - we saw some children there on sea day afternoons (can't speak for the port days - we made the most of our time seeing the island), but they were not noisy or intrusive. Most of the water-loving kids spent their time at the Lido Pool, which was busy until about 5:30pm every afternoon.

We embarked about 2pm - there was a bit of a line waiting to check in at that time.

Just one quick word of advice for anyone who is sailing this season on the Veendam...be patient the first night at dinner if you are scheduled for open seating. It was really a zoo, as everyone naturally wanted to see the sights on the way out of NYC, and we all descended on the dining room at once. Chill - get a pager from the folks at the podium and go have a drink somewhere. Don't be upset and judge too harshly. Things will calm down by the next night and run smoothly from that point on. We met a waiter at dinner the first night that had been the assistant waiter on a prior cruise (he recognized me from 2004!!) and we requested his table every night from then on. He was awesome - a great representative of everything that makes Holland America so special, in my opinion.

Bon Voyage to all of you who are sailing this summer - I hope your cruise is just as wonderful as ours was!!

Solo...Thanks so much for your wonderful review..Every time someone comes back from their Bermuda cruise, it gets me more & more excited..

I know exactly what you mean. I hung onto every word in the reviews I read before my trip. This one turned out so nice. The people we met, the beautiful weather, the amazingly friendly staff, the stability of the ship in rough weather, the fun on the island with so much to do... The reviews I read just kept me in dream land until the real thing happened.

We'll be in an Outside Cabin also on "A" Deck Aug,15..Were you in an outside or inside cabin?

I had an outside cabin on A Deck 4, room 712. It is on the Port side facing, strangely enough, away from port when docked in Hamilton. It was a nice view of the harbor and it was private as no one walking past the ship would be able to see into my window, not that they would have wanted to...

Not only looking forward to the cruise, but so excited to be sailing out & back into NYC Harbor, past the Statue of Liberty once again..Last time we did it, was in 1995 on our own Sailboat..We're flying up a few days early to visit with DH's family, in Queens & then on to the cruise..

Approx what time were you able to board..Some one will be driving us into Manhattan & would like to figure out the best time to leave..

I got to the ship at 10:09am and was in boarding group 1. I was on the ship at 11:35 am. My brother in boarding group 4 was just a few minutes behind me. I was in the very last group to disembark at the end of the cruise and was off by 9:45 am so boarding must have started soon after.

Also was it light yet, when you sailed back into NYC Harbor, or was the Ship early as usual? We many times try to be on deck for arrival too, but many times miss it...This is one time I really would like to be on deck..

As Redsailstheseas wrote, the captain was exactly right about the time we got into port. It was light. I watched it from my window. It was a long night before and I wasn't ready to wake up and be out on deck so early.

I suspect HAL might have to carry me off the ship kicking & screaming, as it will be our first short Cruise since 2003...Already I wish it were longer..LOL..:(:)

Welcome Back & Thanks again..

Cheers.....:)Betty

Thank you for writing. Enjoy the trip

Solo!!!! Thanks for posting. As Solo said the Retreat area is not to be missed. The wading pool was wasted space, but the rest of it was fun and the coolest people hang there. I met a great honeymoon couple, a great couple from NY, a great guy, also from NY, traveling solo (weirdly enough) and a great single lady, also from NY. I have a full review coming soon, but wanted to say hi to an old friend.

Writing to you here is almost surreal. Was it all a fantasy? Did we really have such a great week? You and your husband were two of the coolest people I ever met. I miss you guys so much. The jokes, the fun, Jeffery... I'm so glad we all met.

Can't wait for your review.

The Retreat Pool does not seem to be an adults only area

I was mistaken about this. There were so few kids there that it just didn't register.

Just one quick word of advice for anyone who is sailing this season on the Veendam...be patient the first night at dinner if you are scheduled for open seating. It was really a zoo, as everyone naturally wanted to see the sights on the way out of NYC, and we all descended on the dining room at once.

You are so right! This even applied to the buffet. It was crazy the 1st night with the crowds and the Code Red status where you can't help yourself to anything at the buffet, even drinks. Things calmed down by breakfast the next morning.

We met a waiter at dinner the first night that had been the assistant waiter on a prior cruise (he recognized me from 2004!!) and we requested his table every night from then on. He was awesome - a great representative of everything that makes Holland America so special, in my opinion.

I don't know how they do it. The Veendam staff is a on a whole different planet than any other place I have ever been. I don't think you can train this; these are special people. And they are sincere as well, nothing forced or phony about them. It's a wow! factor on the cruise.

Archived