Questions about luggage--duffels okay?

I don't try to get people to buy luggage that is too expensive for their travels, but if you travel a few times a year, or expect a piece of luggage to last a few years, you may end up paying more in the long run if you have to continuously purchase new cheap luggage. Just like good leather shoes will last years, but vinyl will only last a few months.

I am gong to offer a little different angle on this over present luggage argument. We do travel a few times a year, and rarely more than that. The trips vary in duration to the point that sometimes we need a full size piece, and other times an overnight/carryon size is adequate. I still have cheap luggage that I bought ten years ago, but the style is for the most part obsolete compared to even todays less expensive (say around $100) wheeled luggage, and we pretty much leave it in the back of the closet. If we were to spend the money on a good set, we wouldn't necessarily get more longevity since we are still working and don't have unlimited vacation yet. And, that expensive set I might have bought 10 years ago, would be stylishly and technically obsolete at the same time as my 10 year old cheap set. So, which price point serves me well? As far as warranties, I do not look forward to trying to find a box somewhere to send back an expensive lifetime warranty set that now has a broken wheel. So, it gets sent back, you pay for the shipping there, and 6 weeks later, I might have that piece back.

My kids both have the "large" duffle bags from LL Bean that they have used on 2 trips to Disney, a cruise, & other family vacations. They are great & have really lasted well. They will be using them again on iur upcoming LOS cruise next month.

DH & I purchased a nice American Tourister set of luggage before our last cruise in 07 & its held up well through multiple uses. We do have TSA locks that we use on our luggage but we don't lock the kids duffles.

I am gong to offer a little different angle on this over present luggage argument. We do travel a few times a year, and rarely more than that. The trips vary in duration to the point that sometimes we need a full size piece, and other times an overnight/carryon size is adequate. I still have cheap luggage that I bought ten years ago, but the style is for the most part obsolete compared to even todays less expensive (say around $100) wheeled luggage, and we pretty much leave it in the back of the closet. If we were to spend the money on a good set, we wouldn't necessarily get more longevity since we are still working and don't have unlimited vacation yet. And, that expensive set I might have bought 10 years ago, would be stylishly and technically obsolete at the same time as my 10 year old cheap set. So, which price point serves me well? As far as warranties, I do not look forward to trying to find a box somewhere to send back an expensive lifetime warranty set that now has a broken wheel. So, it gets sent back, you pay for the shipping there, and 6 weeks later, I might have that piece back.

I had very sturdy (Kirkland) luggage, easy to pack and held up very well but on the heavy side. With the new regulations on weight limits I have had to buy new luggage (not a set) but one piece at a time. Even it you only travel a couple of times a year - with the airlines being more strict it is worth it to get light luggage to avoid over limit charges. This becomes more important if you need to fly local airlines overseas.

I have found some inexpensive luggage to be hard to handle - they don't roll well.

debmarie--our duffels are NOT rolling so I may have to rethink using them. I was hoping not to have to purchase any luggage but may have to. Maybe I can find some reasonably priced rolling duffels.

I am getting soooo excited for our first cruise. It has been wonderful finding these boards and getting such great information to help me. Thanks, everyone--your experience and help has been priceless.

If you have a Costco store in your area they have great rolling duffels for about $30. My older son used one for an overseas month-long youth trip with lots of packing and moving (every few days) and it held up really well. Just bought another for my younger son's trip. It's the go-to place for parents in our area, I think they sell them every summer.

We're going on our first cruise soon, and, as you'll be able to tell from my questions, we are hardly seasoned travellers.

I have been planning for my teens to use duffel bags as their suitcases. Will these be hardy enough for airplane travel? They would also each have a smaller carry-on bag for valuables.

Also, I don't think we have locks for the duffels. Is that okay? Is it necessary to lock our bags? Do you know if you can purchase locks separately (that didn't come with the duffels)?

Thanks for the help. Our usual trips consist of driving to the beach and throwing everything in the back of the van. I'm hoping to avoid purchasing additional luggage for this trip but don't want to use something that is inadequate.

Military travel will duffels all the time. If it can handle what the military dishes out, it should be fine for you.

You don't have to have locks, but I would highly recommend them. I would suggest a TSA approved lock. Any store that sells luggage will sell TSA approved locks.

As far as warranties, I do not look forward to trying to find a box somewhere to send back an expensive lifetime warranty set that now has a broken wheel. So, it gets sent back, you pay for the shipping there, and 6 weeks later, I might have that piece back.

For those that have luggage that is covered for life, if you are in a relatively large city, there is likely a luggage store that will hand the repair work. We are in Dallas and we have taken our travel pro luggage there and they fix it, no questions asked. Problems we have had are mostly on the handle and wheels - I think the damage occurs when we check the bags.

I totally agree. If my option was to box up the luggage and ship it somewhere, it is unlikely that I would bother.

Hang onto that cheap set you purchased 10 years ago that is still going strong, the quality you got there is not to be repeated.

Call your local luggage store, if there is one nearby, to see if they can help you ship out your broken piece of luggage. Our company has its own repair facility and will repair (most of) the name brands we carry. For a small fee, we box up luggage and send it in for our customers. It usually takes 3-4 weeks to get the piece back and we have loaner cases for people who have the need.

Edit to add, the fee we charge is probably less than what it would be for you to pay for shipping each way.

Another this is that even if you cannot do this (luggage store doesn't carry the brand you have), we will give you, free of charge, a box if you should have to send it in yourself. We also have a list of local luggage repair facilities for those who have pieces we don't carry.

Hang onto that cheap set you purchased 10 years ago that is still going strong, the quality you got there is not to be repeated.

Call your local luggage store, if there is one nearby, to see if they can help you ship out your broken piece of luggage. Our company has its own repair facility and will repair (most of) the name brands we carry. For a small fee, we box up luggage and send it in for our customers. It usually takes 3-4 weeks to get the piece back and we have loaner cases for people who have the need.

Edit to add, the fee we charge is probably less than what it would be for you to pay for shipping each way.

Another this is that even if you cannot do this (luggage store doesn't carry the brand you have), we will give you, free of charge, a box if you should have to send it in yourself. We also have a list of local luggage repair facilities for those who have pieces we don't carry.

I wish I could say that the type of service you offer is the norm and available where we are, but in Northern Minnesota, you would be the exception. When we were disembarking from the CB in April in San Juan, we were met by a piece of the Wenger rolling 29" upright with a pull handle that was hanging on by 1 side. 1 wheel was now pointing at about a 45 degree angle to rolling straight. And Princess had a floatilla of employees just handing out "damaged" luggage claim paperwork. We called Princess and received the "take it in for an estimate" response and informed them that the nearest luggage repair was approximately 150 miles away. Ultimately, I received a $100 check, since I didn't still have the receipt. But, that was probably all I paid for it anyway.

Out of curiousity....what would you consider a reasonable price to pay for a durable bag for someone who isn't looking to have a "fashion" brand on the side of it? And what do you consider to be the life expectancy of a piece in times used, since years is kind of ambiguous if you are using it 12 times a year or 2 times a year.

I would say from $50- 150.00 for a quality piece of luggage is avaerage. Try TJ Maxx, Kohls, Macys (catch the sale) I got a great deal on a 22' carryon Kipling dufffle for $50.00 at TJ Maxx(retails $235.00- I used to sell it full price at my store) Some less expensive luggage is decent I am not crazy about Targets luggage(one way specials)

I recommend these brands- not expensive but durable to hold up

Delsey, Atlantic, Ricardo Beverly Hills, travel pro, some lines of Samsonite or American Tourister, some clothing designers license their name brand to luggage.

I also have tips on shopping for luggage: Lift it over your head (larger pieces too) if you can't lift it empty what makes you think you can lift it fully packed.

inline, ball baring wheels roll it around the store, upright handles: if it sticks put it back- it will do it to you when traveling.

fabric, color, style-personal preference

Personally I wouldn't go larger than a 26" a 30" rolling duffle would be an exception. I'm packing for vacation not the apocalypse

Everyone has their own travel and packing styles. Buy a bag that suits the type of traveling you do most often (on this board cruises)

Upkeep of existing luggage WD40-upright handles or wheels if they start to stick. Phillips screw driver tighten screws on bag. candle wax or bar soap the zippers, keep zippers pulls/tabs on top- one reason why they get damaged and break.

Okay I'm done:D

Alrana

I would say from $50- 150.00 for a quality piece of luggage is avaerage. Try TJ Maxx, Kohls, Macys (catch the sale) I got a great deal on a 22' carryon Kipling dufffle for $50.00 at TJ Maxx(retails $235.00- I used to sell it full price at my store) Some less expensive luggage is decent I am not crazy about Targets luggage(one way specials)

I recommend these brands- not expensive but durable to hold up

Delsey, Atlantic, Ricardo Beverly Hills, travel pro, some lines of Samsonite or American Tourister, some clothing designers license their name brand to luggage.

I also have tips on shopping for luggage: Lift it over your head (larger pieces too) if you can't lift it empty what makes you think you can lift it fully packed.

inline, ball baring wheels roll it around the store, upright handles: if it sticks put it back- it will do it to you when traveling.

fabric, color, style-personal preference

Personally I wouldn't go larger than a 26" a 30" rolling duffle would be an exception. I'm packing for vacation not the apocalypse

Everyone has their own travel and packing styles. Buy a bag that suits the type of traveling you do most often (on this board cruises)

Upkeep of existing luggage WD40-upright handles or wheels if they start to stick. Phillips screw driver tighten screws on bag. candle wax or bar soap the zippers, keep zippers pulls/tabs on top- one reason why they get damaged and break.

Okay I'm done:D

Alrana

Greatly appreciate the insight. I expected to hear that I was buying crap if I was only paying $100. Nice to know that the stores you mentioned are the places I have used to purchase luggage in the past. Though, I will say, that TJ Maxx kind of lost my business on an exchange of a piece that "fell apart"....a Wenger Lucerne Lite I believe... and they were unresponsive to assisting me, whereas a similar problem wth a High Sierra from Kohl's resulted in an immediate off the rack exchange. Geez...I'm not exactly sounding like a very good marketer for these 2 brands, am I. You've been a great resource.

I was hoping not to have to purchase any luggage but may have to. Maybe I can find some reasonably priced rolling duffels.

Cecilia, rolling duffles are a lot more convenient to handle, especially if you want your kids to carry them. I use a Briggs & Riley rolling duffle and find it extremely easy to transport. It’s the ultimate combination of style and functionality. Why don’t you also take a look at their rolling duffles and see if you like any one?

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We went to Costco and they had 30" rolling duffels for $40. They seem quite durable, smooth-rolling, and roomy, as well as being fairly light-weight. They offer a 10-year warranty.

I know that more costly options would probably hold up longer. But, for us, I think these will be fine. As I said earlier, most of our trips consist of driving to the beach, so these duffels probably won't see too much air travel (or the harsh handling that can go along with it).

I'm actually planning to use one myself because I like it better than my suitcase. My husband is going back to Costco today to buy another one.

a couple of the posters appear to have luggage retail experience. Do either of you have any experience with either the High Sierra AT3 or Samsonite rolling duffels?

16 years I was in the luggage biz. this is from my experience with them.

I am not a fan of High Sierra as a product in general too many issues and customer returns. The High Sierra AT3 I find the fabric by the wheels , fabric frays after a while, zipper sticks and comes apart, and upright handle sticks.(many time handle sticks out of the box and we have to send it back) High Sierra does have good cusotmer service if its damaged BUT you should deal directly through them.( sends a new replacement of same bag-in some instances) Samsonite rolling duffles wasn't sold at my location I'd trust samsonite over high sierra any day.

Alrana

Archived