Ginger Capsules?

I have read many different posts on seasickness remedies and I think that ginger capsules may be the route for our family. Have you used ginger and what was the method you used--(I read someone started taking capsules a week before and then every morning of the cruise and someone else drank some tea or ginger ale when they felt nauseous.) I'd love to hear your personal experiences for any form of ginger and how well it worked for you.:)

I brought Ginger pills with us on our 2008 cruise as it was my kids' first, and I remembered that when I first cruised I felt a little 'queasy' the first night out 'till I got my sea legs.

We didn't 'pre-medicate' before leaving...at the first sign of any odd feeling, just took a pill and made sure to remember to keep eating. Empty stomachs only worsen the symptoms.

I thought they worked wonderfully and it was nice to take something that wouldn't make you drowsy.

I have read many different posts on seasickness remedies and I think that ginger capsules may be the route for our family. Have you used ginger and what was the method you used--(I read someone started taking capsules a week before and then every morning of the cruise and someone else drank some tea or ginger ale when they felt nauseous.) I'd love to hear your personal experiences for any form of ginger and how well it worked for you.:)

I've used ginger and it works great for me. I take one in the morning, with some water, just before breakfast, and one in the evening, with some water, just before dinner.

The ships infirmary has this pill that they will give to you for free, is you get sea sick. I'm not sure what it is but my son who gets motion sickness in a car takes it and he feels great in about 10 minutes with no side effects like drowsiness. I wish I knew what it was that they gave him but sorry I don't remember. I have not tried any of the other remedies. I have heard to try and not eat a lot of greasy foods. Fortunately, I have never been bothered.

we take GINGER caps 550mg a day or two before our cruise...with meals

2 capsules and all during the cruise with meals and also if we are taking tenders or doing boat excursions; we also drink GingerAle and make sure that we eat and keep food in our stomachs during the day which is REAL EASY on a CRUISE...if you take MEDICATIONs check with your DR to be sure its OKAY for you to take the GINGER:)

Be cautious.....ginger had a totally negative effect on my husband. It made him very irritable and short tempered. He stopped the ginger and took the pills given out by the ship and was a much happier sailor.

Are you sure your husband was taking ginger? Ginger is not a drug.

I am very prone to motion sickness and ginger saves me. I start taking it 2 days before I cruise. When I'm on board I take one in the morning and one at dinner time. Drugs tend to have the opposite effects on me (ones that make normal people drowsy make me jittery for example) so I'm too scared to take dramamine or any of the other traditional fixes. I also agree with everyone who said to keep food in your tummy.

good luck!

Sea sickness/Motion sickness is caused by inner ear/motion problems. Ginger,Ginger Ale and Ginger Capsules tend to sooth the stomach while suffering motion/sea sickness but don`t affect the inner ear.

Dramamine or Bonine attack the inner ear balance problem. I use the less drowsy Bonine and some ginger on rough sea days and it works for me.

Rich

I swear by the ginger pills and they work wonders on me. I start taking them 3 days before we fly to Florida and then once onboard I take one in the morning (except sea day mornings I take two), at lunch I take another one and at dinner I take two. I do this routine every day while on board and continue for about three days after we get home.

taking GINGER usually always HELPs me...when i take a drug i have used the patch too i have side effects..the PATCH was AWFUL:eek:

i also have the Sea-Bands if needed and am going to TRY MotionEaze

found at Boat Supply places for my next cruise...i will just be READY with EVERYTHING:)

I swear by the ginger. It not only helps on the ship, but also is great for driving in port, as some taxi/tour drivers drive quite fast around the curvy and tight roads in the Caribbean ports. Ginger also helps aid in digestion and has no side effects!

Sea sickness/Motion sickness is caused by inner ear/motion problems. Ginger,Ginger Ale and Ginger Capsules tend to sooth the stomach while suffering motion/sea sickness but don`t affect the inner ear.

Dramamine or Bonine attack the inner ear balance problem. I use the less drowsy Bonine and some ginger on rough sea days and it works for me.

Rich

Can you take the bonine after symptoms occur and it still will help?

I have heard that once you're sick--there isn't much you can do...? I typically avoid any medicine at all cost--but I don't want to be sick for any length of time on this cruise--waited too long--lol

Thanks everyone for all the tips and info--It is looking like ginger will serve a purpose for us. --I do think I will take other things along just to be prepared. (non drowsy Bonine?) I am susceptible to side effects--so I think I will not try the patch.

I have been reading the horror stories of some recent experiences the first day at sea out of Seattle--and one account of a woman actually crawling up the corridor. Yikes! :eek: I DO NOT want that to be me...although it could be...I can see it happening--lol. I actually visualized it as myself as I was reading the post. ugh!

I, too, use ginger capsules starting with 1 capsule twice a day for two days prior to cruise, then 1 per day on the cruise. I also take hard ginger candy - my favorite is Gin-Gin which I get at a local health food store. I like hard candy anyway and these are delicious. I eat them whether I'm travelling or not!

If you have any concerns about potential side effects of whatever you decide to use, try it out a few weeks before your cruise.

I have heard that once you're sick--there isn't much you can do...? I typically avoid any medicine at all cost--but I don't want to be sick for any length of time on this cruise--waited too long--lol

Ginger will work after you start to feel sick.

It is better to have it in your system prior to symptoms. I`ve played `catch up` with the Bonine when feeling queasy but it takes a couple hours.

If you`re worried about the effects of Bonine try a tablet at home before you cruise. Walmart has a box of I think 14 tabs for around $5.00.

When cruising I monitor the weather forcast and if rough seas are forecast I take one in advance. When seas are smooth-rum works fine.:)

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Archived